Who's coming to the US Sailing Leadership forum?

Delta Blues

Super Anarchist
Let's think about this. In my humble opinion, under U.S. Sailing's direction (and it's predecessor USYRU), sail boat racing has been on the decline for 35 years. In that same time U.S. Sailing has developed numerous programs which they will be selling those programs and services to the people who come to the Leadership Summit.

The experts at shrinking sailing will convince others to help shrink sailing too. Jump on the bandwagon everyone! All aboard, full speed ahead.

Why anyone would go to this thing, is beyond my imagination. Obviously the numbers of participation don't matter to anyone. If it did, no one would go, they would go elsewhere seeking answers to growth and prosperity.

It's all about making coin to US Sailing. I'll bet that Clean doesn't get a free entry, I bet they make the speakers at the event pay the $225 entry fee. Such a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

left hook

Super Anarchist
I'll be there...Hopefully this snow storm in the NE doesn't hold up my flight tomorrow night out of BOS...
US Sailing sent the girl running the app out a day early because of that concern.

Clean, they're at least trying to bring in the right people for the job. Rather than having some fogey running the app it's an active college sailor friend of mine who lives in the dorms with me.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Let's think about this. In my humble opinion, under U.S. Sailing's direction (and it's predecessor USYRU), sail boat racing has been on the decline for 35 years. In that same time U.S. Sailing has developed numerous programs which they will be selling those programs and services to the people who come to the Leadership Summit.

The experts at shrinking sailing will convince others to help shrink sailing too. Jump on the bandwagon everyone! All aboard, full speed ahead.

Why anyone would go to this thing, is beyond my imagination. Obviously the numbers of participation don't matter to anyone. If it did, no one would go, they would go elsewhere seeking answers to growth and prosperity.

It's all about making coin to US Sailing. I'll bet that Clean doesn't get a free entry, I bet they make the speakers at the event pay the $225 entry fee. Such a deal.
Both Mer and I are free, but you're right that it wasn't easy to make that happen and we had to rely on 'media' status rather than as speakers. But SA is paying for our hotel, and I used air miles...

Like I said at the YC Summit, there is some progress happening here; the question is: Will I die before it yields fruit? I'm 41 BTW...

If they do this whole thing again and don't have really good coverage of it, it will be a big waste of time. But if you think they made a big effort to get 'media' there, you'd be wrong. In fact it was my e-mail to them more than 6 months ago that precipitated the panel I am on. If we left it alone, the whole thing would have gone by unnoticed.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I'll be there...Hopefully this snow storm in the NE doesn't hold up my flight tomorrow night out of BOS...
US Sailing sent the girl running the app out a day early because of that concern.

Clean, they're at least trying to bring in the right people for the job. Rather than having some fogey running the app it's an active college sailor friend of mine who lives in the dorms with me.
I know they are trying, and I am trying to give them some benefit of the doubt. But as I wrote, it is all a bit painful to watch.

penname

My club is sending the head of the junior program. She is chasing away kids and families from the junior program by only being interested in racing. She calls those kids aged 7-10 not as interested in racing the "baby sitting sailing club". I don't hold out much hope.
So are you volunteering to run the baby sitting sailing club? Programmes tend to achieve only what they set out to achieve: no reason why you shouldn't have two with different aims running alongside each other.
I run a business and don't have time to run a junior program. I do take the week off work and volunteer everyday at our junior camp though. Also, working with another club to start a junior program that focuses on fun, sailing skills ans safety. There is no way to run a parallel junior program without causing an even bigger rift at our club between dingy sailors and big boat racers and cruisers

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
My club is sending the head of the junior program. She is chasing away kids and families from the junior program by only being interested in racing. She calls those kids aged 7-10 not as interested in racing the "baby sitting sailing club". I don't hold out much hope.
If she is a club employee, fire her and replace her. Otherwise, if she is a member, publically and vocally challenge her ....and encourage other parents to do the same.

garyedelman

Anarchist
Clean: Tom Dammrich is still running NMMA. I suppose he'll be there.

You might also see Ben Wold, Exec VP who is in charge of boat shows,

and Carl Blackwell, their PR/Communications VP who runs Discover

Boating/Welcome to the Water. And Sail America is having a Board of

Directors meeting co-located with the event so you might see some

industry folks there as well. Kenny Read was on the Sail America Board

but I think he passed his seat to Kimo.

Setting aside money for community sailing folks to make the meeting has been

a joke in the past. They promise the money and then don't make good, and

give the surplus in the community sailing budget to Offshore. Like someone

once said at a US Sailing Finance Committee meeting they have a tendency to

balance the books on the backs of inner city kids.

Good luck.

cbulger

Newport
is this US ailing leadership forum where US Ailing tells us all to drink their koolaid and then ask for money to support US ailing?? with no say in how this organization is run?? oh yeah....
The fundamental flaw in any US Sailing run event: It's run for the rich.

We'll do our best to dig deeper. We're usually pretty good at that.
Run BY the rich - really?

Or run by "sailmakers" with very high touch service models that only work for rich customers and therefore are only interested in "progress" in that direction???

Who's the keynote again? A rich guy or someone who sells to rich guys?

hobie17li

Anarchist
Penname, please post pictures of her tits so I can decide if i want to go..otherwise I can fix her up with our head
instructor, A minister of some weird southern religion, who will not stop calling everyone "Sir" constantly...should be a
great pair

Delta Blues

Super Anarchist

Both Mer and I are free, but you're right that it wasn't easy to make that happen and we had to rely on 'media' status rather than as speakers. But SA is paying for our hotel, and I used air miles...

Like I said at the YC Summit, there is some progress happening here; the question is: Will I die before it yields fruit? I'm 41 BTW...

If they do this whole thing again and don't have really good coverage of it, it will be a big waste of time. But if you think they made a big effort to get 'media' there, you'd be wrong. In fact it was my e-mail to them more than 6 months ago that precipitated the panel I am on. If we left it alone, the whole thing would have gone by unnoticed.
Wow, they're slipping. Usually they charge everyone and their brother to go to any of their meetings. Someone needs to wake up in Portsmouth, figure this out and back bill you and the others for making your presentations. They're leaving thousands on the table.

Can't see going to an event to teach me how to shrink sailing, from the experts who have successfully shrunk sailing in the past 35 years. It is sad to think of all of these people who have gone to this thing, who will come back to their clubs as "experts" who were taught the US Sailing business model on how to exert massive control over everything, while simultaneously turning people off and sending them away from the sport. It sure is counter-intuitive what US Sailing professes based on the real numbers of participation in the country.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
It ain't the age, it's the mileage, brother. You ain't made out of vagina; at some point you are going to show the amount and type of mileage. We all do.

L Z

Reporters
I'll be there - actually on the way there. Paying my own way 100%. Wasn't offered and didn't ask for help. Will try to offer some help if I can.

If you have an issue with how it is run, which has been the majority of the case here on SA, step up and help. Throwing crap from the outside doesn't do you or them any good.

LZ

airacer

Those that are there...please post a summary/feedback of the different tracks if possible. Clean...Video/Interviews???

aA

Super Anarchist
norcal™
If you have an issue with how it is run, which has been the majority of the case here on SA, step up and help. Throwing crap from the outside doesn't do you or them any good.

LZ

when the president of uss paid a surprise visit to our club in december, one of the questions asked of him was "does uss have plans to open a west coast office and staff it properly to support the other half of the country?" the answer was "no"

so how exactly would one help them when they refuse to help themselves?

Latest posts