Laker

Super Anarchist
PNW
 Americas Average import tariff is 3 percent 

in the EU the average import tariff  14 percent 

the EU levies a 350 percent tariff on american tobacco

the eu levies a 140 percent tariff on American peanuts 

the Eu levies a 10 percent tariff on American cars 

If you would like I can go on and on ...country by country ..and prove that the US has the lowest average trade tariff in the world 
I noticed you stopped there.  Other than Brazil and some niche markets, I think you have come near the end.  BTW, Harley Davidsons need mufflers to be imported to EU has little to do with the tariff rate. Blue Jeans, you have a point.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Australia is a strip mine...it adds no value to products . Its trades iron ore for cars. 
Reeealllyy? So that's why the USA blocks our exports of sugar, sheep and a range of other agricultural products, is it? Not only by tariffs but absolute import quotas.

You should quit while you're behind because you're *never* going to get ahead.

FKT

Mark K

Super Anarchist
Import tariffs protect workers.  Protecting workers is not high on the list of priorities for those who fund congressional and presidential elections. Fucking workers out of money and benefits on that list. 
 I'm quite sure they want to protect the Americans who shop at Walmart from having their prices triple...at least while they are running for office. 

It seems unlikely to me. The Chinese would have to be an order of magnitude dumber than they appear to be to go nuclear on this. However Congress is a panicky herd, and a wholly owned subsidiary of Wall Street.  

Last edited by a moderator:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Re: the OP - only morons with zero knowledge of history.

Tariff situations like the Orange Idiot's have only one result - tit for tat that impoverishes everyone.

Like most right wing stupidities, it's been done - numerous times - and always has the same result - economic disaster.

As an aside - has anyone else noticed that the Orange Idiots eyes are looking stupider and stupider as time goes by?

image.png

jerseyguy

Super Anarchist
Re: the OP - only morons with zero knowledge of history.

Tariff situations like the Orange Idiot's have only one result - tit for tat that impoverishes everyone.

Like most right wing stupidities, it's been done - numerous times - and always has the same result - economic disaster.

As an aside - has anyone else noticed that the Orange Idiots eyes are looking stupider and stupider as time goes by?

View attachment 262526
Behind those eyes there's a whole lot of empty space with nothing good going on. Looks half drunk.

Nailing Malarkey Too

Super Anarchist
Whilst Trump plays tiddlywinks with global trade, lumping American allies and competitors for the top dog crown all in one basket, at least he’s uniting the rest of the world and giving them a common goal. 

The revised PTPP, renamed as the CPTPP, is bubbling along nicely. Not only that, the RCEP is becoming an even more serious power bloc too, albeit with tougher challenges.

What’s noticeable is the commitment to trading borders remain open and more determined than ever, but specifically not to the US if Trump continues his isolationist approach. Short summation below:

Conclusion of CPTPP does not deliver the big strategic goal of keeping the US entrenched in Asia. However, it still sends to Mr Trump a message on the region's commitment to openness. Holding the line and pushing back against growing protectionist sentiment keeps up the pressure. It could add momentum for broader liberalisation in Asia by facilitating expansion of membership and by lifting the ambition in the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP), an agreement being negotiated by the 10 ASEAN members as well as Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea.

RCEP includes some of the largest and most dynamic economies in the world and is important enough to make a difference globally. An Australian Productivity Commission study estimates that even if tariffs were raised 15 percentage points globally (similar to what happened in the Great Depression), RCEP countries could all continue economic expansion if they abolished tariffs as a group. The gains for RCEP countries would be even larger with behind-the-border reforms.

Australia has a trade deficit on trade to the US by almost double, and have been told we are not exempt from the Trump steel and alloy tariffs. Talk about pushing away your trading partners.

Actions have consequences. It’s a shame Trump’s just too thick to think more than one sound bite ahead. 
If you think the "American Technology, Universities, Markets and our Defense umbrella" don't matter to you, by all means please unite against us. I hear China would love to be your friend, wink wink. 

A simple question for you. Does the US have any grounds at all for trade complaints against Mexico, China's manipulated currency  Canadian pulp and softwood,  European goods, worldwide intellectual property theft? Any? Even eensy teensy tiny ones? 

Well if you agree that maybe, just maybe, we have a valid trade argument or three then you may also understand that a negotiating position of "Please China if it isn't too much trouble would you like please pay for software, license patents you use, stop making knock offs, stop dumping, allow competitive bidding for foreign contractors,  let your currency float and stop barring US products from Chinese markets artificially? Pretty Please." is not how Trump works or thinks.

He always starts with nuclear hand grenades before the Tea and Scones come out.  I'm curious why this is such a hard lesson for the Left. 

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
If you think the "American Technology, Universities, Markets and our Defense umbrella" don't matter to you, by all means please unite against us. I hear China would love to be your friend, wink wink. 

A simple question for you. Does the US have any grounds at all for trade complaints against Mexico, China's manipulated currency  Canadian pulp and softwood,  European goods, worldwide intellectual property theft? Any? Even eensy teensy tiny ones? 

Well if you agree that maybe, just maybe, we have a valid trade argument or three then you may also understand that a negotiating position of "Please China if it isn't too much trouble would you like please pay for software, license patents you use, stop making knock offs, stop dumping, allow competitive bidding for foreign contractors,  let your currency float and stop barring US products from Chinese markets artificially? Pretty Please." is not how Trump works or thinks.

He always starts with nuclear hand grenades before the Tea and Scones come out.  I'm curious why this is such a hard lesson for the Left. 
That's all well & good and all except the majority of your aluminium comes from CANADA not CHINA.

FKT

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Tell that to a farmer...That was going to open huge markets.
Ummmm, it was good for *us*. The USA was going to keep right on blocking us from selling you sugar and a pile of other things we do better while extending copyright, pharma patents and a range of other things.

Look at the existing trade imbalance between the USA & Australia then tell me why we'd want to help you guys make it worse.

As I said, Trump's only problem with the TPP was, it didn't screw every other country ENOUGH.

FKT

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Ummmm, it was good for *us*. The USA was going to keep right on blocking us from selling you sugar and a pile of other things we do better while extending copyright, pharma patents and a range of other things.

Look at the existing trade imbalance between the USA & Australia then tell me why we'd want to help you guys make it worse.

As I said, Trump's only problem with the TPP was, it didn't screw every other country ENOUGH.

FKT
That is the problem right there. Regardless of every other country or principle on earth, Donnie has to win.

Nailing Malarkey Too

Super Anarchist

FKT
You mention a trade deficit with the US with a "we don't like it tone". Maybe you can see how we feel then about China etc.

austin1972

Super Anarchist

FKT
I'll admit to it being a selfish comment. Markets are really tight right now and it hurts to watch neighbors go under. One neighbor hung himself a few weeks ago. He couldn't pull another note for the seed this year. Nice guy too.

Last edited by a moderator: