Who really believes tariffs are good business

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Grenades tend to blow up in all directions. First salvo. More will come.
main-qimg-c6ecfc17c7b27b9ccca9ed48adfb0035-c

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
You mention a trade deficit with the US with a "we don't like it tone". Maybe you can see how we feel then about China etc.
I don't care a great deal about the trade deficit TBH. I thought it would be worse than that. It's all swings & roundabouts. We have a relatively small population, we need to trade so we're more focused on export markets.

What we did learn, to our cost, was that tariffs end up doing a hell of a lot of damage right at home because the price of goods goes up & protected companies/industries don't innovate as they have no need to - they just fasten like leeches on their captive market. Your sugar industry is a classic example.

FKT

Ease the sheet.

ignoring stupid people is easy
I'll admit to it being a selfish comment. Markets are really tight right now and it hurts to watch neighbors go under. One neighbor hung himself a few weeks ago. He couldn't pull another note for the seed this year. Nice guy too.
Farmers around the  world  get it. They all want a fair crack. Politicians  and corporations want money. Once again, the poor fellows in the fields  get fucked over.

Sorry about your  neighbor.  And neighbors. 

austin1972

Super Anarchist
Farmers around the  world  get it. They all want a fair crack. Politicians  and corporations want money. Once again, the poor fellows in the fields  get fucked over.

Sorry about your  neighbor.  And neighbors. 
Those of us that make it don't rely on farm income. We also have 'real' jobs.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Those of us that make it don't rely on farm income. We also have 'real' jobs.
Subsidies,  plus a second job , are common for most farmers in the developed world.

without subsidies places like Switzerland would  not produce any agricultural products.

a mediteranean olive grove is all about subsidies. 

Agriculture, fishing  will alway be different...case by case, country by country 

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Subsidies,  plus a second job , are common for most farmers in the developed world.

without subsidies places like Switzerland would  not produce any agricultural products.

a mediteranean olive grove is all about subsidies. 

Agriculture, fishing  will alway be different...case by case, country by country 
not my cousins olive grove.  They are part of a consortium of 4 other groves in their area in Southern Italy near Bari.  Their grove has around 4000 Olive trees and each tree can make around 1-1.5 gallons of EVOO ...the good shit. The REAL good shit (think SUPER KIND BUD)  They are getting approx. $250-$300/gal. .  each grove there makes about the same. The 5 families combine resources, no govt. subsidies for them.   After all is said and done, they are able to pay their employees (only a handful)  keep the groove healthy and have a modest living in a beautiful farmhouse with everything they want.  Obviously it varies from area to area, country to country... this year the price is going up because most of the olive consortiums had a bad year in production....

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
not my cousins olive grove.  They are part of a consortium of 4 other groves in their area in Southern Italy near Bari.  Their grove has around 4000 Olive trees and each tree can make around 1-1.5 gallons of EVOO ...the good shit. The REAL good shit (think SUPER KIND BUD)  They are getting approx. $250-$300/gal. .  each grove there makes about the same. The 5 families combine resources, no govt. subsidies for them.   After all is said and done, they are able to pay their employees (only a handful)  keep the groove healthy and have a modest living in a beautiful farmhouse with everything they want.  Obviously it varies from area to area, country to country... this year the price is going up because most of the olive consortiums had a bad year in production....
The CAP  is complex.  I would not know how to interpret its direct impact on any particular farm .

For olives,  in the past it was paid per tree to the owner of the tree, the land , not necessarily  the person who rents the land .

this was the angle that  the Mafia played. 

At present    2.5 billion euros per year  goes to olive oil subsidies .  

Italy is having a big problem with olive tree disease 

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-business/europe/where-the-olive-trees-are-dying-report-on-xylella/59847

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Are Trump's Tariffs really only a bargaining chips?

"President Donald Trump has turned his steel tariffs from a tool for protecting national security into a bargaining chip offered to Canada and Mexico to seal a quick deal on Nafta".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-06/steel-tariffs-transform-into-nafta-chip-as-trump-plays-dealmaker
If it is just a bargaining chip, then Trump is hosed on his "national security" excuse and the WTO will calll him on it. I think all that came afterwards, though. He's rattled and he threw a tantrum, popped out a giant squirrel to occupy the headlines, then had to justify it. 

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
The CAP  is complex.  I would not know how to interpret its direct impact on any particular farm .

For olives,  in the past it was paid per tree to the owner of the tree, the land , not necessarily  the person who rents the land .

this was the angle that  the Mafia played. 

At present    2.5 billion euros per year  goes to olive oil subsidies .  

Italy is having a big problem with olive tree disease 

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-business/europe/where-the-olive-trees-are-dying-report-on-xylella/59847
past two years, the olive yield has been lower....I've only been able to smuggle a gal. of the good stuff when in the past, my cousin has been able to ship me 5 gal. of liquid love....we don't discuss "family" with my cousin  

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia
past two years, the olive yield has been lower....I've only been able to smuggle a gal. of the good stuff when in the past, my cousin has been able to ship me 5 gal. of liquid love....we don't discuss "family" with my cousin  
I got the distinct impression The 'Ndràngheta are not spoken about publicly in Calabria. 

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Mismoyled Jiblet. said:
Highlights how US Corps have been more interested in finding ways to fuck other countrys over by market manipulation - right now the drug companys are salivating to go after NHS pricing in the UK - than they are interested in access to markets.
Yes they were/are desperate to fuck over our PBS (pharmaceutical benefits scheme) which negotiates & bulk-buys drugs too. Not to mention 'evergreening' drug patents by bringing out a minor variant that does nothing new clinically, withholding clinical trial data used to get approval from 3rd parties etc etc.

I kind of hope Trump really does blow up the whole thing. Let's see how the Disney et al like having their copyright reduced to the original period of 14 years from publication.

FKT