Who kept their old film roll camera?

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Looks like it may be coming back so hopefully the price of processing may come down too.

There was always a pleasure taking your pictures carefully, changing lens, slipping in special effects slides, taking the roll to the chemist for processing and picking them up.
Digital camera's and phone cameras are great, but there's too many photo's to look at and few seem "special"

Anyone else a fan? I'm glad I didn't throw mine away.

Coastal_Fox

New England
I still shoot with a Minolta SRT200 when the mood strikes.
The mood has not stricken in a long long time though.
Funny... i started looking for a new camera today and suddenly everyone is talking about them haha.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
yeah, taking photo's of stuff outside with nothing but bright moonlight and slow shutter speed and some unusual effects. It was an art form that any beginner could take pleasure in with interesting results :D
And good quality slide film. The depth and colour!

Reactions: Que

Tacoma Mud Flats

Have star, will steer by
I own many film cameras, but do most of my shootin' with a 60's Olympus Pen half frame. The original point and shoot.

1670650590592.png

Just enough camera to do interesting thing with.

I have several, the one pictured is just the one I keep on the boat.

Funny story - my favorite, the one I take with me everywhere I bought on eBay for $25 or so and wasn't paying attention and didn't notice it was coming from Korea.

It came beautifully wrapped in rice paper for shipping and came with a nice note thanking me for buying it and wishing it a good life in America. When I unwrapped it I was amazed because it was gold, with brown leather (not classic satin silver and grey leatherette, popular with early 60's Japanese cameras). Then I got a whiff, and realized it was absolutely covered in Nicotine - the thing must have been owned by a human smoking machine. I scrubbed and scrubbed and got it back to silver-ish and grey brown. It's not a perfect specimen, the corners are all dented, but it is the perfect travel camera. Still smells like nicotine to this day.

Half frames are great because you get 72 frames per roll. I shoot only black and white, develop to film negs only and digitally print from the negative.

I use Astra EDU ASA 400 from Adorama ($5.75, was $3.75 pre-Covid).

If I develop myself and depletion develop, I can get it down to about 10 cents a frame, 72 frames per roll.

Coastal_Fox

New England
I did decide I want a polariod actually, so technically film, but not on a roll. Still count? I saw it at the store today, and i saw the price, and I think that it would be a pretty handy thing to have around.
A lot more people are camera shy today because with social media, they are worried to be themselves I think, because everyone in the world might see the picture haha. So, to have something with me that only produces one photo once that i can just give them i think would be great for candids and stuff with people, for personal memories.

Last edited:

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I did decide I want a polariod actually, so technically film, but not on a roll. Still count? I saw it at the store today, and i saw the price, and I think that it would be a pretty handy thing to have around.
A lot more people are camera shy today because with social media, they are worried to be themselves I think, because everyone in the world might see the picture haha. So, to have something with me that only produces one photo once that i can just give them i think would be great for candids and stuff with people, for personal memories.
I had one of those when I was a kid.
The pictures faded fast, even kept in an album in the dark. 5 years? Maybe they are betterer now?

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
With any obsolete technology there's always a segment of the population can't let go and kids themselves that obsolete gear is "better" in some way.

Vinyl record people with their "warmer sound" bullshit are one group of them.

There's a segment of hot rodding that still builds flathead Ford V8 engines even though any decent contemporary 4 cyl will produce twice the HP that can ever be extracted from a flattie.

Carvel wood boats are another.

When digital photography appeared I knew it was only a matter of time before it happened to film cameras.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Here's my collection. Not very flash and i wouldn't remember how to use them now.
I had a telescopic lens too but that seems to have disappeared.
20221210_173526.jpg

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
With any obsolete technology there's always a segment of the population can't let go and kids themselves that obsolete gear is "better" in some way.

There's a segment of hot rodding that still builds flathead Ford V8 engines even though any decent contemporary 4 cyl will produce twice the HP that can ever be extracted from a flattie.

When digital photography appeared I knew it was only a matter of time before it happened to film cameras.
I'm not saying they are better, I wouldn't know. Just more fun and the pics more memorable.
And when one has to take time to frame and position a shot, you'll get 30 good ones out of 36, not 36 out of 200 . and they impose a little restraint . Does anyone look at the 200 pictures one took of breakfast?

Coastal_Fox

New England

I was talking to a kid at work who is going to school for photo journalism, and he gave a theory that made sense to me. Because of the pandemic, people had money and time but no where to go, so, dark rooms and film became a lockdown appropriate hobby. That is what he reckons brought about the recent film craze.

