where is webb chiles?

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad

One of the most intrepid, genuine and brilliant sailors ever is Webb Chiles. Long a hero of ours, we have heard that he stopped communicating while off Angola. We are hoping for the best, but would like to know if anyone has any update? Jump in here.

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
  • Admin
thank fuck. i was having trouble accessing his site. stoked and thank you!!

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
That man is a sailing machine. I gave very few "commands" to any of the staff at the club during my year as Commodore, but I DID say: "We are NOT charging that guy mooring. If the board objects, send me the bill."

Of course he was here and gone in about 2 weeks, max. You know, just stopping through on a quick jaunt from CA to NZ by way of Samoa...

He's sailed farther while taking a piss than most of us wankers will log in our lives - and who's fault is that ? Yep - that guy you see while you're shaving.

Son of a Sailor

Super Anarchist
Huntington, NY
Is anyone going to hear Webb speak at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum . . . i think it is this coming Saturday? I can't make it, but would be great to see a video of the speech if anyone is going to be there.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
So,  in the fall I like to go for a little motorcycle ride.  Since  know where all the roads go here on Oahu, that means casting the kickstand a bit further afield.  Couple years back I shipped a Yamaha up to San Diego and it's been wandering about the mainland ever since.

Last week (on Wednesday) I was visiting a pal that has moved to Annapolis and was headed back to the barn (in Eastern PA) when I figured I could fit a quick jaunt in to see the Chesapeake Maritime Museum in St. Michaels, MD.   After touring the (excellent) facility I was checking out the boats on the bulkehead,  when....

Wait a minute.  That's a Moore 24.  I'd recognize that anywhere.  A gray one... with roller furling...CAN'T BE.   

Yep.

Walked over and called out "Hey Webb",     "just a minute"  was the reply and out popped our old salty dog himself.    He gave me that "I know this guy from SOMEWHERE" look and I explained myself:  "Last time you saw me was at the Waikiki Yacht Club"  

He had come up for the Small Boat festival and had spoken to a gathering the night previous - he had just sailed up,  of course ("Had to wait a bit for that hurricane to clear out")  -  we caught up and went for lunch.  I can recommend the bacon and lump crab sandwich  at Crab-N-Que.  Webb had the pulled pork and we shot the breeze for a bit until I had to suit, boot and scoot on my land missile.

Damn good to see him again.  He says Hello to all you sailors and says he really likes the place they got down in South Carolina - I asked how the local sailing was there and he said "It's alright,  but I really don't day sail much."  - - which got me thinking a bit.  Compared to him,  all I've ever DONE is day sail,  really.

Anyway,  he was the same as ever.   We had exited the museum grounds and walked up to Talbot Street (the Main Drag in St. Mikes) and I wasn't sure if the recommended restaurant was left or right,  as I pulled up a map on my phone he ducked into a small shop and was back out before I had found what I wanted: "It's down this way,  boy,  she sure was cute..."   - spoken like a true sailor.  Never use a gizmo when you can chat up a real-live person.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
I was surprised to see the event was the same weekend as the Big Show in Nappy, but then realized just how different the target market really is.

Even with the wait, and one stop on the way up to avoid entering the mouth of the bay in the the dark, Webb was more dumbfounded that there wasn't a good laundry solution because it was a wet ride up - "You know sailors, we arrive and things are wet..."  

"How WAS it, Webb?"  

"Oh, outside... It was rough at times,  sure...but it was also a beautiful, wild sail..."    - and when that guy says it was bumpy....

It's always a delight to see a friend unexpectedly.   I was completely unaware of the event.  The weather up in the PA mountains chased me into MD.

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
 By a fluke,  @Illegal Smile and I had lunch with him today. Fascinating fellow,  I need to read more of his works. I did my best not to pester him with questions and just let him enjoy his beer. 

He's back in his slip at Hilton Head after a fairly quick return trip. It will be interesting

to read how that went when/if he posts his notes.

GannetTrack.jpeg