why?

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
The list is not irrelevant because the perps and people that know about this are on this list.

The part about repping the academies does not mean a thing I have two daughters and each went to a service academy and the folks at the academies are just as likely as the folks not representing them to be guilty of this. Making it into an academy does not mean you are above reproach. Additionally based on the list of schools odds are greater that the perps came from one of the academies than one of the other schools. Not a reflection on the academies just pure math.  3 out of 17 vs. 1 out of 17

Trust me on this there is plenty to admire about the academy kids but they have the same issues as the rest of the world too.
Anyone who has lived in Annapolis for long knows that the Academies can produce the same shitheads as any other college with the added complication of the female having to admit to an honor violation herself in order to describe what happened and thus probably be punished herself even if the accused is not.

Disco Stu

Posted on Facebook last night.

240867688_10158606156008871_1490304739565423716_n.png

Reference

Cristoforo said:
Service academy students cant be rapists? Where have you been?  
For fucks sake. Stop with the lynch mob already.   

While this is undeniably a shocking incident, it's exceedingly irresponsible and counterproductive to blame all of hundreds of participants. There's a reason the criminal justice system exists and we don't rely on anonymous online users to play detective. 

(Plus, if you want be a detective, look at the date of this regatta. Many of the academy sailors were in Newport, having just finished the A2N race.)

bourbon on the bow

Cristoforo said:
Yeah this was my first thought as well, the military, let alone the academies are absolutely NOTORIOUS for not just their abuse of women but their efforts to cover it up, both at a student body and an institutional (and hence, governmental) level. 

Last edited by a moderator:

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
I don't scour this forum looking for real names of people who post with a screen name.

By bringing up the Duke lacrosse case you instantly put yourself in the position of defending the accused, and suggest this is a false allegation.

False allegations and prosecutorial misconduct happen, but the overwhelming circumstance is that rapist get away with it, and your comment only adds hurt to an unbearable situation for Rachel, her family and close friends.  Rapist getting away with it was the ENTIRE point of Rachel's post.

And thanks for calling me tough guy.  Maybe I'm tougher than you know, for reasons you seem incapable of understanding.

Perhaps you confuse tough with resolve to help. 
Perhaps reading comprehension is not your strong point or maybe your didn't read the first line of my post where I specifically said I was not casting doubt on the veracity of her claims.  My point was not to get out the pitch forks and railroad anyone until the facts come out.  Reputations are ruined easily in this information age by uninformed experts like your self.

Will Museler (in case you forgot and did not have the time to scroll up for my name)

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
My point was not to get out the pitch forks and railroad anyone until the facts come out.  Reputations are ruined easily in this information age
Have to say that I agree with this. All of us are angry and outraged because we know that this kind of behavior edit: crime does happen. As parents of daughters, we want to do whatever we can to make it stop!  But throwing accusations around and taking potshots at each other at this point is pointless and divisive. Yes it's an emotionally disturbing subject, but if we who are now of 'the older generation' can't keep our cool and be halfway civil to each other, then who can? 

SEC16518

Cristoforo said:
Never said or implied that.  Just saying they are expected to conduct themselves at a higher level than most college kids.  They are being trained to lead others, as well as college academics.  

The main point is that if I was not involved and was on a list posted in an internet forum like this, I would be pissed.

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
On thing for sure is the sailing community is waaay to small for something like this to happen and the guilty parties just slip away.

However, the sailing community tends to attract some rich assholes so expect some high dollar lawyers to be getting paid from the opti moms protecting their baby boys who can do no wrong.....

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
While false allegations are made, I think to say that it happens all the time is a bit of a stretch.

Studies have shown on the low end its 2% and on the high end around 10%. 

https://cdn.atixa.org/website-media/atixa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/12193336/Lisak-False-Allegations-16-VAW-1318-2010.pdf  shows false allegations to be 5.9%

The reality is sexual assault is far more likely to go unreported.

And I can tell from reading the thread that you (Peter) are an advocate, so not trying to bust your balls here.  But I do think the national narrative needs to change from "false allegations happen frequently" to "false allegations are really rare, we should take this seriously and investigate it...if it turns out to be false, we got to practice our detective skills."

I wish the best for the victim and do hope that law enforcement is taking her seriously and doing their job.  

Side note, I've been listening to far too many true crime podcasts lately, and in all of the unsolved cases they have covered, one thing always stands out...the complete and utter failure of LE to seriously and properly investigate.  I get it that the LE community is strained, and that crimes are being committed at a far greater rate than LE can solve them, but still....is it too much to ask that those tasked with investigating crimes do their jobs?

Okay, rant over.
Thanks for the thoughtful comments.

