Who know more about the Aeolos P30?

Hans Genthe

Dubai
So you're accusing people here who are interested in a new design of being shills? You're either paranoid or don't know the meaning of shill. Why don't you pop on over to the Beneteau First 36 thread and start calling people dude and shill. 
I don´t understand all this comments. I´ve paid already for content at Sailing Anarchy, it became published and was marked as my content, so pure and honest advertising. I understand, my comments as designer and builder in this forum are not welcome. You are free to contact me directly. I don´t hide hinter any pseudonym, Hans Genthe is my real name.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
not welcome? I think the problem is Anarchy is chaotic. by design perhaps. as a sailor, I think commentary from the designer, builder, and sailor can be pretty much as good as it gets. but you've got to have a thick skin. Look how Kristian won over the crowd on the First 36 thread. Can't wait until he sails that thing and reports back.

same here.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
So you're accusing people here who are interested in a new design of being shills? You're either paranoid or don't know the meaning of shill. Why don't you pop on over to the Beneteau First 36 thread and start calling people dude and shill. 
Why doesn’t someone with three (3) posts total tell me how things go here. 2 in the same thread… 

Everyone has an interest. Hans now is understanding how the new game of promotion is. Nothing is free on the internet. 

For the record - I got no problems with Hans desire for success. I am interested on how this 30 goes. I do have greater concerns personally when promoters write their own news and so many others take it as factual slices of news bread. Get pissy when they are asked to pay a advertising toll. Nearly all of us know currently there are few independent sailing journalists and even fewer magazines willing to write truly editorial pieces with the fortitude to criticize what are a boats failings are. I was one of the first in following the boat on Facebook and twitter in conjunction with the contemporary rise of this thread. These are not new sources and are not prone to truth telling. They are selfie sounding boards that others find easy to vibrate into new news since new is exciting. Having worked for Facebook, Twitter and other social media models - That’s how it suppose to work. They are also seemingly free for producer and subscriber. I admire Hans for a few things, he is doing what he wants, building a boat of his own design and fearless enough to measure it soon against others.  I wish him luck in his development and speed in his boat. I am also glad he finds SA a worthy place to pay for advertising going forward since this stir up. We should all be grateful the independence of SA which rests in the content of the various anarchistic producers and not in the ownership of advertisers and portal management. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Odd Sock

elsewhere
Why doesn’t someone with three (3) posts total tell me how things go here. 2 in the same thread… 

Everyone has an interest. Hans now is understanding how the new game of promotion is. Nothing is free on the internet. 

For the record - I got no problems with Hans desire for success. I am interested on how this 30 goes. I do have greater concerns personally when promoters write their own news and so many others take it as factual slices of news bread. Get pissy when they are asked to pay a advertising toll. Nearly all of us know currently there are few independent sailing journalists and even fewer magazines willing to write truly editorial pieces with the fortitude to criticize what are a boats failings are. I was one of the first in following the boat on Facebook and twitter in conjunction with the contemporary rise of this thread. These are not new sources and are not prone to truth telling. They are selfie sounding boards that others find easy to vibrate into new news since new is exciting. Having worked for Facebook, Twitter and other social media models - That’s how it suppose to work. They are also seemingly free for producer and subscriber. I admire Hans for a few things, he is doing what he wants, building a boat of his own design and fearless enough to measure it soon against others.  I wish him luck in his development and speed in his boat. I am also glad he finds SA a worthy place to pay for advertising going forward since this stir up. We should all be grateful the independence of SA which rests in the content of the various anarchistic producers and not in the ownership of advertisers and portal management. 
Someone with northward of 1800 posts should recognise a sock... I have a few more than 3 posts worth of experience, but I don't claim to dictate "how things go here".

After reading your first sentence I was ready to formulate a blunt response... however the rest of your post was surprisingly coherent and courteous. I'm not, and I strongly doubt anyone here, is a shill for Hans, and he didn't start this thread, and I'd guess that most here know roughly how internet revenue works, even in this anarchic corner - "if you're not paying for the product, you are the product". 

From everything I've seen, and any contact I've had with Hans, he is a talented sailor and enthusiastic designer. My guess is that English is at best a second language for him, so some  points may be lost in translation, but I doubt he is deliberately or otherwise depriving our precious SA of funds.

I agree with you that the independence of SA is priceless,  and appreciate your advocacy. Your support for Hans was well disguised, and I guess time will tell if his enthusiasm translates into results. In any case, more diversity in this niche must be a good thing, and I look forward to seeing how she goes against established designs.

Toodle-oo.

Hans Genthe

Dubai
Here are data based on the recommended ORC setup.
I am the creative part (designer), but the boat is done by a team, Hannes Rentsch (one of the best CFD guys), Max Gurgel (perhaps the best ORC rating optimizer in NE) and SOLICO (stuctural engineering). The lines plan is not radical, more conservative. The boat is very light (1,6t) due to the Carbon Prepreg and and the engineering. Everthing is produced to worldwide standards and with ISO-certified Quality Management. Unusal is the design above the waterline, radical aerodynamic optimized (which don´t affect the rating) and a lot pf handling optimization.

AP30_POLARS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
@Hans Genthe now we are back on track and talking about the P30, can you comment on what STIX, RCD/ISO category etc you expect the boat to get and whether it’ll be eligible for races like the Fastnet? I remember reading somewhere that 3 tonne displacement was a magic threshold for all this stuff, so interested to hear what’s possible at 1.6 tonnes. 

User1265

Looks like a promising polar. 

Is the left half of the polar AWS/AWA?
Why cut the values TWA>150°? In some windspeed ranges, the max VMG is on a deeper angle according to the polar. 

A

Amati

No. Check the website. Boat is finished, but I am sitting on my bed, recovered from Covid 19, waiting for quarantine end. Used the time to read all the comments in the world and found this stream yesterday. Sounds a bit strange to me...
Hope you recover well.  One question I have from the Seahorse article is the cockpit- 20-30 degree heeling can be difficult in waves, but the cockpit floor looks pretty flat. The cockpit is also looks wide, so if you slip, there’s a ways to go before you stop. Kind of a climb to the high side too.  In addition, the foot rails look hard to walk on @ 30 degrees, plus what happens if a foot/toe slips under the bar?  

Last edited:

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
That's the worst sail pic (of brand new sails) I've ever seen. Definitely NOT taken by anyone who knows sails (or the sailmaker). Jib tack way up, no backstay tension/mast bend. Shape of the main on the upper half is tragic. Outhaul looks snug, so it seems that there is too much luff curve.

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
is that the camera or is there substantial draft in both sails?
Looks like the rig setup is not completed yet. Forestay is slack but it looks like at least the d2 is wound on but the d3 isn't. The mast base and collar probably aren't sorted yet since they had just launched it and probably had some figuring out to do with the rake angle.

Normally you wouldn't hoist the sails so early on in this stage until you are at a decent dock tune. These guys were probably itching to get going and I can sympathize with that. I wouldn't judge much here since its literally day 1 for a totally new boat. 

It might be that there is still to much luff curve(or the topmast is to stiff) up high but its hard to call out a bad sail design before the rig is setup correctly. 

I'm totally speculating now but Pauger seems to like stiffer sections from what I have seen around here and maybe using higher mod laminates as well.  Its possible the sail designer was expecting a more dynamic panel above the hounds like you would get with a standard mod or even an alloy tube. Would be great to the get some drone footage of sailing at all different angles.