Who know more about the Aeolos P30?

Hans Genthe

Dubai
I think the boat looks good but I’m keen to see what the numbers come out at. IRC measured displacement, stability, rating etc and what extras the boat needs to meet special regs Cat A. Otherwise spoilt for choice on fast Cat B boats!

I wonder whether it's a Delrin bush system (i.e. no balls) rather than a Jefa self-aligning job. They mentioned that they were machining a new set.
Yes, we make a new set. Fine tuning.

Hans Genthe

Dubai
@Hans Genthe now we are back on track and talking about the P30, can you comment on what STIX, RCD/ISO category etc you expect the boat to get and whether it’ll be eligible for races like the Fastnet? I remember reading somewhere that 3 tonne displacement was a magic threshold for all this stuff, so interested to hear what’s possible at 1.6 tonnes. 
The standard boat is for Cat B, but structural engineering and cockpit design is done for A, so we are open for more. We have to finish the CE-Certification now and after that we work on a Cat A Version, if we get a serious client request.

A

Amati

It´s only about fine tuning. The sheets are running very easy and free through the spinlock clutches. 8mm sheets with technora cover and dyneema core. Nice running ball bearing blocks at the backstay and stern, no cheap timbles. The Karver winsches are perfect, faster in the first gear, but same ratio in the second gear compared to the Harken winches on my Farr280. The yard standard system on my Farr280 worked, but if you have to go down/turn the system had too much friction, so the boom was not able to push the backstay out. So I changed timbles into blocks and better sheets. (1400 EUR Invest an my Farr280, series on the AP30)
Are you pulling backstays forward, or using block weight so they fall forward?  Any strategies aside from boom grunt to avoid backstays snagging on the sails?  (FWIW I found by accident using an old heavy Harken big ball bearing block up high enough not to bonk heads in the cockpit on the end of the running backs will take a lot, if not all, the work and friction of the boom away. Tackle goes clean from from the side of the stern up to the block and back down.  Only snagging problem is batten ends- even switching to the batten end controls at the luff hasn’t quite stopped that- Spectra sails.). Are there advantages for you having bridles in back for the backstay vs individual staying points a bit to each side? 

Last edited:

Hans Genthe

Dubai
Are you pulling backstays forward, or using block weight so they fall forward?  Any strategies aside from boom grunt to avoid backstays snagging on the sails?  (FWIW I found by accident using an old heavy Harken big ball bearing block up high enough not to bonk heads in the cockpit on the end of the running backs will take a lot, if not all, the work and friction of the boom away. Tackle goes clean from from the side of the stern up to the block and back down.  Only snagging problem is batten ends- even switching to the batten end controls at the luff hasn’t quite stopped that- Spectra sails.). Are there advantages for you having bridles in back for the backstay vs individual staying points a bit to each side? 
We have an elastic cord from backstay around the mast to the other backstay at the height of the second spreader. One side above the spreader, the other side below. That´s enough to keep the backstay stays always in front of the boom or battens, also when reefed. The blocks are 1,5t breaking load ultralight Allen Aluminium blocks, great stuff. On a hot gennaker run you can use the Spinlock XTX jammer to free the winch for handling the gennaker sheet from max aft windward side. A footrail on the cockpit floor gives a safe/strong grinding position. 

backstay.jpg

backstay2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
Something in the same general ~niche ~ below, which as a catboat (with a spinn) would get rid of foredeck worries some, although it is stayed, which will keep gybing interesting.

Also wondering why 3000 lbs seems to be a bright line for 30ers?  Rules? Materials? Although the 210 is near that, and it was designed how long ago?  

https://www.yacht-design.nl/designs/solitair-28/?epik=dj0yJnU9NGUyaThTUzI1X09BV3E4VlBUT0pwVjFVbzk1MElPbWomcD0wJm49aUhiVmp1UkRucUNISW00QVlFb25MQSZ0PUFBQUFBR0FaaEE4

View attachment 487794
this might need its own thread. 

440483670_ScreenShot2022-01-28at6_29_29AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 6.29.56 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
also compression post.

What is the purpose of the divider in the fore peak?
that is odd. and from the website, it gets even stranger: "the mast is easy to stow, because the mast is sliding below the deck in a box."

another thing I learned from clicking. boat has no jib. gennaker only.

A

Amati

What is the purpose of the divider in the fore peak?
AIUI, It’s the box that the mast base slides in longitudinally when mast raising.  Neat that it does so many things at once.  

(On Black Jack’s suggestion, I started a separate thread on the Solitaire- modern SH cat boat with Assymetrical 

Last edited: