When will USA-17 come to San Francisco Bay?

NaturalLime

SFO
I remember hearing somewhere that if San Francisco became the chosen venue, that USA-17 would be brought there as a centerpiece? Yes, No?

Dixie

Reporters
SF
It could not get here soon enough. On my Q list as well. If you are at the Q&A also Bob, we should talk through our questions.

bcopper

Super Anarchist
Probably about 35 to 40 knots feathering it with the short rig ;) .

I thought I picked up a comment from a reliable source several months back that if SF was selected as the venue, that USA 17 would be brought to the Bay in September '11. Not sure if this still holds true or not, but we'll hopefully find out tomorrow.

They start tooling around the bay on USA 17, and that will certainly be a major spectacle. Talk about creating publicity, holy shit - that will easily create some WW ink, at least in the sailing rags. "Oracle Racing USA 17's first sail since winning the 33rd America's Cup in Valencia Spain, this time on the SF Bay, venue of the 34th Cup"

What a perfect vehicle to generate corporate sponsorship for the event. Dress JS up in his NID robo gear again and offer to take a few executives of $25M + sponsors for a quick spin on the bay with some photos. Could actually be a good advertising vehicle for Oracle.

bcopper

Super Anarchist
No kidding, low miles, a big sail inventory including a wing, and I heard the crew has their shit together too :) .

All they need is a little wind and someone to hit the bottom once a week.

DogBalls

Super Anarchist
Planet Earth
One major issue I see with USA 17 coming in to the bay is how to handle the spectator boats. Remember when that jerk off brought is Falcon in to the bay and the shit fight it created. It looked like a bunch of starving Ethiopians attacking a bag of rice during a famine, chaos, anarchy, and general panic. Now think of 17 going a moderate 25 knots through a pile of dopes on their 4 knot shit boxes. There'd be carnage of an epic proportion.

Seriously, you'd almost have to ban boats on the bay in a certain area the first couple of times they sailed because of the "fear factor" an inexperienced cruiser would feel when they saw 17 bearing down on them. The average cruiser would freeze and be a major hazard to themselves and others. Don't give me the Blue Angels argument, they're 200 feet above the deck and everyone is motoring in their boats. But there would have to be controlled areas like when they roll the boats in during fleet week.

Done right, bringing 17 on to The Bay for the first time, and it's a MAJOR win for SF & the AC. Done wrong and the fucknuts in City Hall will use it as ammo to kill the AC so they can support some homeless Ethiopian begging for rice on the streets of SF. Like SF doesn't have a homeless problem or anything.

Everyone will get to see the real deal and get excited for the AC in SF!

NaturalLime

SFO
One major issue I see with USA 17 coming in to the bay is how to handle the spectator boats. Remember when that jerk off brought is Falcon in to the bay and the shit fight it created. It looked like a bunch of starving Ethiopians attacking a bag of rice during a famine, chaos, anarchy, and general panic. Now think of 17 going a moderate 25 knots through a pile of dopes on their 4 knot shit boxes. There'd be carnage of an epic proportion.

Seriously, you'd almost have to ban boats on the bay in a certain area the first couple of times they sailed because of the "fear factor" an inexperienced cruiser would feel when they saw 17 bearing down on them. The average cruiser would freeze and be a major hazard to themselves and others. Don't give me the Blue Angels argument, they're 200 feet above the deck and everyone is motoring in their boats. But there would have to be controlled areas like when they roll the boats in during fleet week.

Done right, bringing 17 on to The Bay for the first time, and it's a MAJOR win for SF & the AC. Done wrong and the fucknuts in City Hall will use it as ammo to kill the AC so they can support some homeless Ethiopian begging for rice on the streets of SF. Like SF doesn't have a homeless problem or anything.

