Why is ISAF not cancelling any sanction or participation in Malaysia

ojfd

Anarchist
Several National Authorities including US Sailing, the German national sailing authority, the Dutch national sailing authority and the New Zealand national sailing authority have all made public statements that rejected the actions by Malaysia and forcefully urged World Sailing (ISAF) to take action.

MIchael Hennessy
Michael,So far I've only seen public statements by US and Denmark. Do you have links to others? I could't find anything on

http://www.dsv.org

http://www.watersportverbond.nl

http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz
I saw them yesterday, but will need to look tonight.
Please do. I can't talk to any of our MNA Board members without providing facts. Without them it falls into 'someone said something on some forum' category.

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
Soft cocks...love to see their view if US sailors were on the recieving end of this shit.
As a sailor in the US, I'm pretty sure the reaction would be about the same. US Sailing is beyond worthless when it comes to racing, and sailors rights. The organization is now focused almost entirely on selling their coaching and teaching certifications. Racing is an afterthought.

winchfodder

Super Anarchist
Carolina, USA
Anyone in London on the 8th?

Chance to ask ISAF and Gary Jobson some awkward questions about Malaysia and Oman.

AN AUDIENCE WITH WORLD SAILING

15:45 January 8th 2016

London Boat Show Theatre | London Boat Show | ExCel

You are invited to join World Sailing for a 30 Minute interactive discussion on the direction of the sport. With topics to be covered including:

The Road to Rio

The Emerging Nations Program

The launch of new World Sailing website

World Sailing TV

World Sailing's new in-house production facilities

Speakers to include World Sailing's Vice President Gary Jobson and Chief Marketing Officer Malcolm Page along with special guests including World Sailing TV Series Editorial Director Matthew Sheahan.

bucc5062

Super Anarchist
United States
dorydude said:
Countries like Malaysia and Oman should not be allowed to host international sailing events unless they allow equal status to all athletes. The current series in Malaysia should never have taken place.
Those involved and complicit in allowing the event to go ahead including members of relevant ISAF committee's should be sanctioned and removed from ISAF for bringing it into disrepute.

Any future events in countries that might prevent sailors from competing fairly should be cancelled - such as the next ecent in Oman.

Any international sailing event organiser using the rules of sailing issued by ISAF like America's Cup, VOR. WMRT or Extreme Sailing should think twice about where they go to make money.

Spot on Mr Gladwell. The best racing sailing commentator in the world today (and an ex lawyer like Mr Clean).

Text:

The barring of two world champions has also compromised the status of the competition in that those who compete and stand on the medal podium in Langkawi in the RS:X class will always have a shadow over their success - because they know that the world champions in their event did not compete because they were not allowed because of an immigration decision made on political grounds.

That is a massive compromise of the sport, made even worse by the deceit of the Malaysian Government in first claiming that the visa denial was made on security grounds, and then after the regatta had started saying that their motive was purely political.

On that basis, it is a win-win for the Malaysian politicians. First they have scored a political point by having Israel forced out of the world championship. Second, they have deprived Israel of being able to celebrate success in winning two medals, maybe both of them Gold.

That calls for more than just an adjustment of future process and procedure.

Heads should roll.
The Israelis WITHDREW from the regatta!

They were not banned.

Like I pointed out before. History remembers those who stand up to injustice and fight it, not those who run away and act all butthurt.
I so wanted to igore you, and I am sure you'll come up with some spin back in your favor (you do know you are unliked and disrespected on this thread, right?) but I digress...

You keep making the point that Israel withdrew, they were not banned, yet that is not the root issue being discussed. The root issue is that one country was given requirements for visas that no other country was given. You have acknowledged that in past posts. That one countries visa applications were delayed, while no other country was, delayed to the point that by the time they complied to discriminatory restrictions, not applied to any other country, they would have had but a few days to train; compared to months provided to the other sailors.

Te root issue is not just this specific regatta, it is the systemic actions by the ISAF/WS body that repeatedly ignore its own rules and constitutions when certifying venues for World Sailing Events. This is not about Israeli politics, Malaysian politics, or for that matter, any world government politics. It is about an International Organization that flouts its own rules for whatever reason (greed/power).

People use this argument about "Think about the children" when talk of sanctions or removing titles or some other action is in order, and I do not understand the viewpoint. If, on day one some competitor broke a rule that resulted in expulsion of the event, should the RC jsut ignore it, because "think of the children". Boats break on the start line, things happen and sometimes all that time, money, and effort sinks to the bottom of the sea, but that is how life works sometimes.

The correct reaction from the ISAF/SW officials should have been to cancel the venue, move the venue, or pull out recognition and the MNA hold a expensive, but plain old regatta for those who came.

So to be clear, it is not about banning or withdrawing, is is about working from within the rules set forth, it is about keeping to the highest standard of fairness and equity to help promote the sport. Moving forward the WSO should now be very clear about how to approach future events. The ask one question right up front, will every sailor be able to compete without any restrictions imposed that can affect their ability to sail or enter a country without issues? At the moment it would seem that the next couple of Events may be questionable if the WS truly believed in their charter.

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
Anyone in London on the 8th?

Chance to ask ISAF and Gary Jobson some awkward questions about Malaysia and Oman.

AN AUDIENCE WITH WORLD SAILING

15:45 January 8th 2016

London Boat Show Theatre | London Boat Show | ExCel

You are invited to join World Sailing for a 30 Minute interactive discussion on the direction of the sport. With topics to be covered including:

The Road to Rio

The Emerging Nations Program

The launch of new World Sailing website

World Sailing TV

World Sailing's new in-house production facilities

Speakers to include World Sailing's Vice President Gary Jobson and Chief Marketing Officer Malcolm Page along with special guests including World Sailing TV Series Editorial Director Matthew Sheahan.
Might go along to that.

