Who know more about the Aeolos P30?

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
What is the propulsion unit used on this boat?

AP30.jpeg

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
I wrote unique because the bubble design is by Max Gurgel (V-Max) and tested with CFD by Hannes Rentsch Fluid Engineering. There are a lot of possibilities to arrange bubbles/whale design but most of them will not help if not designed in the proper way. This is an unique design for the Aeolos P30.
I thought one of the major benefits of the tubercles was to stop ventilation down the rudder, how does having them on the top of a twin rudder setup improve performance?

Rorke

What is the propulsion unit used on this boat?
ePropulsion POD Drive 3.0
6 horsepower
6kg weight
The owner, Jan Hansen, made custom batteries. Not sure about their capabilities or weight. I will find out next week.

Also, Jan is racing this weekend May 13th. It is the first real race and Jan is prepared to dominate! (🤞😀).…functional autohelm, rigged for reefing, some practice under his belt, and other factors.

Rorke

Thankfully for you a sucker is born every minute.
Hey man. Nobody is trying to sucker anybody.
I wrote a couple of basic points on this thread that I stand by,
1 - please check out the site and let’s discuss points openly.
2 - Hans does well with constructive criticism.

Last, there are 260 people born every minute. How many of them are suckers is difficult to determine. And I have to focus on other stuff anyway.

solosailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
6kg weight
Like someone quoting the weight of the tires for a whole race car. First, you quoted the weight of the 1.0 version not the 3.0 version drive which with the plastic non folding prop is 15kg, not 6kg. Almost doubles again going from a plastic prop to metal folding. Then they quote 1.3 hours runtime with a 4kWh pack @ 48kg. Then add xx? for the cables, controller, required hull section reinforcements.

So to meet the 4-8 hour offshore motoring rule, plus more capacity to motor to the start with said hours of capacity remaining would bring the propulsion solution to 150-200kg. Want to charge somewhere else than your home slip/storage? Then add a chunk more weight for an onboard charger.

I've built and/or sourced hundreds of LFP and NMC packs and unless your day sailing it's very difficult to justify an electric propulsion solution.

I have a 31' offshore sportboat that only uses a 3.5HP to motor 5.5-6k. With the bracket, tank, 5 hours of fuel my total is 39kg. I tried and tried and tried.... as in actual testing to make an electric solution justifiable. I just hate the smell of gas onboard.

Rorke

Like someone quoting the weight of the tires for a whole race car. First, you quoted the weight of the 1.0 version not the 3.0 version drive which with the plastic non folding prop is 15kg, not 6kg. Almost doubles again going from a plastic prop to metal folding. Then they quote 1.3 hours runtime with a 4kWh pack @ 48kg. Then add xx? for the cables, controller, required hull section reinforcements.

So to meet the 4-8 hour offshore motoring rule, plus more capacity to motor to the start with said hours of capacity remaining would bring the propulsion solution to 150-200kg. Want to charge somewhere else than your home slip/storage? Then add a chunk more weight for an onboard charger.

I've built and/or sourced hundreds of LFP and NMC packs and unless your day sailing it's very difficult to justify an electric propulsion solution.

I have a 31' offshore sportboat that only uses a 3.5HP to motor 5.5-6k. With the bracket, tank, 5 hours of fuel my total is 39kg. I tried and tried and tried.... as in actual testing to make an electric solution justifiable. I just hate the smell of gas onboard.

I don’t understand the tire comparison. Is the guy at the tire shop expected to add up the total unsprung weight and calculate the rolling resistance?

Thank you for the correction on the weight. I haven’t double checked your numbers, but I see no reason to doubt them. I will certainly ask Jan for an estimate on his entire propulsion system including any charger.

There is an AP30 that is being outfitted with a little diesel. This will exceed the requirements for that practical owner. I don’t know more than it is a Nanni. The guy said 8hp, but I can only find 10 hp on website.

Last, some people love the smell of gas. When my friend was in first grade, we had to write down our favorite smells. He listed gas, glue, and markers. Haha. Little huffer. He turned out ok. Good sailor.

Gially99

The Aeolos P30 is a type of wind turbine that is commonly used for generating electricity from wind power. It is a horizontal-axis wind turbine with a rated power output of 30 kilowatts (kW) and a rotor diameter of 12 meters. The Aeolos P30 is designed for use in small wind energy systems, such as in residential, agricultural, or small commercial settings.

Hans Genthe

Dubai
The Aeolos P30 is a type of wind turbine that is commonly used for generating electricity from wind power. It is a horizontal-axis wind turbine with a rated power output of 30 kilowatts (kW) and a rotor diameter of 12 meters. The Aeolos P30 is designed for use in small wind energy systems, such as in residential, agricultural, or small commercial settings.
That´s true :cool:

Hans Genthe

Dubai

It is a 12 kg drive in Jans boat. Then appr. 8kg of controller and cables. Don´t know the metal prop weight. Would think its 3-4kg. But Jan uses 4 x LiFePo batteries 12,8V in line to power the motor and his NKE system. 100 Ah and 12kg, if I remember right. So he can run all his systems and the motor for harbour manoevers.
For offshore sailing if you want to fit the OSR rules I recommend to use a second hand 2-stroke 5hp Outboard Mariner or Yamaha in the plug in the boat. The motor is only 27kg and the range is limited to the fuel you carry. I have this solution on our BB10m for 25 years and it works super reliable. Built a dyneema rope controlled remote speed and gear adjuster ... fun :)
150_5063.jpg
150_5060.jpg
hg_stm14_IMG_8382.jpg

Last edited:

solosailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
Not everywhere has the same rules, Mini's for example go across the Atlantic without any motor at all...
About the only exception these days. The Singlehanded Transpac didn't require a motor until 02-04 or such, I didn't carry one in 2000. I don't know of an ocean race that doesn't have 4-8 motoring requirement, some much more.

Rorke

Congratulations to Jan Hansen and the Beast.

Hans posted a write up here - First Ship Home: Jan Hansen Wins the Brassfahrt 2023

In summary, Jan was the only singlehander against 71 doublehanders. He won.

While winning the race was nice, proving the AP30 design was an even greater victory for these two friends.
Jan put a ton of faith Hans. The two of them have worked very hard for this very special moment.

Congratulations to both you guys. We look forward to the rest of the season.

If anyone is interested in checking out the AP30 for their next boat, Jan is conducting test sails and is a sales agent in Europe, so you would have to fly out to see him. Maybe it is worth it.

IMG_1257.jpeg

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
I still think it’s a box of gimmicks drawn upon the back of an envelope 😂

but seriously , well done . It’s always great to see left field boats from small yards doing well .

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Hans posted a write up here - First Ship Home: Jan Hansen Wins the Brassfahrt 2023
In summary, Jan was the only singlehander against 71 doublehanders. He won.

Maybe I'm reading the tables wrongly, but quite a few boats appear to have shorter elapsed times (<23 hours), including a Dehler 38, Akilaria 950 and most of the >40ft cruising boats?

Usually you add the difference between class guns when awarding Line Honours ;-)

SA Podcast

Sailing Anarchy Podcast with Scot Tempesta

Sponsored By: