Will a Volvo 65 ever beat the 24 hours speed monohull record?

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Not my own idea (it's from sail world)

http://www.sail-world.com/Europe/Volvo-Ocean-Race:-Will-a-Volvo-65-beat-the-24-hour-monohull-r30 times 24 = 960 miles in 24 hours.

According to the article 30 knots is expected as the maximum downwind speed, when sailing on flat water in 30 knots of wind.

Record now is 2008 "Ericsson 4" 70ft, Torben Grael BRA, 596.6nm, 24.85kts. According to Sail speed records:

http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/index.php/24-hour-distance

View attachment 204529

In the 2011/2012 edition there were no speedrecords for 24 hours run.

They had something called the IWCS Schafthausen speedrecord of that edition only.

Standings:

CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand: 565.824 nautical miles

Telefónica: 564.766

Groupama: 561.912

PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG 558.848

Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing: 551.867

Team Sanya: 523.464

As we all know Groupama won, so a speedrecord doesn't predict winning the race.

RIGO

Anyone reckon some of the reliability changes in the 65 will encourage them to be pushed harder?

Also, one of the major changes - the angle of the canting keel pivot - will produce lift which will increase sustained surfing speeds....

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Anyone reckon some of the reliability changes in the 65 will encourage them to be pushed harder?

Also, one of the major changes - the angle of the canting keel pivot - will produce lift which will increase sustained surfing speeds....

...hopefully the heavier build will allow them to push harder without consequence.

...I don't 'buy' the 'canting keel arm produces lift' thingy,,,,if it was on lee side you'd have righting moment AND lift,,,

.............not so good if it's to windward,no? :mellow:

CrushDigital

Super Anarchist
New York, NY

...hopefully the heavier build will allow them to push harder without consequence.

...I don't 'buy' the 'canting keel arm produces lift' thingy,,,,if it was on lee side you'd have righting moment AND lift,,,

Sure it's out to windward but it's about where the foil interfaces with the boat that determines what the impact of the lift is on the hull. Being at the keel pivot point, which I assume is pretty damn close to the CG, it should provide a decent benefit.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast

Sure it's out to windward but it's about where the foil interfaces with the boat that determines what the impact of the lift is on the hull. Being at the keel pivot point, which I assume is pretty damn close to the CG, it should provide a decent benefit.

...I'm not too convinced with descriptions so far**.......does anyone have a linky to the description,,,diagrams??

.......**...NTIM.....not that it matters!

Potter

Super Anarchist
I am not sure that they really mean lift. However swinging the keel on an angled pivot will move the Longitudinal Centre of Gravity aft, thereby 'lifting' the bow more easily downwind.

Airwick

Victoria, BC
2 things:

- Generating lift from the canted keel seems like an odd idea as it will decrease the righting moment. I can see how you would want to do that downwind when you don't need the full RM but that would require adjusting the AOA of the canted keel between upwind/reaching and downwind, which sounds like adding complexity in the already tricky keel/hull joint area, which is hardly a good idea for the mission objective...

- Also, 30x24 = 960, this doesn't agree with the math I was taught...

forss

Anarchist
About keel:

Another fertile area has to do with the canting keel-pin axis. This is an area of substantial increased performance relative to the VO70. With the 70, the keel pin axis was constrained to lie on the water plane and the center plane. What we have now on the VO65 is an inclined keel pin, angles at 5 degrees (see diagram on p. 60), so when the keel fin is canted it’s actually providing lift for the boat. We have a little bit of a balancing act here because the keel fin is lifting the whole boat out of the water, which reduces drag, but it also reduces the boat’s stability. The teams will have to re-learn their daggerboard settings and their keel use to find the best balance now that this area works so differently.
http://www.sailingworld.com/sailboats/design-volvo-ocean-race-playing-power

volvo-keel-pin-incline.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
btw.. that's a really shitty diagram. Why aren't the leading edges of the keel and bulb tilted up?

The tilt will make some interesting dynamics in a fast moving boat if the hydraulics let go.

Last edited by a moderator:

edusail

Keel pin does create lift at high speeds but also reduces righting moment so it's not all perfect. And the answer to the question about beating V-70 24 hour run is "not a chance in hell". These new boats may look cool but they are heavy and short and tippy by comparison to the 70's.

left hook

Super Anarchist
which bit do you doubt LH?

VO70's were hitting that speed all the time. Even the old 60's hit it
Doubt that they'll only go 30 as max. They were slowing the 70s down at 40 (somewhere Kenny was quoted as saying you'd get kicked off the helm if you broke 40 too much) due to structural concerns when the boats could clearly go faster. If the 65s are built better and don't submarine as much then maybe they can push harder longer and go faster.

Latest posts