Glenn McCarthy

Super Anarchist
Elmhurst, IL
Out of all of the people who race sailboats in the world, I wonder how many are aware of what their MNA and World Sailing does? I wonder how many of them know how they got into the positions they hold? I wonder how many of them are aware of the decision making processes that lead to a World Sailing (ISAF) Youth Worlds? I figure it must be closer to 1 out of 1,000 to 1 out of 10,000.

It is hard to see that many really understand who is in charge that leads to these decisions.

After the attempt to get sailing out of Guanabara Bay for the 2016 Olympics, very few still understand that World Sailing (ISAF) controls the decision to use those waters and can de-certify Guanabara Bay and move it to a clean water venue. It is clear to me that World Sailing (ISAF) decision making process whether dealing with the Olympics or dealing with a venue for Worlds Championships is highly flawed. They simply are making bad decisions.

Once the system is broken which it is, wholesale changes need to come to World Sailing. We will continue to see very bad decisions made by the organization.

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT
Several National Authorities including US Sailing, the German national sailing authority, the Dutch national sailing authority and the New Zealand national sailing authority have all made public statements that rejected the actions by Malaysia and forcefully urged World Sailing (ISAF) to take action.

MIchael Hennessy
Michael,So far I've only seen public statements by US and Denmark. Do you have links to others? I could't find anything on

Please do. I can't talk to any of our MNA Board members without providing facts. Without them it falls into 'someone said something on some forum' category.
Found the German Statement at www.webandsail.de and searched in their news section. It's the fifth article down, and in German. It's something of a recap that touches on Gladwell ' article, the Danish federation announcement, the US Sailing announcement and then at the bottom references a statement on December 28 by Andreas Lochbrunner as President of DSV. I can't immediately find the original publication source or 8f it just came out by press release.

Spain still occupies Moroccan land. Don't let their sailors compete.

Britain still occupies Spanish land. Don't let their sailors compete.

America still occupies a whole shitload of land. Don't let their sailors compete.

Russia executes journalists and invaded, then annexed, an entire peninsula. Don't let their sailors compete.

Ukraine did some sketchy shit to journalist and opposition politicians. Human rights violations? Don't let their sailors compete.

Britain fucked up half the world. Don't let their sailors compete.

America fucked up the other half. Don't let their sailors compete.

France fucked up North Africa. Don't let their sailors compete.

60 countries are part of a campaign that's bombing civilians in Iraq. Don't let their sailors compete.

Turkey...Holland...Sweden...Italy...Angola...Nigeria...Japan...China...Thailand...

If you are a creature of logic, it's pretty fucking obvious why you can't allow politics into international sport.
Where does America 'occupy'? Other than good holiday locations?

'Occupy' in geo-political terms means an uninvited visitor overstaying their welcome and controlling the local government.

Not like 'Occupy Wallstreet' which means sitting on the sidewalk, ordering Chinese take out, and beating a drum 24 hours a day

waving a pink flag and claiming international journalism rights.

Where is this whole shitload of land you speak of?
There's probably a few Native Americans on the mainland that would share their viewpoint.
Fucking savages were eating with their hands and freezing to death. Buffalo have made a comeback. They're not complaining.

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT

MIchael Hennessy

And Yachting New Zealand's statement came in the form of an interview with David Ambercrombie, Yachting NZ chief executive, shown on tvnz on December 30. You can search on Yachting New Zealand Malaysia tvnz and the link comes up.

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT

MIchael Hennessy

Found the German Statement at www.webandsail.de and searched in their news section. It's the fifth article down, and in German. It's something of a recap that touches on Gladwell ' article, the Danish federation announcement, the US Sailing announcement and then at the bottom references a statement on December 28 by Andreas Lochbrunner as President of DSV. I can't immediately find the original publication source or 8f it just came out by press release.
Found it. It is a statement published on www.bayrensail.de/index.php?id=983

It's both a recap of German participants and the statement at the bottom of the piece. In German, of course.

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT

MIchael Hennessy

And it looks like I screwed up with the Dutch, since I can find no trace of the statement. I was sure that I had read something, but perhaps I confused it with the Danish statement.

On the upside, there is a decent statement by the Brits now. The French statement is pathetic.

ojfd

Anarchist
Found it. It is a statement published on www.bayrensail.de/index.php?id=983

It's both a recap of German participants and the statement at the bottom of the piece. In German, of course.
Thanks. It's strange that statement is on Bavarian (read - regional) site but there's nothing on official German MNA site. Statement itself is weak, btw.

NZ? It's just Abercrombie's opinion on NZTV, still nothing official on www.yachtingnz.org.nz

Are they all playing low key?

Here's nice detective work by Sail World on how it happened that Malaysia got chosen:

http://www.sail-world.com/ISAF-knew-of-Youth-World-champions--exclusion-issue-from-outset/141300

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasm

Super Anarchist
Ah, the German Sailing Association. The statement can not be found on the official site.

Looks like it's from December 28th 2015. It can be found in exactly two places:

In original form(?) on the Bavarian chapter site as an footnote / extension on what is otherwise a 100% copy paste of a German Sailing Association article.

In a slightly edited version as an update of an article from the 27th on yacht.de about Israel withdrawing from the event. - So probably a reaction to that.

(and in 1 news aggregator)
Its a two part statement, the fist part is a recap of the situation they respond to, the second boils down to:
The German Sailing Association expects World Sailing to investigate the incident in a timely fashion and draw corresponding conclusions if the allegations are true. Intolerance has no place in sports.

Oh, the president quoted in the statement comes from Bavaria. Make of that what you want. I think #Neuland. (Explaination for non German speakers)