You are correct, I should have used words more specific than "happens all the time".  Perhaps instead I should have said "all too often" or something similar.

You are also correct, I am an advocate.

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist
Never said or implied that.  Just saying they are expected to conduct themselves at a higher level than most college kids.  They are being trained to lead others, as well as college academics.  

The main point is that if I was not involved and was on a list posted in an internet forum like this, I would be pissed.
Some people on the list know what happened and others know that it happened, you don't get removed from your friends/teammates without someone being aware you are gone. some people on that list are guilty, some people on that list know what happened and all of those people are part of this not being resolved appropriately. if all they have to suffer is being on a list with the guilty and covering individuals then their burden is pretty light. Being on an internet list is not what they should be pissed about, they should be pissed that one of their friends and competitors was assaulted. 

Incase you forget they choose to be trained to lead others as well as college academics, they chose to conduct themselves at a higher level and just for clarity it's really not a higher level in this case as all college kids are expected to not sexually assault their peers.

Also to make sure I don't get called out for being behind a screen name, Michael Carpenter, parent of Navy Lt. USNA '13 and Air Force Capt. USAFA '15 

shrimp

Now back to the crime........ SAD, and SICK.

Looking beyond the ICSA,..... where is the Naval Acedemy, City of Annapolis, in this mess?

Where did the crime take place?  Where the teams boarding on USNA grounds, did this crime take place on this Federal property?

Some suggest, arbitrarily, the perp's are male.  Don't discount the fact female could have been involved.

High probability was male perps., so where was their female team mates?, not wanting to hang out with the pigs.

Drinking involved,......... again.  Sadly this doesn't help the case.  Annapolis being a bubble, doesn't help either....... "bury it quick"

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist
Now back to the crime........ SAD, and SICK.

Looking beyond the ICSA,..... where is the Naval Acedemy, City of Annapolis, in this mess?

Where did the crime take place?  Where the teams boarding on USNA grounds, did this crime take place on this Federal property? 99% no on the boarding at the academy, as far as the crime no idea but the fact that she got separated at a bar probably not on federal property

Some suggest, arbitrarily, the perp's are male.  Don't discount the fact female could have been involved.

High probability was male perps., so where was their female team mates?, not wanting to hang out with the pigs.

Drinking involved,......... again.  Sadly this doesn't help the case.  Annapolis being a bubble, doesn't help either....... "bury it quick"
just my two cents

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
On thing for sure is the sailing community is waaay to small for something like this to happen and the guilty parties just slip away.

However, the sailing community tends to attract some rich assholes so expect some high dollar lawyers to be getting paid from the opti moms protecting their baby boys who can do no wrong.....
Not really.  I was made aware of an unreported case of sexual assault in our small sailing community here on Vancouver Island.  The victim made a conscious decision not to report it.  I respected her decision and her request that I not report it either.  It is way more common than you think.

AHoleMel

To Find the Perps..

a) I'm sure she had a Rape Kit Performed.

b) To Keep ones eligibility to compete in any other sanctioned event. Every Male participant of that weekend event. provide a mouth swab

To those who participate in this. says a lot about you, that you have no game and that you need to resort to ambushing someone out for an evening of fun with who she thought were her "Comrades" . 

Karma, It's just around the next corner. 

For you young ladies out there..  Never, EVER LEAVE ANYONE BEHIND. You go out with them.. You come back with them.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
USA
As someone who has represented college students who were assaulted at a sorority / fraternity event, one thing that is important to remember is that is these perpetrators almost NEVER stop at one victim.  They likely have done this before, and will almost certainly try to do this again.

I hope the victim has the courage to name names publicly.  It might just prevent this from happening again.

Any word on what team the attackers are from?

Regards,

M

maxstaylock

Anarchist
Gosh, this is a horrific thing to happen to anyone.  Thoughts and prayers.  And well done for coming forwards and standing up.  I could not imagine.  I guess there is no closure, ever, for the subject of such a horrific attack, regardless of any punishments handed down to the perpetrators, the clock cannot be turned back.

I hope there is an eternity of pain and guilt for anyone who could do such a thing.  I hope at least one of them has a tiny shred of decency left, and will not leave the girl to face the legal system alone.  Don't these guys have mothers and sisters?  

When I see crimes like this, my level of disgust never diminishes.

Please keep in mind that this is a serious crime - it may also be other things as well, but it is a serious crime.

Please do your part if you can, because every bit of evidence that is available could help authorities.   

Crimes like these are committed by individuals who must be separated from society for the safety of others.   

Rationalizing about decency is a waste of time - they don't see the world as you do.

Nothing can change the facts, but we must do what we can to protect others.