where we're at

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Banning the forum equivalent of shop calendars will not change this behaviour.
And the KKK marching down the street in white robes did not lead to lynchings.  And Hitler blaming Jews for losing WWI did not lead to the holocaust.   
So enjoying looking at pretty/sexy women equates to or turns you into a brutal rapist?

What utter PC bullshit.

Similar attitude to blaming the victims because they dressed sexily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
I guess you'd have to ask Rachel that.  Send her this message: "Hi Rachel. We run North America's premier sailing web site and forum.  Our site contains thousands of photos of nude or nearly nude women.  Do you think that this might have contributed to the environment where a group of young men violently raped you?"
how fucking dare you. i wouldn't insult her with this utter bullshit of trying to blame anarchists for this horrific event. your agenda is obvious, but how about you dig a little deeper  - oh i don't know - say 200 years ago to find the roots for this behavior. then please build a case study and post it in the forum, so that we may all share in your enlightenment.

I guess you'd have to ask Rachel that.  Send her this message: "Hi Rachel. We run North America's premier sailing web site and forum.  Our site contains thousands of photos of nude or nearly nude women.  Do you think that this might have contributed to the environment where a group of young men violently raped you?"

Yeah, censorship will solve the problem. Because it's the fault of women for being so damn attractive that, when they're exposed to pictures of semi-clad women, those poor boys can't help themselves (sounds like what's taking place in Afghanistan right now--I know, take it to PA).

Methinks the perps, not Scot, are to blame and should pay the price.

dave-j

Perhaps we should get back to the subject at hand, this alleged awful crime.  On that subject, while I applaud SA for calling our attention, this is absolutely NOT the place for the investigation or judgment.  I absolutely have to believe the proper authorities (not any athletic organization) are on this and it won't be "swept under the rug".  If it can be proved to be as described, the perps will be away from our community for a long, long time.

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
Perhaps we should get back to the subject at hand, this alleged awful crime.  On that subject, while I applaud SA for calling our attention, this is absolutely NOT the place for the investigation or judgment.  I absolutely have to believe the proper authorities (not any athletic organization) are on this and it won't be "swept under the rug".  If it can be proved to be as described, the perps will be away from our community for a long, long time.
all i can tell you is that exactly nobody, other than a bullshit response from her sailing coach, has responded. we are attempting to obtain the police report, but that too has run into a brick wall. 

shame on every one of these institutions should they continue their silence. each and every one of them will be held up to the light by us should they not step up and do the right thing.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Clear Lake ring a bell? SA actually made a difference in a case that WAS almost entirely under the rug.

dave-j

Fair enough! 

Again, the impact on the Clear Lake case it was the initial reporting and followup, not the forum comments.  As said, I applaud your involvement!  The best that happens is that it somehow forces authorities to do their job.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Re women and their breasts: If looking at a photo of a woman and discovering they have breasts sends you out to violently assault them, then you really had issues anyway. There is no way titty photos on this website are responsible for violent rape.

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
The coach of each of the teams at the event should have held a meeting by now with the team members at the event, and asked if anyone has any information.

All the teams present should be barred from attending any more events until the perps have been identified.  That kind of pressure will out the guilty quickly.

Reference

all i can tell you is that exactly nobody, other than a bullshit response from her sailing coach, has responded. we are attempting to obtain the police report, but that too has run into a brick wall. 

shame on every one of these institutions should they continue their silence. each and every one of them will be held up to the light by us should they not step up and do the right thing.
Except that none of these entities have any sort of obligation to provide you with anything. Their obligation -- and the right thing - is to investigate, determine if there is probable cause, and bring an airtight case to prosecutors & courts. And that lawful objective is only hindered by the wanna-be vigilantes here.  

All the teams present should be barred from attending any more events until the perps have been identified. 
Case in point. The mob is very very stupid.  "If one person reports a crime, punish ALL of collegiate sailing." That will encourage reporting.  /s

Monkey

Super Anarchist
The coach of each of the teams at the event should have held a meeting by now with the team members at the event, and asked if anyone has any information.

All the teams present should be barred from attending any more events until the perps have been identified.  That kind of pressure will out the guilty quickly.
I disagree because most of the teams did nothing wrong and have no information to help. Or at least they didn’t know they had information. It wouldn’t be hard for many of the teams, coaches, host families, etc. to provide solid alibis for each other. For obvious reasons, you’d have to exclude alibis provided only by male teammates. It could greatly reduce the size of the search. 

eliboat

Super Anarchist
The police and other “proper authorities “ have been mishandling and ignoring sexual assault cases for as long as became a crime to perpetrate this acts.  Never assume that the police will demonstrate competence.  

Monkey

Super Anarchist

Seeing as you have an excellent soapbox to reach out to the sailing world, how about setting up a Gofundme to offer a reward for information that leads to the arrest of these shitbags?  If it accidentally raises too much money, the excess could go to one of the many programs set up to assist rape victims. 

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad

agreed

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
So you advocate instead, banning EVERY participant of that regatta from collegiate sailing? Because that feels emotionally satisfying to you right now? 
^^ 

Hot-headed mob justice is just about always as bad as the worst policing. It's fine to shine a public light on wrongdoing.  It's quite another thing to make the statement "we'll take care of this ourselves."  That's a damned loaded statement, and a short walk to some serious wrongdoing by an amped-up herd who might otherwise be sane people.