Where are all the fireballs?

Just throwing this out there - the Fireball Ontario Provincials will be held Sept 10, 11 in Ottawa as part of the Fanfare regatta.
If you've got a boat and are within a day's drive, please come out and meet a few fellow Fireball sailors. Its a low key event.

The following weekend, in Montreal, is the Screwball regatta.

Fireball social media in Canada/US is in a bit of a mess right now, but we're trying to get things sorted. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Phil

pudge

Lake Pymatuning in Ohio had Worlds a while back, really odd place for an active fleet but at one time they had some of the best boats for like 50 years.

Lake Pymatuning in Ohio had Worlds a while back, really odd place for an active fleet but at one time they had some of the best boats for like 50 years.

Pymatuning Sailing Club was the home club of a well regarded Fireball sailer, Sam Myers, who died far too young. His boat was assigned a new hull number after that, out of respect. Before my time in the fleet. PSC still holds the Sam Myers Memorial Regatta to this day https://www.pymatuningsailingclub.com/sam-myers-memorial-regatta/ I've made the road trip from Ottawa 3 or 4 times over the years. Great little club. AFAIK it has never held a Worlds there, closest likely would have been Wrightsville Beach in '92.

pudge

Pymatuning Sailing Club was the home club of a well regarded Fireball sailer, Sam Myers, who died far too young. His boat was assigned a new hull number after that, out of respect. Before my time in the fleet. PSC still holds the Sam Myers Memorial Regatta to this day https://www.pymatuningsailingclub.com/sam-myers-memorial-regatta/ I've made the road trip from Ottawa 3 or 4 times over the years. Great little club. AFAIK it has never held a Worlds there, closest likely would have been Wrightsville Beach in '92.

Oh, maybe North Americans? I grew up sailing out of Ashtabula on Lake Erie. Would make the trip there often.

pudge

Looks like Sunfish are the only active fleet there these days, a little saddening.

Admiral Hornblower

Super Anarchist
NE Ohio
I sailed out of PSC for 3 years, sadly the club racing is pretty much dead there, they don't really even have a sunfish fleet. It's sad because it the best body of water for sailing in Ohio, besides lake Erie. I was the only Fireball sailor there. Though the US Fireball scene is so inactive now that I decided to get rid of it.

I sailed out of PSC for 3 years, sadly the club racing is pretty much dead there, they don't really even have a sunfish fleet. It's sad because it the best body of water for sailing in Ohio, besides lake Erie. I was the only Fireball sailor there. Though the US Fireball scene is so inactive now that I decided to get rid of it.

What happened to the lightning fleet there? I remember parts of some awesome lighting regattas at PSC. If a member of the Spaceman Spiff crew hand offers you watermelon during the party, be ready to get very very drunk and not remember the rest of the evening.

We had a regatta at PSC where we sailed lightnings in 25+ kts. Ive never had a boat go that fast down wind, it was crazy how the boat took off like a skiff almost.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Thistles.I raced a big Thistle regatta fall of '92 there.
There was even a Wiley Wabbit keelboat there.
Sailing has nowhere to go but up. Time to build new fleets. Something tells me not thev old classes.

Latest posts