why?

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
I am not casting any doubt to the veracity of this woman’s claims but before the virtual Lynch mob gets into gear maybe take a few steps back and think of the Duke fiasco:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case
This is about the dumbest thing you could have posted.  False allegations are made all the time, but look at the circumstances of those allegations.   There's zero parallels between the Duke case and this one.

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
If ICSA had any balls, and they clearly do not, they should cancel all college sailing until the rapists plead out.  There is one coach who damn well knows his boys did this.  Put some pressure on the whole college sailing ecosystem and watch how fast evidence comes in. 

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
“But we must protect the institution of collegiate sailing, just a few bad apples it will pass.”

Which of course misses the point that the institution is bad and should  not be protected.

Seems to be a common problem these days.

No doubt people will be reaching the sailor protection policies and then like but again having a policy and acting responsibly are not the same thing.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
Being held upside down under water sounds horrific, but is there any account of this, like even the when & where, besides the poetic sing-song? A Google search of her name reveals only Rogers & Wiliams College.

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois
I hope SA runs this story on the from page for a long time. The one thing these rapists want is for the story to get buried along with a lot of other stuff. 

Ed - keep on posting about this.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
This is about the dumbest thing you could have posted.  False allegations are made all the time, but look at the circumstances of those allegations.   There's zero parallels between the Duke case and this one.
Where did you get you info about this case? Can't find anything

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
I think the schools that participated in this regatta would have names and pics of all sailors on their team’s websites. Best to let the investigators conduct some interviews and gather the information they need. 

I have something similar that happened to a couple of family members kids and discovered after one of them came forward to protect the other one. The evidence has been gathered and all we can do is wait for the perp to get the knock on door from the sheriff’s officers after the prosecutor’s office makes sure there is no escape from justice by a bungled case.

I opted away from anger early to anticipation for justice and the family will survive. 

Tcatman

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
“But we must protect the institution of collegiate sailing, just a few bad apples it will pass.”

Which of course misses the point that the institution is bad and should  not be protected.

Seems to be a common problem these days.

No doubt people will be reaching the sailor protection policies and then like but again having a policy and acting responsibly are not the same thing.
The answer to WHY can be found in this piece... its wired into our culture and expectations in ways we don't even recognize even when we look for it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/08/29/how-college-guys-unwittingly-commit-sexual-assault/

How many of us post college men who race has not told or embellished a favorite regatta debauch story.... because that was the culture....   The ICSA powers that be have met the enemy ... and as Pogo noted.... its them/us!

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
I hope SA runs this story on the from page for a long time. The one thing these rapists want is for the story to get buried along with a lot of other stuff. 

Ed - keep on posting about this.
Bro, we aren't going anywhere with this until all is exposed.

SEC16518

This day and age there has to be some sort of video either from a surveillance camera or cell phone.....I can't see how something this violent has gone unnoticed or reported.

Tomfl

No one has accused me of being a lawyer since I retired years ago and with COVID-19 I am afraid to sleep in a Holiday Inn; but lots of peeps think I am a devil's advocate.  I have to point out most of what I have seen so far does not come close to anything that would stand up in court.  While we sorta know when this was suppose to have happened from what I have seen so far no DA/SA would attempt to even start an investigation.  While I don't know for sure I tend to think something did happen to Rachel.  Problem is that there is no mention of a police report, rape kit test, medical exam for injuries, vids, pix, or any corroborating evidence or testimony.  Not to mention alcohol seems to be involved by all parties.  It has been almost three months since it was supposed to have happened so any vids from the bar or where ever are probably lost.

I do understand it is an embarrassing for a female to come forward after an incident like this but in the eyes of the law the quicker it is done the better.  The way to stop this sorta thing is bring the bad guys to justice in a court of law.  Whining about it on the internet does not really do anything but let peeps vent.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
No one has accused me of being a lawyer since I retired years ago and with COVID-19 I am afraid to sleep in a Holiday Inn; but lots of peeps think I am a devil's advocate.  I have to point out most of what I have seen so far does not come close to anything that would stand up in court.  While we sorta know when this was suppose to have happened from what I have seen so far no DA/SA would attempt to even start an investigation.  While I don't know for sure I tend to think something did happen to Rachel.  Problem is that there is no mention of a police report, rape kit test, medical exam for injuries, vids, pix, or any corroborating evidence or testimony.  Not to mention alcohol seems to be involved by all parties.  It has been almost three months since it was supposed to have happened so any vids from the bar or where ever are probably lost.

I do understand it is an embarrassing for a female to come forward after an incident like this but in the eyes of the law the quicker it is done the better.  The way to stop this sorta thing is bring the bad guys to justice in a court of law.  Whining about it on the internet does not really do anything but let peeps vent.
This deserves a giant fuck you. Did you ever considered that maybe she’s got legal advice that said this is all you can say right now?

Also, it’s not “embarrassing” to admit you’ve been raped. It’s an array of emotions you seem unable to comprehend. Most lawyers I know have no soul, the only thing they know is billable hours. You fit the type.

The truth will come out.    It may take time as this may be an extensive investigation and other victims of similar crimes may come forth.  

The investigation will be snowballing, not going away.   

Why?  College kids - the first suspect to be put on the spot will throw everyone under the bus.  I have seen it 1000 times before over really small shit.   This is LI shit.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA

Just shut up. no one said it rises to that level... yet. And no, you have no idea how hard it is for a victim of sexual abuse to come forward, you white privileged male, ESPECIALLY since the advent of the Internet and social media. If you are accusing her of "whining" about it on the Internet, then you really didn't pay attention AND  you are part of the problem.

SEC16518

That list is irrelevant.... don't lump the good with the bad.  Especially when a lot them represent our service academies.