Which class "SHOULD" replace the "Mixed Double Handed Offshore Keelboat"?

darth reapius

Super Anarchist
Straya
Sorry guys if this is another thread very similar to one already in existance... but I feel like it's a different, more personal topic (what you want, not what IOC wants).

Now, in my opinion there is exactly one boat which should "replace" the mixed offshore double hander.

And it was literally nominated for the mixed double hander...

But this time in the base version from the factory.

With a 3 sail configuration only. Main, Jib, Assy.

Sailed in whatever configuration of mixed crew you want, as long as it has at least 2 women and is within a narrow weight range total. Say 375kg +/- 12.5 KG. You could have heavy crews and have 4 people on board, but 2 guys and 2 girls, or light and have 6 people on board and have 4-2 guys and 2-4 girls. Or average weighted and have 5 on-board with 3/2 guys and 2/3 girls.

The Sport/Keel-Boat. The Far-East 28R.

There is a tonne of them out there already, they are a great boat to sail, practical, well built, fantastically priced.

A mix of 10 different races, something like; windward-leeward course 5 NM - 2NM legs of 1-3 lappers, a triangle course, and a few mixed ~6 hour long near-shore passage races. Some days with say 2 short races, some with 1 long race, basically different courses every race.

Can anyone else picture 50 Far-east 28R's slogging it out in basically every type of short-course, long course, in-shore and near-shore sailing event, the likes pretty much everyone who is interesting in sailing sails in.

We still get a "keelboat" discipline in the Olympics, but the boats are <$50k USD not >$400k USD like some of the nominated boats. I mean fuck, that's a whole fleet of 8 boats for the cost of 1!

There would be no complaints for crew weights, you could have your 150kg dudes and 50kg girls all competing together on a level playing field. So there is no "oh this is un-fair because only heavy blokes or light girls are competitive".

Would it not be awesome if every club replaced their stupid dated fleets of 20+ year old designs like the Elliot 6's etc with Far East 28R's?

image.png

maxstaylock

Anarchist
Finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Sorry guys if this is another thread very similar to one already in existance... but I feel like it's a different, more personal topic (what you want, not what IOC wants).

Now, in my opinion there is exactly one boat which should "replace" the mixed offshore double hander.

And it was literally nominated for the mixed double hander...

But this time in the base version from the factory.

With a 3 sail configuration only. Main, Jib, Assy.

Sailed in whatever configuration of mixed crew you want, as long as it has at least 2 women and is within a narrow weight range total. Say 375kg +/- 12.5 KG. You could have heavy crews and have 4 people on board, but 2 guys and 2 girls, or light and have 6 people on board and have 4-2 guys and 2-4 girls. Or average weighted and have 5 on-board with 3/2 guys and 2/3 girls.

The Sport/Keel-Boat. The Far-East 28R.

There is a tonne of them out there already, they are a great boat to sail, practical, well built, fantastically priced.

A mix of 10 different races, something like; windward-leeward course 5 NM - 2NM legs of 1-3 lappers, a triangle course, and a few mixed ~6 hour long near-shore passage races. Some days with say 2 short races, some with 1 long race, basically different courses every race.

Can anyone else picture 50 Far-east 28R's slogging it out in basically every type of short-course, long course, in-shore and near-shore sailing event, the likes pretty much everyone who is interesting in sailing sails in.

We still get a "keelboat" discipline in the Olympics, but the boats are <$50k USD not >$400k USD like some of the nominated boats. I mean fuck, that's a whole fleet of 8 boats for the cost of 1!

There would be no complaints for crew weights, you could have your 150kg dudes and 50kg girls all competing together on a level playing field. So there is no "oh this is un-fair because only heavy blokes or light girls are competitive".

Would it not be awesome if every club replaced their stupid dated fleets of 20+ year old designs like the Elliot 6's etc with Far East 28R's?

View attachment 441538
I have one. They would make a great Olympic class, there are already hundreds of them produced and the price is low enough to make fleet purchases affordable. 

58F7042B-6462-4525-B13C-1736747A615C.jpeg

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Moore 24, built under license by Airbus in France.
Man thats retro on retro..approaching 50 yo. Light as light for its time and materials & top boat before the Euro builders got a head of steam in the late 70's following success of the Mini.

Webb Chiles took one around the orange.

Even the @Editorhas a hard on for them, this vid just last year.

pironiero

Finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn finn.
you arent very smart, are you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R Fareast28R 

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ

The speed offwind in a larger boat like the Fareast28R might intrigue an Olympic audience with the speed and crew work around a variety of courses. The rig is designed to be forgiving for a number of reasons stated on the Fareast website. It makes the boat reasonable to sail under a variety of conditions and has a  simple sailplan that is effective for the hull.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
The crew should have been further back in the videos and the boat wouldn’t have taken on the water it did. Forward is ok in light air to reduce the wetted surface.

TJSoCal

Super Anarchist
Olympics should be about accessibility (which means affordability) and competitor ability (which includes both athleticism & smarts), not about the pinnacle of technology (we've got AC for that). Viewer- and/or TV-friendly helps although I don't know that sailing is ever going to crack prime time. 

J70, Melges 24, FarEast maybe. Anyway, reasonably modern planing keelboat with asym kite. Crew of 4 with genders evenly split & a total crew weight limit (which probably means the girls drive & do bow, & if they did it right you could probably put at least one Finn guy in the middle).

Match racing on W/L courses - lots of close, exciting racing & umpire-friendly. 

If an Olympic host can't hire a few mobile cranes for a couple of weeks they don't belong in the Olympic business. 

Roller Skates

Super Anarchist
North
Aaaand nope.
Too many folks. Sailing is getting stuck because the disciplines don't share sailors. I say Fareast 28R IF you have to use all your other sailors that qualified to make the team. Now that'd be in line with other sports. And I'd pay to watch that. :D

darth reapius

Super Anarchist
Straya
Any boat that doesn’t allow pumping and medal races. 
I don't think I have seen a sentence which so accurately shares my point of view.

What about the Fareast23R or the 19R?

23 has 4 crew, the 19, 3 crew.

Same hull scaled down
Honestly, I think size matters with this one, I think it should be the biggest boat "practically" possible. The 23 is a sport-boat not a full keelboat, and the 19r is basically a dinghy with a weighted centreboard. Like your post below shows it, it's a big fucken boat, and it flies. But it's not so massive that the price tag exceeds $50k

14 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

INTERNATIONAL ETCHELLS CLASS ASSOCIATION is in shambles

Aaaand nope.
Too many folks. Sailing is getting stuck because the disciplines don't share sailors. I say Fareast 28R IF you have to use all your other sailors that qualified to make the team. Now that'd be in line with other sports. And I'd pay to watch that. :D
The problem is that some countries only have 1 or 2 sailors in the Oympics. Cyprus had a very talented Laser sailor and I think asking him to sail a FE 28 single handed is a tad unrealistic