Why are people in the Fastnet race sailing with a dirty bottom?

quod umbra said:
Ugh. One missed shift? A good deal more than that in most any race.
Beer can series I sail in, owner thinks he only needs to have the bottom cleaned every other week. I have told him repeatedly that I will only sail on weeks he had the bottom cleaned.
But is the bottom cleaning the issue? Yes and no. If you are neglecting the bottom, you are neglecting a whole host of things that are all conspiring to stop you from winning.
maybe you should suit up and clean the bottom from time to time... or buy your own boat? 

LB 15

Cunt
quod umbra said:
 I have told him repeatedly that I will only sail on weeks he had the bottom cleaned.

Hopefully he can get by without a rock star like yourself on the off weeks. With your attitude and towering ego you would be about as welcome on my boat as a turd in the bilge.

JoeO

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Can anyone positively confirm that the picture shows a dirty bottom as opposed to a bottom that has been scrubbed and burnished so much that the bottom paint is wearing off?
Seems to me that there is a green scum line above the bottom paint line, and below the dark stripes on the hull of Aquapax.

The Q

Super Anarchist
People entering the Fastnet don't hire divers before the race?
I've never actually heard of anyone using divers to clean the bottom in the UK but I'm no expert of Ocean going racing.. That's not to say it doesn't happen, just not common here.. Most people just launch for a season.

As Notgetwe says environmental concerns are making life difficult, they were for instance going to stop people self applying Anti foul, but that threat seems to have receded.. Antifoul of course is getting weaker, as they keep banning anything useful..

I have seen people haul out  / crane out before a big race, which can be quite expensive. The absolute top racers yes they will getting bottoms cleaned etc.. But the majority know they have little chance of winning, they are out for the enjoyment of racing and quite often just to be able to say they have done the Fastnet race..

Me, myself I've long since stopped seagoing these days, preferring 1 hour races (4 or 5 per day) and prop up the T bar between, and it's a low fouling area, So there's  just one haul out mid season, just before regatta week done by myself..

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
One of these for less than 100 of your earth pounds might do something:

d5490a09e34d8f15a52cd607c78f908301f87c8d.png

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
During my time in Sydney it was common for a single diver to clean most of the marina every week, but it's not like that back here, as far as I know commercial divers have to be a two up operation, and of course the water is colder, often more occluded, and tidal in the case of most of the marinas around the solent (the original boat in question lives in the water on the Hamble) plus a haul out for that size of boat is £400-500, so sometimes its just priorities if your goal is just to "do a fastnet". 

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
In Brittany many boats will do it at least before big races, there are commercial divers but it is not uncommon for people to DIY it . I can't dive but I don't think that with the right kit (divesuit and a bottle) it is especially long or hard to do as long as you do it regularly.

AnIdiot

Second Drawer
quod umbra said:
... And you all miss the point. Sailboat racing is sport, competition. Why would anyone not do what it takes to be competitive?
Because some of the things you can do to make your boat faster are expensive,  time-consuming and no fun; so maybe some folk prefer not to spend time on them and relax, comfortable in the knowledge that they could win if they wanted to.

All things being equal, how many boats that do not make sure their bottom is clean have even a remote shot at a podium position?
 Could be that they know they don't have a shot,  anyway- older sails,  weaker crew, less competitive handicap or older boat...Why bust your gut to be four [minutes|seconds|hours] back instead of six? Maybe the race is mainly a slot in the calendar to enjoy some structured sailing, get the crew together and have some fun?

Chill, dude.

Reference

I've never actually heard of anyone using divers to clean the bottom in the UK but I'm no expert of Ocean going racing.. That's not to say it doesn't happen, just not common here.. Most people just launch for a season.
Interesting. Here many racing boats are dived every week during the summer. Granted, the water is 80-90, which makes rapid growth unavoidable.

cianclarke

Boston, MA
We've been on a 3-week schedule with my diver all summer (first year running a "programme" if you could call it that), and by the time week 3 rolls around it's really noticeable. If he cleans on race-day, we do distinctly less shit.
New bottom paint went on this time last year, and the diver says in the 12 months, it's completely failed. Granted, we spent the winter in Florida - maybe my expectations of bottom paint are not calibrated to part-of-the-year in warmer waters..  So, what are people using  that works for 12 months 'round?
I'm not buying Black Widow - guess that means @quod umbrawon't be showing up  :huh:

adrianl

with my 3600 a dirty bottom cost 0.5 knot easy, especially in the light when dragging the ass through the water.

Scrambler

Illinois
quod umbra said:
Since you have no idea how much I contribute to the program, in time, effort and monetarily, I'll let that slide.

And you all miss the point. Sailboat racing is sport, competition. Why would anyone not do what it takes to be competitive?
All things being equal, how many boats that do not make sure their bottom is clean have even a remote shot at a podium position?

Half time crew with an attitude?   I don’t need help like that at all.  I don’t care what you offer.  
I’d rather teach a novice that’s enthusiastic rather than entitled. 

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
quod umbra said:
And you all miss the point. Sailboat racing is sport, competition. Why would anyone not do what it takes to be competitive?

Actually, no. For many if not most sailing in the Fastnet it is not sport or competition. It is adventure. I've done it several times, including organising crew so I have some clue what motivates them. 

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
quod umbra said:
How many people have a remote shot at a podium position anyway? If we mock everyone who doesn't have a shot at a podium position we damn soon won't have many competitors or a sport at all and serve us right.

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
So I scanned through the video. I might have missed some, but it seems there is ONE boat with a dirty bottom. So, yeah there is always one owner, right, who for whatever reason did not clean the bottom. It seems hardly a topic I would say.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
How many people have a remote shot at a podium position anyway? If we mock everyone who doesn't have a shot at a podium position we damn soon won't have many competitors or a sport at all and serve us right.
There's a paragraph at the end of one of Lawrie Smith's books in which he says most sailors at a championship are there for a good sail, a good time and possibly a few beers. adding that without such people there would be no championships. "Never forget this" he says. 

Latest posts