where we're at

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
We are and will continue to remain horrified at Rachel Holick's gut-wrenching story of sexual abuse at the hands of male collegiate sailors.

We have contacted the International Collegiate Sailing Association, US Sailing, the head sailing coach at Roger Williams University where she attends and sails, the head sailing coach at Navy, where this incident allegedly took place, and sponsors and supporters of the ICSA. Granted, some of these contacts are as recent as this morning, but as of yet, we have heard nothing from any of these authorities. There can be no doubt that all of them are fully aware of this unspeakable tragedy. And there can be no doubt that immediate action is required.

We will not sit idly by should these people and institutions fail to respond and act as they should. No, as they must. This isn't anything to be taken lightly, and yet we already smell the whiff of what is it - indifference, lack of empathy, hoping it will just go away?  We don't know and hope that our gut reaction is wrong.

In the meantime, if any anarchists have any information on this, please do not hesitate to send us an email. All sources will remain confidential.

Foolish

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
We are all horrified by this.  Given that this particular thread is titled, "where we're at", I wonder if the time has come to remove the more misogynistic threads on SA?  It's 2021; are threads like National Cleavage Week still appropriate when we see gang rapes occurring in our sport?

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
  • Admin
Yeah... and this is exactly why her coach, US sailing, etc... isn't going to give details to random sailing website owner. 
random? sailing anarchy is random? that's funny. if these people think they can just say and do nothing, then they are wrong. if they choose to ignore this, it will be at their own peril. we're going to pound this story until truths are revealed. 

oh and fuck you.

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
  • Admin
We are all horrified by this.  Given that this particular thread is titled, "where we're at", I wonder if the time has come to remove the more misogynistic threads on SA?  It's 2021; are threads like National Cleavage Week still appropriate when we see gang rapes occurring in our sport?
nope. free speech (for the most part) still reigns here, no matter how offensive (for the most part). you are allowed to speak your mind.

Foolish

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
i'm to blame? holy christ, are you kidding?
I guess you'd have to ask Rachel that.  Send her this message: "Hi Rachel. We run North America's premier sailing web site and forum.  Our site contains thousands of photos of nude or nearly nude women.  Do you think that this might have contributed to the environment where a group of young men violently raped you?"

Last edited by a moderator:

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
I guess you'd have to ask Rachel that.  Send her this message: "Hi Rachel. We run North America's premier sailing web site and forum.  Our site contains thousands of photos of nude or nearly nude women.  Do you think that this might have contributed to the environment where a group of young men violently raped you?"
Life is complicated. I always listened to what my girlfriends on when to make a move. I fail to see how appreciating beauty equals rape. But my own kids are turned off by that thread. Just to be clear. Whether that thread means one thing or another isvalso open to vigorous debate.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Looking at profile, way close to home. Driven by her school countless times in travels through NJ. I know a few people who went there. She is close in age to my own kids.

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Come on, conflating these behaviours is giving an excuse to blindingly bad activities by those who know better. If nudity or appreciation of the nude human form doesn't rock your boat, I support you completely in not looking at it and/or criticizing the practice. Suggesting that a bunch of old farts looking at women who willingly bare themselves is in any way complicit in the act of rape is just wrong. 

This is the fault of the criminals that thought their desires are paramount.

Banning the forum equivalent of shop calendars will not change this behaviour. Listen to Rachel, speaking out and telling both boys and girls that this is criminal and dealing with it through a fair criminal process is critical. That is what will change this, not banning threads.

Foolish

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
Banning the forum equivalent of shop calendars will not change this behaviour.
And the KKK marching down the street in white robes did not lead to lynchings.  And Hitler blaming Jews for losing WWI did not lead to the holocaust.   And objectifying women as sex objects does not lead to rape.   All perfectly logical.

Last edited by a moderator:

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
And the KKK marching down the street in white robes did not lead to lynchings.  And Hitler blaming Jews for losing WWI did not lead to the holocaust.   And objectifying women as sex objects does not lead to rape.   All perfectly logical.
So where do you draw the line?