Why didn't NZL take a penalty here?

I'm curious what everyone thinks.

The pressure is weak, but better here on the left if the commentators are to be believed.

They have a 1900+ meter lead.

Every tack is a huge risk of falling off the foils.

Why not just sail out to the lay line, take a 100m penalty, and make a single tack to the gate, rather than risk having to make two tacks?

image.png

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist

The pressure is weak, but better here on the left if the commentators are to be believed.

Why not just sail out to the lay line, take a 100m penalty, and make a single tack to the gate, rather than risk having to make two tacks?

View attachment 434651

As I understand it the light gray is a buffer (warning) zone. The Bright Gray (thin strip) is the no go zone.

Blitzkrieg9

View attachment 434651
No need to. They have to make at least one tack regardless.  So just tack inbounds and get as close to the finish line as you can. If you fall off the foils on the next tack, who cares?  You just displacement sail the final 100 meters. 

Dave S

Slightly different situation when you're in the lead and (probably) don't know how the penalty/ies will be implemented - you'd have to be absolutely 100% certain you're not going to be disqualified, and it taints your win for little benefit. By contrast, when Luna Rossa went out of bounds they had nothing to lose, especially as they probably thought it was the only way they were going to get back on the foils.

I doubt this scenario was foreseen when the course/rules were written; if the boats/format stay the same, I'd expect an amendment for the next cycle to discourage (strongly) anyone doing what Luna Rossa did today.

Woolfy

Anarchist
Waiheke Island

View attachment 434651
Sportsmanship? 

What you're suggesting is basically a professional foul.

luminary

Anarchist
plus the penalty is that they have to fall X meters behind LR. If LR is going nowhere, they'd have to tread water till LR got going again.

or go backwards...

silly idea

Last edited by a moderator:
plus the penalty is that they have to fall X meters behind LR. If LR is going nowhere, they'd have to tread water till LR got going again.

or go backwards...

silly idea
My understanding for that particular foul was giving up a specified number of meters, not falling behind. Was I incorrect on that?

As I understand it the light gray is a buffer (warning) zone. The Bright Gray (thin strip) is the no go zone.
Actually the light gray zone is the area in which a boat tacking away from the boundary has the right to do so without regard to position relative to the wind or which tack they are on. As a result you cannot force your opponent to violate the boundary. The bright gray is the actual boundary which if you cross it you are assessed a penalty.

Blitzkrieg9

Actually the light gray zone is the area in which a boat tacking away from the boundary has the right to do so without regard to position relative to the wind or which tack they are on. As a result you cannot force your opponent to violate the boundary. The bright gray is the actual boundary which if you cross it you are assessed a penalty.
I'll add that this is necessary because it is a spectator event.   I think it would be neat to have racing where pushing someone out of bounds is a valid strategy...  but its just too unsafe. The rules must require boundary protection for safety. 

I'll add that this is necessary because it is a spectator event.   I think it would be neat to have racing where pushing someone out of bounds is a valid strategy...  but its just too unsafe. The rules must require boundary protection for safety. 
Do you remember Dennis Connor heading off towards the spectator fleet in 83, although not at 45 mph.