Why America has 8.4 million unemployed when there are 10 million job openings

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
If you sail, you're going to use sandpaper at some point.  It used to be a very labor intensive process to produce sanding discs and with labor a large part of the cost alternatives were needed to meet the expectations of a price point target
Well after all, the apologists for capitalism have claimed for several centuries that the economy would become so productive that everyone would enjoy a high quality of life and far more leisure  . . . 

So what are we waiting for ?? 

Time for a 30 hour week. 

Automation ought to mean more leisure. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Yes, and no. Humans seem to have an innate desire for "More"

Yes, there's no reason that a universal income minimum couldn't be done. 

But there's also no reason people who choose to work 50+ hour weeks (regular in tech) shouldn't be allowed to do exactly that.

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
But there's also no reason people who choose to work 50+ hour weeks (regular in tech) shouldn't be allowed to do exactly that.
Right on !!  And lots of them do it just because they like it - not in order to acquire more stuff. 

In her retirement, the Admiral is a relentless and unpaid caregiver - helping out grandkids, relatives, and me when I get busted up. 

Huggy Bear Brown

Anarchist
Well after all, the apologists for capitalism have claimed for several centuries that the economy would become so productive that everyone would enjoy a high quality of life and far more leisure  . . . 

So what are we waiting for ?? 

Time for a 30 hour week. 

That's the answer I would expect from a "Retired Pol Sci Professor" who has no idea how business operates.  Automation allows for much greater productivity, but it requires a higher level of technical skill to design, build, install, operate and maintain the equipment.  Not to mention the devlopment of new sensors, machine vision technology, supporting technology...........  Only a Pol Sci Professor would think of 'more leisure'.

Elegua

Generalissimo
That's the answer I would expect from a "Retired Pol Sci Professor" who has no idea how business operates.  Automation allows for much greater productivity, but it requires a higher level of technical skill to design, build, install, operate and maintain the equipment.  Not to mention the devlopment of new sensors, machine vision technology, supporting technology...........  Only a Pol Sci Professor would think of 'more leisure'.
Yeah, automation means the two HC left over have to cover everything. :D    In a past life we only needed a couple of guys per shift to run babysit around 10 automated milling machines. We eventually even had a robot doing deburring, which was a very manual and somewhat skilled task. 

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
It would be nice if Amazon churned through so many people that they stopped making so much money because the way they treat their staff so poorly.
I'm waiting patiently for that moment, but I doubt I will ever see it. Amazon will announce their new robot line before that happens. The unemployed become a government problem. People smile when their monthly check comes in the mail, everyone scratches their head 'what happened'?

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
The purpose of an economy is to serve the needs of the people - not the other way around. 

If automation requires MORE work hours, why have it ?? 

You are making the Luddites argument for them. 

Huggy Bear Brown

Anarchist
The purpose of an economy is to serve the needs of the people - not the other way around. 

If automation requires MORE work hours, why have it ?? 

You are making the Luddites argument for them. 
Oh good grief..........I would like to see things from your point of view, but I'm just not willing to stick my head that far up my ass to do it....  You're hopelessly over your head on this one.

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
The way to fix it is 

- DSK
Fix the GOD DAMN TAX CODE.

Every administration promises something to bring things inline. OBAMA BIDEN had 8 years to do what they said they were going to do but did nothing. Yes Repub admins are just as bad.

DEMs and REPUBs are all fucked up drunk on Corporate $$$$$$

• Fix the tax code
  • Lobbyists' are only allowed to address congress in session. They cannot walk the halls freely or contact elected officials privately.
  • create economic treason laws
  • Punish fraud against the taxpayers severly
  • then of course we have to fix the legal system.

Sorry for coming back way to soon but it is still amazing that the same troll douche bag posters still spew their leftist shit.

gptyk

Anarchist
California
Problem with 50+ hour weeks, particularly in software development, is it's unsustainable.  Many studies have shown the peak productivity/lowest error rate for the typical developer is around 37 hours. 

The Electronic Arts "Deathmarch" style of development doesn't work very well. More errors(bugs) are generated leading to more time to fix them, etc. The staff spends far less time "in flow" once overtime is mandatory, further reducing productivity. 

But for those that like it, fine by me. But good managers know that Lumbergesque weekend work mandates don't work.

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
Oh good grief..........I would like to see things from your point of view, but I'm just not willing to stick my head that far up my ass to do it....  You're hopelessly over your head on this one.
This is what passes for rational argument on the Dogballs R-e-ic-h. 

Using purely insults, you are trying to cover up the fact that you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about. 

I'm still being more civil than you. 

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
This was taught in my high school in the late 1950s well before Ma Bell was broken up. What's all that education in? 
Doesn't mean it's not true. Anyway, people have no love for the "dismal science" despite how important it is.

10 years of economic change are getting pushed through in 24-36 months. It's going to be hard for people to get their head's around it. 
This was in response to Randy's 7th grade tutorial in monopolies. I queried what he invested that 13 years of grad school in? 

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
We are exactly where we should be.  The pandemic has reset everything.  I personally love the fact that our local paper has 8 columns of "help wanted" ads and one (not one column), ONE rental unit 1 bed/1bath $2200/mo 1st/last, security deposit.  Funny how business owners and the general public are now realizing what "essential" employees are now.  But $15/min wage will put small biz out of business.  You know what else will?  No employees.
If your business model doesn't allow for profit while paying employees a living wage, your business model is a problem.

Businesses are going to have to embrace the idea of pricing their products so their employees can live, and consumers are going to see the effect in prices.

Or maybe they could change their profit targets - a Big Mac in the U.S. doesn't cost appreciably different than one in Australia, but the people on Oz make a lot more money delivering them to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
Yes, and no. Humans seem to have an innate desire for "More"

Yes, there's no reason that a universal income minimum couldn't be done. 

I don't that's necessarily innate to human nature. I think it's a value that a capitalistic culture inculcates, there are plenty of societies where crass consumerism, over consumption and greed do not dominate the lives of individuals.

roundthebuoys

Super Anarchist
Limelight

Every administration promises something to bring things inline. OBAMA BIDEN had 8 years to do what they said they were going to do but did nothing. Yes Repub admins are just as bad.

• Fix the tax code
  • Lobbyists' are only allowed to address congress in session. They cannot walk the halls freely or contact elected officials privately.

Sorry for coming back way to soon but it is still amazing that the same troll douche bag posters still spew their leftist shit.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick us leftist douchebags would agree with some of what you are saying.  Now tell us what exactly in the tax code you want to fix.

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
On the positive side there will always be a need for HR departments to deal with employer based healthcare and abortion bounty hunters.
Get into the septic/ sanitation cleaning profession. There’s always a need to pump a shitter. ALWAYS 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I don't that's necessarily innate to human nature. I think it's a value that a capitalistic culture inculcates, there are plenty of societies where crass consumerism, over consumption and greed do not dominate the lives of individuals.
True, I stand corrected.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
True, I stand corrected.
Maybe, just maybe, it's the lack of a living social safety net in the US. My wife and I could retire. But we don't. Part of it is staying busy, part is a sense of self-worth, but most of it is the lack of security inherent in retiring before medicare eligibility.

Single Payer health care and industry would be more competitive, and a bunch of us old folks would get the hell out of the way. All done quickly.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North

• Fix the tax code

Remarkably, you had me agreeing with everything.

Right up to that last, stupid sentence.

Latest posts