Why are people in the Fastnet race sailing with a dirty bottom?

darth reapius

Super Anarchist
Straya
So I am eating my lunch today, watching a video from the Fastnet race this year, and the sight of one boat got me thinking...

What do you use to anti-foul your boat?

How often do you clean your bottom?

What type of sailing do you do, and how seriously?

How much difference does it actually make?

Dirty Bottom.jpg

Bruh.

Video for reference.

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
Why dirty bottoms in the Fastnet? 'Cos cleaning the bottom means getting wet...... it's the Solent.....and it's friggin freezing Mr Bigglesworth!!!!

The Q

Super Anarchist
It's mid season, many of those boats will have been in the water since March.. Some will be hoping the water passing over the hull will wash off the growth off the antifouling..

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
'Espresso Martini Too' 

- DNF.
Need an "eyeroll" emoji for this comment. Lots of well prepped boats and good sailors DNF'ed this year, I suspect it was nothing to do with the hull finish and everything to do with the ugly conditions.

nogetwe

Some ports in Europe do not allow bottom cleaning for environmental reasons. Paint might get scrubbed off the boat. Hoists have a dedicated cleaning area with a special drain for pressure washing.

jesposito

Super Anarchist
13 hours ago, darth reapius said:

So I am eating my lunch today, watching a video from the Fastnet race this year, and the sight of one boat got me thinking...

What do you use to anti-foul your boat?

How often do you clean your bottom?

What type of sailing do you do, and how seriously?

How much difference does it actually make?

View attachment 460484

Bruh.

Video for reference.

The diver had Covid and was vaccinated

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Can anyone positively confirm that the picture shows a dirty bottom as opposed to a bottom that has been scrubbed and burnished so much that the bottom paint is wearing off?

1sailor

Super Anarchist
nah my bottom sometimes looks dirty in the pics but it’s actually clean —and STAINED— from brown water.  

quick hit with zing or other evil stuff makes it pretty again once outta the water