Where do you put a liferaft on a J/99?

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
We've heard - put it under the tiller.  Okay, but then it sits on top of the emergency tiller access port.  That doesn't seem ideal.  Any better location?  

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
The way I see it is there’s 3 other options:

mounted longitudinally to the side of the tiller.

mounted on a cradle attached to the pushpit (ugly as sin and wrong on every level)

or if you wanted to completely over-engineer the situation you could move the backstay point to make a bridle and then fabricate, in either stainless or carbon, a raised bracket that mounts it over the back of the tiller

adrianl

I think the rules say it has to get to the rail in 15 secs so a scared man can throw the damn thing out the hatch!! A 6 man Winslow valise weighs 36 lbs

Under the tiller behind the traveller is where I had mine on the J100

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
even on my somewhat larger boat it's a pain. Ended up off center and aft as as otherwise, right on top of the rudder post/emergency tiller attachment point. 

But for your boat that's where Yachtingworld says it was designed to go in their review:

"The tiller is curved upwards to allow the mounting of a liferaft underneath – a common raft position for offshore boats and an eminently sensible one that keeps weight off the transom yet still provides a ready-to-launch raft on deck."

https://www.yachtingworld.com/boat-test/j-99-review-120522

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
I think the rules say it has to get to the rail in 15 secs so a scared man can throw the damn thing out the hatch!! A 6 man Winslow valise weighs 36 lbs

Under the tiller behind the traveller is where I had mine on the J100
Nope.  That is the rule for boats built before 2000.

Now it says it must be on deck or in a dedicated watertight locker.  Some races, like Pacific Cup, delete the built after 2000 rule, and allow smaller rafts stowed below, but that has to be an exception granted by the race organizer.  PNW Offshore and Van Isle 360 do not have that exception, for instance.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
On the coachroof like a cruiser? OK if shorthanded and you don't have crew crossing in tacks.

b3c5dee7-d46e-4c02-8e4d-d823bfc95c62-copy.jpg

SEC16518

Now it says it must be on deck or in a dedicated watertight locker.  Some races, like Pacific Cup, delete the built after 2000 rule, and allow smaller rafts stowed below, but that has to be an exception granted by the race organizer.  PNW Offshore and Van Isle 360 do not have that exception, for instance.
These offshore rules are ridiculous.....

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
under the tiller. install 4 padeyes on deck to lash it. (this was taken during dry fitting soft deck, so don't mind the gaps) IMG_3493.jpeg  

averagehack

NW

To clarify -- The SERs state that a boat built after June, 2001 need to have the life raft stowed in a deck mounted rigid container or purpose built compartment.  It gets confusing because the SERs use the DD/MM/YYYY calendar format and we are used to the MM/DD/YYYY format.

It gets really confusing if you look at the World Sailing OCR's where they write out "June 2001". And the USSailing SER version uses DD/MM/YYYY or "01/06/2001".  This leaves boats built in June of 2001 in a bit of a no mans land.

This is only an issue for boats built in the first half of 2001.  

averagehack

NW
To clarify -- The SERs state that a boat built after June, 2001 need to have the life raft stowed in a deck mounted rigid container or purpose built compartment.  It gets confusing because the SERs use the DD/MM/YYYY calendar format and we are used to the MM/DD/YYYY format.

It gets really confusing if you look at the World Sailing OCR's where they write out "June 2001". And the USSailing SER version uses DD/MM/YYYY or "01/06/2001".  This leaves boats built in June of 2001 in a bit of a no mans land.

This is only an issue for boats built in the first half of 2001.  
OK.  I'm confused as usual.  I got my before and after's a bit mixed.  The USSailing SERs say "after 01/06/2001"  meaning after June 1, 2001.  And World sailing says "before June 2001".  So the only confusing part would be if your boat was built ON June 1, 2001.  (The Hull number does not record the day so this is probably never an issue)

And of course it is confusing if you think in terms of MM/DD/YYYY. 

Last edited by a moderator: