When do you just fucking Give Up ?

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Years back I wanted to get back into dinghy sailing,  and bought a used boat at a fair price - discounted because it needed a new mast.

Bought the new mast and it failed.  Simply broke about 3 feet down from the tip,  while sailing in from a day on the water.  No capsizes,  no mast strikes,  just another old-guy roll-tack and CRACK!

Musta been shipping damage,  you say to yourself and you repair it,  because it was an expensive carbon mast.

Next sail,  same drill - an hour or two of good sailing and then on the trip uphill to the club...CRACK - out of a tack,  there goes the top 5 feet.

Limp home, feeling pretty embarrassed.  Order new top mast.  Wait - can't do that,  need to order a whole new spar...so a grand+ later new mast is received. 

You gotta know at this point the mast - top section especially - gets tender-loving care and close attention when handling, storing and transporting.

And just the same,  you know where it's going.  Yep - after a nice 3 hour sail with one of our talented junior sailors to chase around offshore (thanks Max)  we head up the old channel and a handful of tacks later the top 5 feet has again snapped off - this time the luff track unzips and I'm lucky to get a tow back to the club.

Would YOU bother buying a third mast ?   I just can't bring myself to make that bet again.  I've spent like 3 grand in masts and haven't sailed the boat 15 hours - I just can't afford this thing.

I can't even look at it anymore without feeling like a complete Rube.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
20180903_142515.jpg

20180903_142608.jpg

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Kinda what I'm thinking. 

Just sending good money after bad at this point,  which really seems too bad because the rest of the boat seems to work well.

mad

Super Anarchist
Kinda what I'm thinking. 

Just sending good money after bad at this point,  which really seems too bad because the rest of the boat seems to work well.
Without you saying what boat and mast, you’re not going to get much help. 

Edit,

i see you did. 

Surely the class association and the mast supplier will want to fix this? What do they say?

Last edited by a moderator:

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
That is break number 2,  I think  ( by looking at the dates on the photos)

No,  that is NOT how a carbon mast is supposed to look.  

In the 25 years I windsurfed I bought and sailed a lot of carbon masts - never had one anything like this fragile.  I know stiff & light = brittle.  This mast got the care a newborn would be jealous of.

Class vendor can't be bothered - no warranty, it's been too long since purchase anyway. 

Basically:  "Buy another top mast for a grand or Go Away."   and I'm leaning heavy toward the Going Away part.

Anybody want a Megabyte ?   Eight spar sections included,  some assembly required.

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Megabyte
Sounds like junk, don't give them another penny.  They owe you now.  Shame on them.

http://www.zimsailing.com/megabyte.html

The Megabtye is a fast, yet stable boat that can be sailed with two crew or raced singlehanded. The boat was designed to carry some “serious weight” with a proper cockpit laid out for two people, but with the simplicity of a single sail. The Megabyte’s lightweight, tapered, carbon fiber mast and fully battened Mylar sail provide plenty of power when needed, and are easy to depower with well led controls. Sailors well over 200 lbs can singlehand the Megabyte competitively and comfortably thanks to its powerful sail plan, deep cockpit, and high boom. The two piece carbon fiber mast and 130 lb hull make Megabytes  easy to car top and transport. The Megabyte was designed by Farr Yacht Design and selected as Boat of the Year by Sailing World in 2000.

mad

Super Anarchist
That is break number 2,  I think  ( by looking at the dates on the photos)

No,  that is NOT how a carbon mast is supposed to look.  

In the 25 years I windsurfed I bought and sailed a lot of carbon masts - never had one anything like this fragile.  I know stiff & light = brittle.  This mast got the care a newborn would be jealous of.

Class vendor can't be bothered - no warranty, it's been too long since purchase anyway. 

Basically:  "Buy another top mast for a grand or Go Away."   and I'm leaning heavy toward the Going Away part.

Anybody want a Megabyte ?   Eight spar sections included,  some assembly required.
Any chance of using another mast section. Or just if you borrow or buy the mould and make them yourself? 

Seems slightly odd service unless there’s something else going on. 

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Boat is still being built and sold,  that's not the issue.  They will gladly sell me another one - I'm just not feeling any bit of confidence in the product at this point.

"Buy or Borrow the mold" ?   Plastic track causing ???    -  what the actual fuck ?

At this stage it's try to repair it, AGAIN - and, since this last one un-zipped the track it'll be a really FUN repair job,   or simple say, "Balls" and throw mess in a dumpster.

If I do the repair it's only to make it complete to sell to someone else. At this point I just don't trust it.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
They are most assuredly not the result of my epic roll-tacks,  that is safe to say.  Hadn't considered assassins.

mad

Super Anarchist
Boat is still being built and sold,  that's not the issue.  They will gladly sell me another one - I'm just not feeling any bit of confidence in the product at this point.

"Buy or Borrow the mold" ?   Plastic track causing ???    -  what the actual fuck ?

At this stage it's try to repair it, AGAIN - and, since this last one un-zipped the track it'll be a really FUN repair job,   or simple say, "Balls" and throw mess in a dumpster.

If I do the repair it's only to make it complete to sell to someone else. At this point I just don't trust it.
Don’t buy a thing until somebody understands the mast problems and answers those questions. Doesn’t sound fit for purpose, or you’re doing something very strange with it. Either way, don’t spend any more cash. 

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
No further advice or insight is forthcoming from factory,  just "we've never heard of this before".

If I'd taken a big digger with the boat off Diamond Head or rolled it in the surf, or clipped spars with someone - or, heck, even fumbled the thing while loading it on the car,  I'd be blaming myself - even if that'd be a fragile tube - but in complete honesty I didn't DO anything to it that'd account for a break - certainly not in the exact location of the prior break.

But in the opinion of the builder,  it's just fine.  THEY have no problems.  So I guess it's just me, then.

Too bad,  I liked the boat.

When someone asks why I don't sail small boats anymore,  I can only say:  " I tried. "