What's your preferred non-cash sail race/regatta/series prize?

5 gallon bucket (sponsors logos of course) filled with boat soap, sponges, useful boat tools and life line drink holders.

Heavy beer mugs. Still use the few I won.

Rail meat padding

My personal favorite-- winch handles--

Mizzmo

Anarchist
Monterey, CA
One regatta I did had a yellow burgee for the regatta leader after each day... kind of a tour de-france thing, that was cool. Another had hats for winning each day, we were able to get a couple and my crew really loves theirs. I think giving something so that the owner can distribute it to the crew is really great for the boat's morale. Finally something of local or traditional significance. There is a race in the northern bay that gives out hand painted duck decoys... apparently past winners put them on their bow before the first race. I have to admit that is the trophy I covet most at the moment, besides maybe an alligator tooth.

G

I will tell you after Friday. I just picked up prizes for our winter series that I think will be a hit.

ftbinc

Chciago
Useful and displayable items:

Really miss the NOOD and Verve shirts for entire crew (useful and rewarded entire crew for the effort) with the finish place on them.

Sailbags... I still use the sailcloth bag I won in 2005. Others bags given to crew members...

Brag flags

neuronz

Anarchist
europe
Having read some of the posts above the ideas I liked most were the action shot or the bottle with alcoholic content. Engraving makes it nicer, but not necessarily needed. In general I like the idea of useful stuff, not something that collects dust.

I always liked bags as well. if build from old sailcloth they can be customized with ranks and maybe just use a measurement sticker to show which regatta/class it was. I got a nice rigging bag and a watertite one so far and use them frequently.

You could also give away plates you can actually eat from.

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
I'm of the opinion that the prizes should be relevant to the event. To wit:

For Transpac, First place trophy would be a rebuilt slip in Ala Wai with the boat's name on a plaque.

For the Bermuda Race (or NYYC Cruise), First place might be an engraved scissors and permission to chase after and cut off the club tie of the RC member of your choice.

For the TP52's, First place might be a new bank account in the Cayman Islands or a new corporate PO Box in Delaware

For Swiftsure, First place might be permission to shoot the bagpipe player in front of the Empress.

For any PHRF regatta, First Place might be permission to change the rating of any three boats in the fleet by 3 seconds, or one boat by 9 seconds.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Having read some of the posts above the ideas I liked most were the action shot or the bottle with alcoholic content. Engraving makes it nicer, but not necessarily needed. In general I like the idea of useful stuff, not something that collects dust.

I always liked bags as well. if build from old sailcloth they can be customized with ranks and maybe just use a measurement sticker to show which regatta/class it was. I got a nice rigging bag and a watertite one so far and use them frequently.

You could also give away plates you can actually eat from.
above is Best so far... As to the booz... Handing out bottles in a bottle bag or wooden display box solves the engraving issue... One of my faves was a btl of wine, in a box, that had event name and class/place burned in with a soldering iron after stuff handed out.... Saved RC time and if you didn't want it, no need to wait for use of the iron... Bottle is displayed inside.... ;)

When you think about it, Actually getting a couple branding irons with annual event graphic and changeable years and classes might be a good idea... handing out blank wooden planks every year would be a cheap and cool way to go..... Might lead to mas entertainment when you get a blank board as an award.... B)

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
If it's about getting people back then reward the mid fleet & top 10 guys. Competitive guys will come because they are competitive, it's about looking after 10-50 if you want numbers to grow

Last edited by a moderator:

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Some posts might have drifted away from the $30 per award realm, but definitely some very good ideas. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

stinky

Anarchist
Rum in an engraved bottle with the race/series name and year on it.
I like that too, but it's outside our budget. I've never seen it with rum, Veuve Cliquot in an engraved bottle in a bigger budget race for 1st's only is the closest I've seen, but that was cool.

Pictures would probably be my first choice too, though logistically difficult as mentioned. With my luck, we'd miss shots some of the winners...

I prefer flags, because everything else I've won (not much) ends up in the back of a closet. At least flags come out once in a while. So far it appears flags are not a universal choice, but that's what I was asking.
Anyone with access to a laser cutter w/ a rotary axis could do it. Shouldn't be that expensive.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Rum in an engraved bottle with the race/series name and year on it.
I like that too, but it's outside our budget. I've never seen it with rum, Veuve Cliquot in an engraved bottle in a bigger budget race for 1st's only is the closest I've seen, but that was cool.
Pictures would probably be my first choice too, though logistically difficult as mentioned. With my luck, we'd miss shots some of the winners...

I prefer flags, because everything else I've won (not much) ends up in the back of a closet. At least flags come out once in a while. So far it appears flags are not a universal choice, but that's what I was asking.
Anyone with access to a laser cutter w/ a rotary axis could do it. Shouldn't be that expensive.
Assuming you're referring to engraving a bottle, $10/bottle appears to be the going rate for basic text (20 characters over 3 lines) - not bad.

Great White

Super Anarchist
Bremerton, WA USA
The awards I liked the least were the engraved plaques usually mounted on a wood plank. Last time I moved, I threw away a couple of big boxes from 25 years of racing.

Engraved coffee mugs were good, but now I have a case of them and they have my name on them and I don't feel comfortable donating them.

I like duffle bags with the event and boat name embroidered. I am still using my favorite from 1982.

I have received tote bags, again with boat name and event.

Crystal plates, not a big fan, but have used them for Thanksgiving serving dishes.

Even though I am not a drinker, I like the hip flask I received a couple years ago.

Knives are nice.

Big tall glass beer mugs. I have six and use them for smoothies and storing change.

I have a few nice trophies, metal sculptures. One special one is a cedar box with First Nations carving on the lid from Swiftsure.

One club is now using flags with event, boat name and placing. I like those and have a couple displayed.

Never received one, but I think a pewter mug might be cool.

I guess most awards are nice as long as they are not the same year after year.

Varan

Super Anarchist
One regatta I did had a yellow burgee for the regatta leader after each day... kind of a tour de-france thing, that was cool. Another had hats for winning each day, we were able to get a couple and my crew really loves theirs. I think giving something so that the owner can distribute it to the crew is really great for the boat's morale. Finally something of local or traditional significance. There is a race in the northern bay that gives out hand painted duck decoys... apparently past winners put them on their bow before the first race. I have to admit that is the trophy I covet most at the moment, besides maybe an alligator tooth.
I did a target once. After day one, I suck it on the leader's transom. After day two, it was on mine, but unfortunately it didn't stay there. We had great fun with that target. Like the idea of a flag though. Bit more visible (plus if you make a really big ass flag, a bit more drag and distraction). Just don't confuse it with a penalty acceptance flag.

Varan

Super Anarchist
You people are getting soft. After 50 posts, nobody has yet mentioned hookers and blow.
For $30 I don't think I would even want the willing hooker to give me a blow, and you sure ain't buying coke at that price.

jerryj2me

Super Anarchist
Mix it up - trophies and plaques are fine. We had a good year last season and I already got too many duffle bags.

Latest posts