why?

jvanstratt

As the father of a daughter who is currently sailing very competitively in high school and looking to sail on the collegiate level this scares the shit out of me. I am so proud of Rachel for telling her story. I hope these criminals are brought to justice and she can have some closure. I've met some of the best people I could ever hope to around the sail racing community. This team needs to be shut down. Obviously the coach(s) need to be fired and a reset button needs to be pushed. Thanks Ed for making this known and publicizing it. Hopefully pressure is building and law enforcement gets involved. Please keep us posted.   . 

No one has accused me of being a lawyer since I retired years ago and with COVID-19 I am afraid to sleep in a Holiday Inn; but lots of peeps think I am a devil's advocate.  I have to point out most of what I have seen so far does not come close to anything that would stand up in court.  While we sorta know when this was suppose to have happened from what I have seen so far no DA/SA would attempt to even start an investigation.  While I don't know for sure I tend to think something did happen to Rachel.  Problem is that there is no mention of a police report, rape kit test, medical exam for injuries, vids, pix, or any corroborating evidence or testimony.  Not to mention alcohol seems to be involved by all parties.  It has been almost three months since it was supposed to have happened so any vids from the bar or where ever are probably lost.

I do understand it is an embarrassing for a female to come forward after an incident like this but in the eyes of the law the quicker it is done the better.  The way to stop this sorta thing is bring the bad guys to justice in a court of law.  Whining about it on the internet does not really do anything but let peeps vent.
Wow you're quite the douchebag. This woman did something unbelievably brave, yet you think she should mention a freaking rape kit to be taken seriously????? LOSER!

Scot, please ban this jerk.

And PeterHuston, right on. Shut it down and shut the doors. Someone will speak.

bowman81

Super Anarchist
Australia
I tried to read the article to be better informed. But I sent to Instagram. I do not have Instagram nor do I want to sign up for it.  Is there another link to the story?
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I hope I got them all and they post in the right order.

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
As the father of a daughter who is currently sailing very competitively in high school and looking to sail on the collegiate level this scares the shit out of me. I am so proud of Rachel for telling her story. I hope these criminals are brought to justice and she can have some closure. I've met some of the best people I could ever hope to around the sail racing community. This team needs to be shut down. Obviously the coach(s) need to be fired and a reset button needs to be pushed. Thanks Ed for making this known and publicizing it. Hopefully pressure is building and law enforcement gets involved. Please keep us posted.   . 
man, i feel for you. glad i had boys. reached out to icsa, us sailing and of course rachel. will keep this ball in play.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
USA
These are the teams that were at the event (other than this brave survivor's team):

Boston College

Brown University

College of Charletson

George Washington University

Georgetown University

Hobart & William Smith Colleges

Jacksonville University

Kings Point

North Carolina State

Saint Mary's College

Stanford University

Tulane University

University of California Santa Barbara

University of Oregon

University of Rhode Island

US Coast Guard Academy

US Naval Academy

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The college and team should be named & shamed.

She has no legal recourse in our system since it's her word against all of them which only leaves publicity.

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
It’s out there tough guy.  
Happy Sailing!

Will Museler 
I don't scour this forum looking for real names of people who post with a screen name.

By bringing up the Duke lacrosse case you instantly put yourself in the position of defending the accused, and suggest this is a false allegation.

False allegations and prosecutorial misconduct happen, but the overwhelming circumstance is that rapist get away with it, and your comment only adds hurt to an unbearable situation for Rachel, her family and close friends.  Rapist getting away with it was the ENTIRE point of Rachel's post.

And thanks for calling me tough guy.  Maybe I'm tougher than you know, for reasons you seem incapable of understanding.

Perhaps you confuse tough with resolve to help. 

Wess

Super Anarchist
The college and team should be named & shamed.

She has no legal recourse in our system since it's her word against all of them which only leaves publicity.
But she does or at least did. And it’s there that we have somehow failed as a society. The wife and I raised daughters. One of them went into a highly male dominated field filled with type As. Women are still making firsts in some of the area communities. And as good as the institution and broader organization she joined is, bad things have and do happen. What we stressed to her was if anything bad did happen it was important to report it to authorities. Really proud of the kid because she had to deal with lots of shit she wouldn’t have had to if she was a he. And she handled it well. 

What makes me sad about this instance is that if she had reported it the people guilty of it absolutely would be caught and punished. Why she didn’t feel comfortable to report is where we all have failed individually and collectively as a society. 

As a father of a daughter I just don’t have the words. 

My daughter just sent off her first round of introduction e-mails to most of these schools, hoping to sail in college.  I look forward to learning which school she will not be attending.

sail611

This is about the dumbest thing you could have posted.  False allegations are made all the time, but look at the circumstances of those allegations.   There's zero parallels between the Duke case and this one.
While false allegations are made, I think to say that it happens all the time is a bit of a stretch.

Studies have shown on the low end its 2% and on the high end around 10%. 

https://cdn.atixa.org/website-media/atixa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/12193336/Lisak-False-Allegations-16-VAW-1318-2010.pdf  shows false allegations to be 5.9%

The reality is sexual assault is far more likely to go unreported.

And I can tell from reading the thread that you (Peter) are an advocate, so not trying to bust your balls here.  But I do think the national narrative needs to change from "false allegations happen frequently" to "false allegations are really rare, we should take this seriously and investigate it...if it turns out to be false, we got to practice our detective skills."

I wish the best for the victim and do hope that law enforcement is taking her seriously and doing their job.  

Side note, I've been listening to far too many true crime podcasts lately, and in all of the unsolved cases they have covered, one thing always stands out...the complete and utter failure of LE to seriously and properly investigate.  I get it that the LE community is strained, and that crimes are being committed at a far greater rate than LE can solve them, but still....is it too much to ask that those tasked with investigating crimes do their jobs?

Okay, rant over.

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist
That list is irrelevant.... don't lump the good with the bad.  Especially when a lot them represent our service academies. 
The list is not irrelevant because the perps and people that know about this are on this list.

The part about repping the academies does not mean a thing I have two daughters and each went to a service academy and the folks at the academies are just as likely as the folks not representing them to be guilty of this. Making it into an academy does not mean you are above reproach. Additionally based on the list of schools odds are greater that the perps came from one of the academies than one of the other schools. Not a reflection on the academies just pure math.  3 out of 17 vs. 1 out of 17

Trust me on this there is plenty to admire about the academy kids but they have the same issues as the rest of the world too.