Coastal_Fox

New England
I had one of those when I was a kid.
The pictures faded fast, even kept in an album in the dark. 5 years? Maybe they are betterer now?
Haha, probably not. But, for what i want it for, thats honestly fine.
It not going to be a part of my main kit, but it dose fill a niche i have, and at a very good price. Its a keepsake generator is all, the pics arnt going on my resume or anything haha.
Plus it'll make for a cheap Christmas gift when someone asks haha.
What i am looking for is a pocket point and shoot. That market seems slim because of smart phones, and phones are great tbh, i mean i havent had a point and shoot since like 2004, but i want something with an actual optical zoom. But lugging around a DSLR is not practical, and my phone isnt doing what i want it too, so yeah haha. I set some money aside and i can get that coveted in between camera haha. Panasonic seems like the reasonable choice. Half sonys price, and from what im hearing, 80% as good.
I looked at Nikon, ive always shot nikon, and i wasnt very impressed. But ill give them a 2nd look before i pull the trigger. Its not a big deal if i stray from them though because its not like they'll take my nikkor lenes, so maybe i just want the opprotunity to cheat on them a little with Panasonic >.>

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
I'm not saying they are better, I wouldn't know. Just more fun and the pics more memorable.
And when one has to take time to frame and position a shot, you'll get 30 good ones out of 36, not 36 out of 200 . and they impose a little restraint . Does anyone look at the 200 pictures one took of breakfast?
You can get a good DSLR and taking photos the same way you did with your old film camera without the expense of film and processing. There is nothing stopping you except that thing between your ears.

If you want to live in the past and reminisce about the good old days that's fine. It's a good a reason as any not to pick up that DSLR and take beautiful photos.

And we're were on the subject, when it comes to photography, you can own the best equipment available today and still take shitty photos. Somebody with a good eye and a decent phone could do better. 95% of a great photo is knowing what to point the camera at, not how much money you spent on the camera. Most people have it backward. They start out with an expensive rig and geek out on all of the settings. And take shitty photos. They should start with moderately price camera with a couple of lenses, and learn how to see things correctly, how to frame the subject and what kind of light looks good. All the fancy gear in the world won't make good photos if you don't learn the basics.

And stay the hell away form Photoshop!

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
You can get a good DSLR and taking photos the same way you did with your old film camera without the expense of film and processing. There is nothing stopping you except that thing between your ears.

If you want to live in the past and reminisce about the good old days that's fine. It's a good a reason as any not to pick up that DSLR and take beautiful photos.

And we're were on the subject, when it comes to photography, you can own the best equipment available today and still take shitty photos. Somebody with a good eye and a decent phone could do better. 95% of a great photo is knowing what to point the camera at, not how much money you spent on the camera. Most people have it backward. They start out with an expensive rig and geek out on all of the settings. And take shitty photos. They should start with moderately price camera with a couple of lenses, and learn how to see things correctly, how to frame the subject and what kind of light looks good. All the fancy gear in the world won't make good photos if you don't learn the basics.

And stay the hell away form Photoshop!

Horses for courses.
I haven't used my old camera's for years, but sometimes there's a simple pleasure in using hand tools too.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Haha, probably not. But, for what i want it for, thats honestly fine.
It not going to be a part of my main kit, but it dose fill a niche i have, and at a very good price. Its a keepsake generator is all, the pics arnt going on my resume or anything haha.
Plus it'll make for a cheap Christmas gift when someone asks haha.
What i am looking for is a pocket point and shoot. That market seems slim because of smart phones, and phones are great tbh, i mean i havent had a point and shoot since like 2004, but i want something with an actual optical zoom. But lugging around a DSLR is not practical, and my phone isnt doing what i want it too, so yeah haha. I set some money aside and i can get that coveted in between camera haha. Panasonic seems like the reasonable choice. Half sonys price, and from what im hearing, 80% as good.
I looked at Nikon, ive always shot nikon, and i wasnt very impressed. But ill give them a 2nd look before i pull the trigger. Its not a big deal if i stray from them though because its not like they'll take my nikkor lenes, so maybe i just want the opprotunity to cheat on them a little with Panasonic >.>
Get one second hand.
I'm going to take one on holiday next year if I can find some black and white film.
An old box brownie if I can find my mums. What I lack in skill I can make up with nostalgia :D

Latest posts