USA-17 would have to be assembled in the Bay, not sailed in like the Maltese Falcon. That alone will give the locals time to assimilate their large new friend. While she is being made seaworthy, an outreach to remind mariners of the rule of gross tonnage and the personal costs of pranging USA-17 should keep things under control. I have lots of practice keeping my 4 knot shit box out of the way of the spinnaker wielding crazies. I will hold everyone else to my high standards. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

bcopper

Super Anarchist

Never underestimate the brilliance and foresight of visionaries spawned within the US.

This problem was quickly and easily solved well over 100 years ago before tri-mirans ever exceeded 15 knots in uncrowded harbors.

/monthly_01_2011/post-24261-054051900%201294204895_thumb.jpeg

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 2

TekkaMaki

Anybody have the inside scoop on USA 17 and the Smithsonian Museum?

I heard there was an offer to house it there. Is this true?

atwinda

Anarchist
While I have no doubt that USA 17 will end up in sf, I simply cannot see them sailing it (especially with the wing) in the bay. I was just speaking to someone who has brought a large trimaran (Geronimo) into the bay on their return from japan. He said after crossing the pacific twice with the crew, he hadn't seen them more terrified than when it came to docking in sf. Even with sails down, those wing masts still generate more than enough power to get the boat going faster than you'd think.

Also, USA 17 needs a whole support team for even the most simple of tasks. I am sure Larry has enough money to pay the guys for a week to get it ready for a few days, sail it around the bay once, and then disassemble it.. But I just don't see it happening. Furthermore, there is a quote from I believe JS, that they hadn't pushed the boat harder than they did in their efforts to catch and pass a5, and that every load alarm on the boat was going off. If that slight swell, and fuck all for wind, was triggering the alarms, I'd say 1 minute in the bay would blow the boat up- and there isn't really a good reason to destroy that boat for a victory lap.

Now, if it does take a victory lap, I would suspect it would be with a small wing (maybe a prototype ac72 wing). Which I guess we could call the chicken wing (or CW) cause you all love your abbreviations so much). I guess M1 is a possibly, but we don't know the extent the boat was modified (read how much structure was changed) to accept the wing.

What I am saying is- don't be surprised if USA-17 is only a nice shore side attraction.

NaturalLime

SFO
While I have no doubt that USA 17 will end up in sf, I simply cannot see them sailing it (especially with the wing) in the bay. I was just speaking to someone who has brought a large trimaran (Geronimo) into the bay on their return from japan. He said after crossing the pacific twice with the crew, he hadn't seen them more terrified than when it came to docking in sf. Even with sails down, those wing masts still generate more than enough power to get the boat going faster than you'd think.

Also, USA 17 needs a whole support team for even the most simple of tasks. I am sure Larry has enough money to pay the guys for a week to get it ready for a few days, sail it around the bay once, and then disassemble it.. But I just don't see it happening. Furthermore, there is a quote from I believe JS, that they hadn't pushed the boat harder than they did in their efforts to catch and pass a5, and that every load alarm on the boat was going off. If that slight swell, and fuck all for wind, was triggering the alarms, I'd say 1 minute in the bay would blow the boat up- and there isn't really a good reason to destroy that boat for a victory lap.

Now, if it does take a victory lap, I would suspect it would be with a small wing (maybe a prototype ac72 wing). Which I guess we could call the chicken wing (or CW) cause you all love your abbreviations so much). I guess M1 is a possibly, but we don't know the extent the boat was modified (read how much structure was changed) to accept the wing.

What I am saying is- don't be surprised if USA-17 is only a nice shore side attraction.
Summer morning winds on the Bay are predictable and mild. We have a well organized wind machine here called the Central Valley.

NaturalLime

SFO
Also, USA 17 needs a whole support team for even the most simple of tasks. I am sure Larry has enough money to pay the guys for a week to get it ready for a few days, sail it around the bay once, and then disassemble it.. But I just don't see it happening.
As an aside, I believe Larry Ellison could run the country of Japan for a year and not notice it, even without branding it Oracle and changing the expense to marketing. The really wealthy are REALLY WEALTHY.