Why America has 8.4 million unemployed when there are 10 million job openings

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Stevie Wonder likely quote: "shitjob workers will be going back to work the instant unemployment stops."

It's actually looking like little or no connection. The regions where angry business owners demanded the dadgum gubbermint stop paying people to not work, so as to be able to hire them for shit wages again, have the highest unemployment.

The states that are paying out benefits have relatively stronger economies.

Who woulda thunk it?

- DSK

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Full Employment is an Employers nightmare .
"No Pepsi, Coke!"

giphy.gif

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
It's actually looking like little or no connection. The regions where angry business owners demanded the dadgum gubbermint stop paying people to not work, so as to be able to hire them for shit wages again, have the highest unemployment.

The states that are paying out benefits have relatively stronger economies.

Who woulda thunk it?
Let's see how it plays out. Gotta pay for them "young 'uns" nobody wanted in the first place. I really don't get this unemployment. I dig not wanting to work for peanuts but you can eat peanuts.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
I think many factors are in play, if you listen to Faux news it's the huge amount of money, people are getting to stay home, 

First and probably most important , Life is just to short not to enjoy it,

on That note the 1%ers have made a ton of money during this Covid thing, Do they really work NO! just make their money on the stock market .

Work condition have seems to have deteriorated , long hours , low pay , customers treating servers like shit ( flight attendants ) unsafe working environments.

People cutting back on the need for money , to keep up with the Jones, low interest rates to get in debt , and QE , for printing more money , again going to the rich.

Retirement at a younger age , and retired people not getting a second job, for many reasons ie: 100's of bus drivers walking off the job, why, students not wearing mask, being abused by the parents and students , all for a second job?

many women in Florida finding, older wealthier sugar daddy to support them  so why work?

Taxes too high for the working class , but the 1%ers pay nothing all too support the richest Military in the world ( by 10X) and a corrupt government

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Before her mother prohibited my 12 (almost 13 now) y/o grandneighbor from visiting (Because I kept telling her to get vaxed, and mom is an anti-vaxer, and now all 7 people across the street have covid) I was paying her about $10 hour to mow the yard, with my mower, and my gasoline, and also feeding her lunch.

The young women who work at the Dollar store only make $8 per hour.

Now it's true that I was getting a vicarious thrill about educating this young girl about things like truth, and science, and objective information gathering, as well as loaning her subversive books like "Dog Stars" and "The Stories of Breece D'J. Pancake".... But as of right now I just hope that she, her brother and sisters, mother, and mother's boyfriend all survive.

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
random. said:
The aim of Corporations is to dominate the market, take it over completely, crush all competition.

Then if you actually achieve that, it's illegal.

But Capitalism steams on regardless and Corporations are allowed to set illegal goals.
Another complete mis-understanding of how the world works, expressed with a remarkable lack of clarity by a random poster.

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
"I work for minimum wage while Bezos goes for a ride in space and half our politicians want the Covid to kill us. Fuck you."

Any questions?

Marty6

Anarchist
Kempten
None of the jobs are where the unemployed are and most most of the unemployed want to do the jobs offered. Welcome to the great new world ;)

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
@random. wrote . . . 

The aim of Corporations is to dominate the market, take it over completely, crush all competition.

Then if you actually achieve that, it's illegal.   

As wise old (and fair minded) business prof at my old uni who had a ton of bidness experience used to put it, 

"As a company, it's our job to try to dominate the market, and it's the job of the government to prevent us from succeeding." 

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
quod umbra said:
No big mystery here - if a job is going begging the compensation is too low.

Period.

It's no different than a boat that goes unsold for a year in a hot market - in that case the price is too high.

Period.
Ugh, or maybe what it is really about is skillsets and the desire to take a job deemed beneath them.....

So, as an independent-minded libertarian, you don't understand simple supply & demand in markets? The narrative of blaming the poor is very seductive for your personality, we have seen that already, but do try to actually -think- once in a while.

- DSK

Huggy Bear Brown

Anarchist
If you sail, you're going to use sandpaper at some point.  It used to be a very labor intensive process to produce sanding discs and with labor a large part of the cost alternatives were needed to meet the expectations of a price point target (or else move your production to a low cost labor country).  It becomes a simple payback calculation to see what the cost of automation is vs. manual labor.  In this case automation provided a solution.  You might want $15/hr, but in a lot of applications automation may provide a better economic solution.  This is from the company I use to work for....opt out of the advertisment and watch some laser processing and part picking in action to see how your dust free sanding discs are manufactured with minimal labor intervention.  

Elegua

Generalissimo
random. said:
All companies establish strategies to out compete their competitors.  If they succeed they become a monoply.  Monoplies are illegal in many circumstances around the world.

Why do you continue to make a fuckwit of yourself?  Do some reading FFS.

A History of U.S. Monopolies
Actually the US economic history is that of regulated oligopoly for most of it's history. Monopoly is not illegal, but using monopoly power to distort/influence the market is. 

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Actually the US economic history is that of regulated oligopoly for most of it's history. Monopoly is not illegal, but using monopoly power to distort/influence the market is. 
This was taught in my high school in the late 1950s well before Ma Bell was broken up. What's all that education in? 

Elegua

Generalissimo
This was taught in my high school in the late 1950s well before Ma Bell was broken up. What's all that education in? 
Doesn't mean it's not true. Anyway, people have no love for the "dismal science" despite how important it is.

10 years of economic change are getting pushed through in 24-36 months. It's going to be hard for people to get their head's around it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

roundthebuoys

Super Anarchist
Limelight
We are exactly where we should be.  The pandemic has reset everything.  I personally love the fact that our local paper has 8 columns of "help wanted" ads and one (not one column), ONE rental unit 1 bed/1bath $2200/mo 1st/last, security deposit.  Funny how business owners and the general public are now realizing what "essential" employees are now.  But $15/min wage will put small biz out of business.  You know what else will?  No employees.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
As she spoke with The Washington Post, Lehnhoff pored over the Indeed.com job portal. It showed more than 2,000 job posts in the Fairfax County, Va., area for child care teaching assistants. Most paid $12 to $13 an hour, a bit less than many nearby fast food restaurants and retail stores.
And they wonder which is easier: wrangling toddlers or flipping burgers. I know which one I would pick.

Amazon's turnover - "Amazon has been hiring hundreds of thousands of workers for roles in its warehouses, which it calls fulfillment centers, but those employees have been quitting almost as fast as they can be hired, according to a huge report from The New York Times published on Tuesday.

Many of the over 350,000 workers Amazon hired from July to October stayed with the company "just days or weeks," the report said."  https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-warehouse-turnover-worker-shortage-2021-6

This gets to be a real problem when EVERYBODY knows how much it sucks to work at an Amazon warehouse. And you get fired for too many bathroom breaks that reduce your numbers. They have been running nonstop radio and TV ads in the Vancouver area trying to find staff. Jeff Bezos believes people are inherently lazy and they keep culling the lower productivity employees.

It would be nice if Amazon churned through so many people that they stopped making so much money because the way they treat their staff so poorly.

Latest posts