Which Class will replace the offshore double hander in Olympics

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Get sailing out of the Olympics and sailing will improve.
I dont think that getting sailing out of the Olympics will help sailing.  I cannot think of ways that the Olympics hinders the rest of sailing.  On the margin, it does provide funding and a path for the truly talented sailors to dedicate some of their lives to sailing.  They then pass on some of the lessons they learnt during their campaigns to the rest of us.

Our sport is unique in having this nagging question about whether the Olympics is good or bad for the sport. You dont hear of skiers going around saying how bad the Olympics is for their sport.

Anyway....I think the Olympics would be poorer in the absence of sailing. It has been in the Olympics since the earliest days. It was one of the original sports scheduled for the first Olympics in 1896, but the regatta didnt take place due to launching issues but was included in the 1900 Olympics and ever since. Sailing in my mind is one of the great Olympic sports with some of the most famous sailors coming from the Olympics .

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Get sailing out of the olympics and nobody will notice.
Around here anyway, that is wrong. For example there is sailing infrastructure in GBR that exists because funding was available to sailing as an Olympic sport. Most sailors who are seriously committed to sailing as a sport will use that infrastructure at some point, not only Olympic wannabes.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Around here anyway, that is wrong. For example there is sailing infrastructure in GBR that exists because funding was available to sailing as an Olympic sport. Most sailors who are seriously committed to sailing as a sport will use that infrastructure at some point, not only Olympic wannabes.
Its just fun that the Olympics includes sailing.

In the US we are going through a decade long cycle of tearing our hair out because we are not very good at it.  We'll come back in the course of time. talent will get discovered. Its a shame kiteboarding took so long to get recognized, we would have landed a few medals there but ah well......in the meantime I am in awe of anyone who had the thrill of going to the Olympics in sailing.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Senator Seditious Maximus said:
Which class?  Who the fuck cares anymore.  This was final straw for me.  I could care less about the 5 Ring Circus and will avoid and moral or financial support of the event to the extent possible.  The one possible event that might remotely interested Joe Q. Public and they pull the plug without a fight.  I'm outta here.

Signed,

Snizzling little seditious bitches
The only fun thing in the olympics is the winter follies.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Finn

Just like the Star, the Olympics needs the Finn more than the Finn needs the Olympics. 
The Finn produced some of the most famous Olympians of all time ...Paul Elvstrom, Ben Ainslie, Russell Coutts.   There must have been something about the boat that attracted so much talent.

But It doesnt maintain gender equality so sadly, its not going to be the Finn.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
There is essentially ZERO money made available for sailing in the U.S. because of the Olympics. It is still a 100% amateur endeavor here, self-funded by sailors' trust funds.
There is some funding.  But yeah its very poorly funded.

Even so, I think it is worth it for those who do it and fun for the rest of us to sail with them when they retire from Olympic sailing.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
There is some funding.  But yeah its very poorly funded.

Even so, I think it is worth it for those who do it and fun for the rest of us to sail with them when they retire from Olympic sailing.
I see it rather the other way around. I've sailed stars boat for boat against Olympians. They were star champions who went to the Olympics--not olympians who came and sailed stars.

Alan Crawford

Super Anarchist
Bozeman, Montana
There is already gender equality with single handed dinghy - Laser Radial and then the Standard Laser. Am I mistaken?

What is missing in the Olympics is a boat that a heavier male can sail. The Star and Finn were two such boats but the Star is gone and the Finn will be gone. This is excluding a significant population of global sailors (males) who are too large to be competitive in a Laser / ILCA. 

10thTonner

Bungler
South of Spandau
The Finn produced some of the most famous Olympians of all time ...Paul Elvstrom, Ben Ainslie, Russell Coutts.   There must have been something about the boat that attracted so much talent.

How do you create gender equality in a sport that is dependent on body weight, height, and physical strength? Double-handed-mixed was proposed to be the solution but see how far it went in the "offshore" class. And even then: Who drives, who hikes? There is a reason why there are so little mixed teams of two in any sport except maybe tennis... 

If you want fairness, then men and women must have their own races, maybe even their own clases. Say, women=Laser, men=Finn, women=470, men=505 etc...  

TJSoCal

Super Anarchist
How do you create gender equality in a sport that is dependent on body weight, height, and physical strength? Double-handed-mixed was proposed to be the solution but see how far it went in the "offshore" class. And even then: Who drives, who hikes? There is a reason why there are so little mixed teams of two in any sport except maybe tennis... 

If you want fairness, then men and women must have their own races, maybe even their own clases. Say, women=Laser, men=Finn, women=470, men=505 etc...  
Four person keelboat, total crew weight limit that allows for a mix of heavy & light sailors, must include at least two genders (and both biological ones). I'm not sure the exact boat matters as long as it's available & affordable. 

Optimal crew might be girls on the ends (driver & bow) and bigger guys in the middle.

As for maintaining a crew of that size, rowing & bobsled among other sports seem to manage. 

Glenn McCarthy

Super Anarchist
Elmhurst, IL
There is essentially ZERO money made available for sailing in the U.S. because of the Olympics. It is still a 100% amateur endeavor here, self-funded by sailors' trust funds.
Actually the number of medals earned does put money in the bank for US Sailing Olympics.  It's been many years, last I saw it was around $4M.  The money is held in an USOC investment account (with other sports).  They money is commonly used to pay for the coaches for the US Sailing Olympic Team.

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
And there in lies the problem (in my opinion) with the Olympics.   Professionalism.  Why must it be a career to get into the Olympics and keep it going each cycle.  The AC is doing the same thing, trying to keep professionals employed between cycles.  It’s wrong.

Once the US allowed its professional athletes into the mix I stopped watching.  The IOC is just a commercial entity selling a product, the altruism is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

crashtack

And there in lies the problem (in my opinion) with the Olympics.   Professionalism.  Why must it be a career to get into the Olympics and keep it going each cycle.  The AC is doing the same thing, trying to keep professionals employed between cycles.  It’s wrong.

Once the US allowed its professional athletes into the mix I stopped watching.  The IOC is just a commercial entity selling a product, the altruism is gone.
How are sailors supposed to remain competitive for the 4 years necessary to run a campaign when government money isn't an option?