Which class "SHOULD" replace the "Mixed Double Handed Offshore Keelboat"?

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Those countries need to get more people sailing at the Olympic level. To imply that the entire Olympic class has to deal with a small Olympic team like Cyprus, an island nation,  hurts the nations with many qualified sailors. 

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Hey, if you don’t have enough runners to hand off the baton in the distance runs, do you resort to individual sprint races? May as well race the mini 12’s, not that I have anything against them

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
But when do sailors practice for this 3x3 event? There aren't that many all class elite level events held every year, and really don't want sailors flying round the world for team practice.

And team racing isn't like swimming or track relays, where you basically do your own event with a changeover tacked on. There's a complete new body of knowledge to acquire on a rather esoteric part of the sport. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
The speed offwind in a larger boat like the Fareast28R might intrigue an Olympic audience with the speed and crew work around a variety of courses.
And 2 up when it gets fresh

pretty good viewing with if there is good AV happening

Sisu3360

Anarchist
I'd like to see a dedicated team racing event, honestly. With a good on-the-water graphics package it should be somewhat easy to follow, and broadcasters like tournament formats with definitive finals (which is why it was a boneheaded idea to dump match racing).

The drawback is that team racing isn't very well developed outside the US, UK, Aus, and NZ, which a shame because it's so dang fun to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
They don't have mixed teams in Football, or Hockey, or Basketball, or Volleyball or... pretty much anything. So why in sailing?
The following sports do have mixed team events:

Tennis, Badminton, Table tennis, Swimming (probably more)

And there is a long tradition of competitive mixed double handed dinghy sailing so it seems like a reasonable inclusion.

I'd like to see a dedicated team racing event, honestly. With a good on-the-water graphics package it should be somewhat easy to follow, and broadcasters like tournament formats with definitive finals (which is why it was a boneheaded idea to dump match racing).

The drawback is that team racing isn't very well developed outside the US, UK, Aus, and NZ, which a shame because it's so dang fun to do.
It was one of three proposals approved by events and equipment sub committee but it did not receive a proposer or seconder at the committee level so Team racing died in committee and did not go to council for a vote. 

Broseidon

I don't think I have seen a sentence which so accurately shares my point of view.

Honestly, I think size matters with this one, I think it should be the biggest boat "practically" possible. The 23 is a sport-boat not a full keelboat, and the 19r is basically a dinghy with a weighted centreboard. Like your post below shows it, it's a big fucken boat, and it flies. But it's not so massive that the price tag exceeds $50k

Like seriously, no one can tell me that 50 boats doing that on a decent passage race or solid W/L course wouldn't be fucking awesome.

INTERNATIONAL ETCHELLS CLASS ASSOCIATION is in shambles
Only if you live in Straya.....

darth reapius

Super Anarchist
Straya
Doesn't something have to actually exist in order to be replaced?   
Fuck, I could definitely go for a thread with 8 empty slots for "classes" to represent sailing or something. I think most of the classes currently in it suck.

I'd love to see something like:

-Foiling Windsurfer

-Laser (1 person classic dinghy separate mens and womens)

-Moth (1 person high performance dinghy mixed)

-F16 (2 person womens cat)

-F18 (2 person mens cat)

-Diam 24 (3 person mixed)

-FarEast 28r (4-6 person keelboat)

Last edited by a moderator: