Who is going to pooh pooh vaccinations now?

badlatitude

Super Anarchist

New York polio case is the 'tip of the iceberg,' hundreds of others could be infected​

Source: CNBC

Hundreds could have polio after an adult in the New York City metro area caught the virus and suffered paralysis last month, the state’s top health official said this week. New York state Health Commissioner Mary Bassett warned that the confirmed polio case in an unvaccinated adult, coupled with the detection of the virus in sewage outside the nation’s largest city, could indicate a bigger outbreak is underway.

“Based on earlier polio outbreaks, New Yorkers should know that for every one case of paralytic polio observed, there may be hundreds of other people infected,” Bassett said. “Coupled with the latest wastewater findings, the department is treating the single case of polio as just the tip of the iceberg of much greater potential spread.”

Bassett said it is crucial that children are vaccinated by the time they are 2 months old, and all adults — including pregnant women —who have not received their shots should do so immediately. “As we learn more, what we do know is clear: The danger of polio is present in New York today,” Bassett said.

New York state health officials confirmed last month that an unvaccinated adult in Rockland County had caught polio and was hospitalized with paralysis. Health officials subsequently found three positive polio samples in Rockland County wastewater and four positive samples in the sewage of adjacent Orange County. The sewage samples that tested positive for polio are genetically linked to the strain which the unvaccinated adult caught. The findings do not indicate that the individual who caught polio was the source of transmission, but local spread could be underway, health officials said.

Read more: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/05/new...erg-hundreds-of-others-could-be-infected.html

Twisted logic in the headline, the polio vaccine is effective
The Covid inoculation does not prevent the inoculated from getting Covid, they do say it mitigates the affects of the virus.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
The Covid inoculation does not prevent the inoculated from getting Covid, they do say it mitigates the affects of the virus.

Adults

Most adults do not need polio vaccine because they were already vaccinated as children. But three groups of adults are at higher risk and should consider polio vaccination in the following situations:

• You are traveling to a country where the risk of getting polio is greater. Ask your healthcare provider for specific information on whether you need to be vaccinated.
  • You are working in a laboratory and handling specimens that might contain polioviruses.
  • You are a healthcare worker treating patients who could have polio or have close contact with a person who could be infected with poliovirus.

Adults in these three groups who have never been vaccinated against polio should get 3 doses of IPV:

• The first dose at any time,
  • The second dose 1 to 2 months later,
  • The third dose 6 to 12 months after the second.

Adults in these three groups who have had 1 or 2 doses of polio vaccine in the past should get the remaining 1 or 2 doses. It doesn’t matter how long it has been since the earlier dose(s).

Adults who are at increased risk of exposure to poliovirus and who have previously completed a routine series of polio vaccine (IPV or OPV) can receive one lifetime booster dose of IPV.
Here is their page on vaccination decisions (where they said that people could get a booster if they wanted and had some series of doses of either the current or older vaccine)

- https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/public/index.html

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
This went on during my childhood - one of my best friends then was left seriously wasted for life by it.

1659746627431.png

I'm sure we will hear choruses of "Freedumb" about polio vaccinations.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC

Ah yes, another confused RWNJ who has zero clue how "vaccination" works.

Tell me, do you believe that polio vaccines somehow form a magic shield around the body, which polio germs cannot get thru?

Tell me, do you believe that polio vaccines somehow form a magic shield around the body, which polio germs cannot get thru?
Feel free to use the quote feature if you are going to associate what I said with your dandelion seed in the wind reply

phillysailor

Super Anarchist

Actually, the description given by vvv is fairly accurate... the only polio vaccine used in the US since 2000 is 90% effective with a single dose, so most inoculation regimens consist of 3 or 4 shots which brings efficacy up to 99-100%. Safety is excellent, with only allergic reactions to worry about. It's inactivated, so no polio can or polio syndromes can result.

It's interesting to note that a polio-like syndrome still afflicts some of the polio vaccines produced, and although 5,000 of every million actually infected with live virus is hugely greater than 3 per million so afflicted by post-vaccine polio-like syndromes, paralysis still sucks.

There are many different vaccines administered for polio eradication, and the easiest to store, transport and administer are oral doses. But you've got to look at each one to decide what the actual efficacy is, and for how long it will last.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Actually, the description given by vvv is fairly accurate... the only polio vaccine used in the US since 2000 is 90% effective with a single dose, so most inoculation regimens consist of 3 or 4 shots which brings efficacy up to 99-100%. Safety is excellent, with only allergic reactions to worry about. It's inactivated, so no polio can or polio syndromes can result.

It's interesting to note that a polio-like syndrome still afflicts some of the polio vaccines produced, and although 5,000 of every million actually infected with live virus is hugely greater than 3 per million so afflicted by post-vaccine polio-like syndromes, paralysis still sucks.

There are many different vaccines administered for polio eradication, and the easiest to store, transport and administer are oral doses. But you've got to look at each one to decide what the actual efficacy is, and for how long it will last.
What I was getting at was the mechanism of how each works; and hoping to go a step further as to -why- polio is so much less of a threat now than covid.

The RWNJ brigade seems to believe that the polio vaccine somehow "keeps you from getting polio" which is false. The polio virus still gets inside you and tries to hijacking your cells. You can still be infected with the virus. The difference in effectiveness is the ability of the body's immune system to respond, and the infected person's likelihood of transmitting that virus to somebody else.

It's all a numbers game. With polio, it's very very low. With covid, it's very much less than an unvaccinated person but still enough that it might be transmitted, or have illness from covid or from the immune response. The polio vaccine is better, but it's misleading to say that one is "effective" and the other is not.

People who don't understand science think it's magic. They're vulnerable to RWNJ bullshit.

Last edited:

gptyk

Anarchist
California
People that don't understand science are more likely to be bullshiting
RWNJs.

Gosh, imagine if a virus occurred with a 50% fatality rate, but with a very effective, cheap, easily available vaccine. The average intelligence of the planet would skyrocket (upwards)....

giegs

Arid
Feel free to use the quote feature if you are going to associate what I said with your dandelion seed in the wind reply
You're an evasive cunt.

I'd love for you to prove to me that you're not a few lines of code hinging on some linguistic structures pulling from tables of EFNET chatlogs. Feel free to engage with whatever feels comfortable. I want this to be a supportive environment. This one time I broke a mule's foot when it tried to kick my head, so I know what it's like.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
I suggest we promote the idea that the polio vaccine causes erectile dysfunction. Then publish science that says it doesn't. Should rid us of a few RWNJ's.