where in the world

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
My googling tells me that if you list Europe's largest cities the only ones in the top 30 on the Mediterranean are Rome and Barcelona. Barcelona was founded by the Romans in the first century B.C.

Last edited:

shebeen

Super Anarchist
My googling tells me that if you list Europe's largest cities the only ones in the top 30 on the Mediterranean are Rome and Barcelona. Barcelona was founded by the Romans in the first century B.C.
yeah I guess my clue was not specific enough there.
I'm referring to the greater population of the city, not the specific municipal boundary.

as an example Paris (not the answer) is 2.1m only, but actually is about 8m plus.

to help you out, it is neither Rome nor Barcelona either.

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
not Portugal.

Although not really a football (soccer: the one where you actually use your feet) superpower, this nation did embarrassingly eat Portugal for breakfast.
My googling tells me that Portugal's biggest defeat in real football was by England in 1947. But England was not on the Mediterranean last time I was there.

More recently Serbia beat Portugal 2-1 last year in something of a surprise. https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...d-serbia-uefa-world-cup-qualifier/8619986002/
But is Serbia on the Mediterranean? My googling tells me that Serbia does not have a coastline on the Mediterranean but it is often included on lists of Mediterranean countries. Huh?

shebeen

Super Anarchist
My googling tells me that Portugal's biggest defeat in real football was by England in 1947. But England was not on the Mediterranean last time I was there.

More recently Serbia beat Portugal 2-1 last year in something of a surprise. https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...d-serbia-uefa-world-cup-qualifier/8619986002/
But is Serbia on the Mediterranean? My googling tells me that Serbia does not have a coastline on the Mediterranean but it is often included on lists of Mediterranean countries. Huh?
not serbia.

if you can work out the team in white you are basically 90% of the way to the answer

1663686442177.png

shebeen

Super Anarchist

shebeen

Super Anarchist
Yikes! I will have to take more pictures. There must be some dinghies somewhere in this shot: View attachment 542096
I will be having spotty internet access until Friday, so please be patient.
looks like Camden Harbour, viewed from Mt Battie.

sometimes google image search is too smart, and local knowledge or experience can be superceded by a click.

while I love exploring my own country, this thread has reminded me how wide, vast and varied the world is. Just from dinghy sailing spots here my bucketlist is ever expanding