Who else is listening to arguments in Roe v. Wade case from Mississippi?

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
So far, the Justices, or most of them, seem to be more interested in how the question presented is different from Roe rather than how it's similar.  Chief Justice Roberts trying to explore some middle ground,  e.g. one that's absent a strict viability rule.  

Me, I tend to think Roe got the issue just about right, even if it may have been dismissive of the idea that states should handle issues like this.

The three liberals need to peel two justices away from the conservative side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
So far, the Justices, or most of them, seem to be more interested in how the question presented is different from Roe rather than how it's similar.  Chief Justice Roberts trying to explore some middle ground,  e.g. one that's absent a strict viability rule.  

Me, I tend to think Roe got the issue just about right, even if it may have been dismissive of the idea that states should handle issues like this.

Amy Conehead Barret is a lost cause, but Kavanaugh might think that if he maintains Roe they won't keep digging into his past and demanding another FBI investigation. As to the other possible, Gorsuch might surprise.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

It's too depressing. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
In my fantasy world, Roe is overturned, women across the US rise up and elect Democrats next fall, enough to impeach several of the justices. 

But, in reality, it will be overturned, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and nothing will change. Other than many more young women dying due to lack of healthcare choice. 

Mike G

Super Anarchist
Ventura County, CA
Sotomayor: "Will this institution survive the stench that this creates in the perception that the Constitution and its reading are just political acts?"

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
Louisiana is one of those states that passed "trigger bans", whereby their restrictive me-too laws will automatically take effect if the Mississippi law in question is affirmed.  Not too surprising, Southern La is Catholic, and Baptists in northern La are conservative.  Going to be a long drive or flight to obtain an abortion in the non Deep-South if the trigger gets pulled.

Wrap-up from NPR here, doesn't sound very strong for Roe.  And likely a long wait for the decision, "next summer".

Voyageur

Super Anarchist
On The Borderline
Build the Wall. The Mason Dixon line would be a good place to start. We could integrate the south again, if they beg for federal funds, again and again, and admit that they suck the Government tit.

Clove Hitch

Super Anarchist
around and about
Build the Wall. The Mason Dixon line would be a good place to start. We could integrate the south again, if they beg for federal funds, again and again, and admit that they suck the Government tit.
This. I've  always said Lincoln is the worst President for keeping us shackled to the South. Slavery would have imploded.  The South may have lost the war but they sure as shit won the peace.

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
FFiw3z0VQAMvAqk

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Nobdey licked Hillarey, espessialley herre hubbey...........                              :)

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
Just looking at a couple of news commentators, it looks gloomy for Roe supporters, but from some of the comments from Breyer and Alito, along with Roberts, maybe just maybe, could carve out some kind of middle ground.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
C’mon FedSoc, give those ivory league justices their marching orders and let’s abort this whole experiment of reproductive autonomy.   Some middle ground solution ain’t gonna get 5M new angry women voters to the polls in 2022 amd 2024 and daddy needs a dem supermajority if he gonna get an all new Judiciary Bill passed