Who know more about the Aeolos P30?

Jethrow

Super Anarchist
I would be interested to hear other's thoughts on this but to my eye up on the foredeck those lifelines do not meet the minimum height above the working deck or the rule about stanchions not being outboard of the working deck? It's too late here to dig into the International rules but it certainly doesn't meet the Australian rules for Cat 1 to 5...

Hans Genthe

Dubai
We will make sailing photos if everything is finally adjusted. We just put the sails up and went out, checking bending and flexibility of the mast. 
Nice agile boat, but needs 1-2 days nice sailing days for adjustment.
Looks like the rig setup is not completed yet. Forestay is slack but it looks like at least the d2 is wound on but the d3 isn't. The mast base and collar probably aren't sorted yet since they had just launched it and probably had some figuring out to do with the rake angle.

Normally you wouldn't hoist the sails so early on in this stage until you are at a decent dock tune. These guys were probably itching to get going and I can sympathize with that. I wouldn't judge much here since its literally day 1 for a totally new boat. 

It might be that there is still to much luff curve(or the topmast is to stiff) up high but its hard to call out a bad sail design before the rig is setup correctly. 

I'm totally speculating now but Pauger seems to like stiffer sections from what I have seen around here and maybe using higher mod laminates as well.  Its possible the sail designer was expecting a more dynamic panel above the hounds like you would get with a standard mod or even an alloy tube. Would be great to the get some drone footage of sailing at all different angles. 

A

Amati

Cool catamaran (?) background left.  Just a guess, but we’ve got some sails that have that kind of draft distribution (French sail design suite software). Partial batten setup for less weight.  Power, not pointing, and the flow stays attached long after you think it wouldn’t. Keeping the nose down, boom in, even downwind etc.  Develops massive lift on underwater foils, twisted flow from increasing camber up top. Main plastered on the shrouds even upwind, sometimes. Seems kind of strange at times, stiff mast concept.  Takes some getting used to.  Tell tails always seem to be streaming.  Don’t know if we’re sold on it, or if I’m a hidebound shibboleth.  I’m fascinated by the line and equipment setup.  Wondering about batten stiffness, tacking in light wind- will they pop without grabbing the boom & pumping like crazy?  Wonder what kind of sections the underwater foils are.

Last edited:

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
stanchions not being outboard of the working deck
The Ran FAST40 treatment of this issue looks a bit smarter to my eye (not that that's a boat with any plans to go offshore). I suppose it's easier if you are only racing W/L and don't need the ability to reach with the jib eased.

d9a9595dd3ecee789ab3abf1c92d4622.jpg

It would be relatively simple (and potentially a good idea) to put a toerail on the top edge of the chamfer on the P30's foredeck...

Last edited by a moderator:

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
First sea trial done 
After a day of many adjustments to the rig, halyards and trim lines, we headed out into the sunset. Only main and jib, no gennaker. But the first impressions are great:
- forgiving behaviour - Dmitry did all harbour manoeuvres without engine
- 35 degrees of heel and still good response
- rig and sails fit perfectly
- well balanced and responsive
- nice ergonomics inside at heel
- fittings at the right place
- all trim adjustments working great
- great working backstay system

Adjustments
- Halyard size and clutches need fine adjustment
- Tiller touches the mainsheet (we will shorten it by 80mm)
- Rudder bearings are a bit rough - we are tweaking our machines and making new ones
- Mainsail sheet cleat angle
- Halyard-deckhouse fittings could have less friction
image.png

A

Amati

First sea trial done 
After a day of many adjustments to the rig, halyards and trim lines, we headed out into the sunset. Only main and jib, no gennaker. But the first impressions are great:

Adjustments
- Rudder bearings are a bit rough - we are tweaking our machines and making new ones
View attachment 487530
Are the rudder bearings rough enough so she’ll steer herself?  (Don’t ask how I know….)

Last edited:

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
I think the boat looks good but I’m keen to see what the numbers come out at. IRC measured displacement, stability, rating etc and what extras the boat needs to meet special regs Cat A. Otherwise spoilt for choice on fast Cat B boats!

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
It grows on me. I think this paintjob is 'not ideal' for European eyes. Looks like the old Southwest livery. But it would be great in a paintjob like Quantum or sth. more crazy. 

I think it would be good to visually indicate (e.g. bright neon yellow vs. black), where you can step on the bow and where not, especially to help you in the dark.

At night, with a wet bow... that is an absolute nightmare and these little footrails won't hold you.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
It's worthwhile checking if the balls are the right size. Fractions of a mm matter.
I wonder whether it's a Delrin bush system (i.e. no balls) rather than a Jefa self-aligning job. They mentioned that they were machining a new set.

patrese

It's a Melges32 style system with two large bearings on top and at the bottom of a big "drum" that sit's in the hull and the blade is inside that drum in a "jacket". So no typical shaft and bearing systen  like in most boat's.

You have to  take the rudder blade out easy on a trailer boat like an A30.. 

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
It's a Melges32 style system with two large bearings on top and at the bottom of a big "drum" that sit's in the hull and the blade is inside that drum in a "jacket". So no typical shaft and bearing systen  like in most boat's.
Interesting, thanks. Can you fit a quadrant on the stock (drum) to connect a pilot on this system or are you stuck with tiller pilots?

patrese

Guess not, as it is in a watertight compartment, but you can fit a "tiller" type drive to the tiller as on any other tiller driven boat.

A

Amati

First sea trial done 

Adjustments
View attachment 487530
That hatch would a perfect place for Mercedes sponsorship bling.  

A

Amati

Something in the same general ~niche ~ below, which as a catboat (with a spinn) would get rid of foredeck worries some, although it is stayed, which will keep gybing interesting.

Also wondering why 3000 lbs seems to be a bright line for 30ers?  Rules? Materials? Although the 210 is near that, and it was designed how long ago?  

https://www.yacht-design.nl/designs/solitair-28/?epik=dj0yJnU9NGUyaThTUzI1X09BV3E4VlBUT0pwVjFVbzk1MElPbWomcD0wJm49aUhiVmp1UkRucUNISW00QVlFb25MQSZ0PUFBQUFBR0FaaEE4

64F02AB9-5027-4862-AE3B-65C64FA87BB3.png

Last edited:

Hans Genthe

Dubai
https://www.aeoloscomposites.com/post/aeolos-p30-first-sea-trial

@Hans Genthe

What is so special about the backstay system? For me it looks quite normal.

Further more, I never had a non working backstay system. 
It´s only about fine tuning. The sheets are running very easy and free through the spinlock clutches. 8mm sheets with technora cover and dyneema core. Nice running ball bearing blocks at the backstay and stern, no cheap timbles. The Karver winsches are perfect, faster in the first gear, but same ratio in the second gear compared to the Harken winches on my Farr280. The yard standard system on my Farr280 worked, but if you have to go down/turn the system had too much friction, so the boom was not able to push the backstay out. So I changed timbles into blocks and better sheets. (1400 EUR Invest an my Farr280, series on the AP30)

Latest posts