Where are they now? - Retired America's Cup Boat

planeruler

I sailed on NZL-82 in Cabo a few years ago but I'm not sure if it is still there. Good times!

I found Young Australia on the southern shore of Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta) last week. It was being used for a floating deck chair platform complete with palapa. Very sad. :(

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
I sailed on NZL-82 in Cabo a few years ago but I'm not sure if it is still there. Good times!

I found Young Australia on the southern shore of Banderas Bay (Puerto Vallarta) last week. It was being used for a floating deck chair platform complete with palapa. Very sad. :(
Got to helm NZL 82 through most of a little tacking duel in Cabo a few years ago too, against NZL 81. It was a nice enough operation, hope it's still going too.
Sad about YA, it had been in Cabo when I was there; and unfortunately I suspect the NZL boats headed that direction too. I suppose there is a shelf life, with keels that heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
As many around Chicago know, the Stars & Stripes catamaran from 1988 is sitting on the north side of Crowley's yard in pieces. It was covered with a two-sided enclosure, but it's easy to see/recognize from the open ends, presumably still in salvageable condition. Last campaigned by Steve Fossett?

QBF

Super Anarchist
As many around Chicago know, the Stars & Stripes catamaran from 1988 is sitting on the north side of Crowley's yard in pieces. It was covered with a two-sided enclosure, but it's easy to see/recognize from the open ends, presumably still in salvageable condition. Last campaigned by Steve Fossett?
According to the Morelli & Melvin website, the Stars & Stripes catamaran is for sale for $99,000.

http://www.morrellimelvin.com/brokerage/sail.html

~Stingray~~

Super Anarchist
That S&S cat raced the ChiMac a few years ago, right? Was in Florida before.

The wingsailed S&S that won the Cup sank in a wind storm about ten years ago while moored, wing up, on a mountain lake 60 miles SW of Mexico City. Somebody here posted pics of the boat back-when, they'd been on the lake for a big regatta.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
America II is here in Hawaii. Was on Maui in Lahaina giving tourists rides into the Molokai Channel. Some of the most fun I had on sailboat on those trips. It wasnt one of those sailboat rides where they barely set sail, and are lucky to heal 10 degrees. They loaded up the canvas, took her into the windiest channel, with the biggest swells, and it was a sleighride. I should note, one year they lost a mast while on one of these excursions and had to be rescued. No one was hurt luckily, but the owner put a new mast on her in a matter of weeks and they were off and running. The boat is now in Ala Wai Marina on Oahu. I believe its for sale.

3g2.jpg

3g4.jpg

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided

The wingsailed S&S that won the Cup sank in a wind storm about ten years ago while moored, wing up, on a mountain lake 60 miles SW of Mexico City. Somebody here posted pics of the boat back-when, they'd been on the lake for a big regatta.
Didn't know that, but wiki says you're right. Thanks!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_%26_Stripes_(yacht)

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist

Didn't know that, but wiki says you're right. Thanks!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_%26_Stripes_(yacht)
This boat was owned locally in the Tampa Bay area, and I raced against her a handful of times, once being the old Clearwater to Key West Race. (she had to have a shadow powerboat following along) The boat went up to the Mackinac race as a charter/purchase arrangement and dropped the rig. They bouyed it to come back and salvage but the CF was delaminated from the pressure. Last I heard in conversation was that she was repaired and some litigation was going-on over the deal.

My brother sailed on her early-on, and also got to step on-board DZ, so one of a small group that stepped aboard a pair of DoG multihulls, although not the S&S wing sailed cat from the match.

Crouton

Upstate
There's an 1987 era Stars & Stripes 12 Meter in use on Hilton Head Island. Boat apparently was one of as many as four built by that campaign that cycle and was only used as a trial horse against other S&S stablemates.

She looks about as well as can be expected and apparently gets a lot of use as a charter boat/evening sail deal for tourists. Little bit undignified but beats the alternative of having become a Schlitz can in about 1990.

Brutal

Anarchist
Ashburn, VA
There's an 1987 era Stars & Stripes 12 Meter in use on Hilton Head Island. Boat apparently was one of as many as four built by that campaign that cycle and was only used as a trial horse against other S&S stablemates.

She looks about as well as can be expected and apparently gets a lot of use as a charter boat/evening sail deal for tourists. Little bit undignified but beats the alternative of having become a Schlitz can in about 1990.
That's the 1st S&S built for the '87 campaign. The boat in HHI was never more than a trial horse. Colin Percy owns 5 12's. Three are in St. Maarten (Stars & Stripes (US-55, the actual AC winner), Canada II and True North IV) the other two are in Cozumel, I think (Stars & Stripes (US-56) and True North). He runs a 12-meter challenge thing for tourists.

http://www.12metre.com/

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist

That's the 1st S&S built for the '87 campaign. The boat in HHI was never more than a trial horse. Colin Percy owns 5 12's. Three are in St. Maarten (Stars & Stripes (US-55, the actual AC winner), Canada II and True North IV) the other two are in Cozumel, I think (Stars & Stripes (US-56) and True North). He runs a 12-meter challenge thing for tourists.

http://www.12metre.com/
S&S had '85, '86, & '87 built and modified the 1983 trial boat Spirit to test the wing keel set-up. I think '86 ended-up as 56, with '85 as 54, and Spirit was her original 40 something.

Bad Andy

Anarchist
Chicago
According to the Morelli & Melvin website, the Stars & Stripes catamaran is for sale for $99,000.

http://www.morrellimelvin.com/brokerage/sail.html
It was raced in the Bayview Mac a few years ago and dropped the mast close to the finish if I remember correctly. It was supposed to sail the Chicago Mac the following week but there was no way to fix it in time. Have not heard of it sailing since

Carbon

Super Anarchist
I would love to know what happened to the two Young America boats after Luna Rossa bought them. I know they used them as trial horses for the 2003 campaign but they then disappeared; I presume somewhere in Italy.

jhc

Super Anarchist
Unfortunately, this boat and that part of the yacht club embody the boom and bust of Spain in general and Valencia in particular. Stay tuned for another photo, maybe this summer or next winter, as ESP-67 (former USA-67) is docked a couple of meters away...
Fell off, or was stolen? That keel was/is the single most valuable piece of that boat! The lead alone worth over $30,000.00us.