Will Biden debate Trump?

Dog

Super Anarchist
Tom Freidman says Biden should not debate unless Trump releases his taxes and agrees to a “fact” check panel at the debate. Imposing conditions that he knows will not be agreed to is tantamount to saying Biden should not debate Trump. Tucker Carlson says Biden will not debate because his handlers know he can't.

I'm still of the opinion that Biden will debate although Freidman's conditions do seem to be designed to provide a pretext Biden can use to back out.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I like Friedman's idea as Biden will come across as frail under the best of circumstances.  

Failing that, if I'm Biden, I end each response with "I was never a friend of Jeffrey Epstein."  Trump's head will explode.  

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Friedman’s idea is stupid. Let’s see them side by side to see who is fit for the job. Biden has faced a field of good debaters throughout the primary season, and is more than capable of debating the bullshitter in chief. We got in the position we are in by not confronting bullshitters head on. We cannot continue that tragic mistake. 

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
Biden would kill Trump in a debate. At this stage Trump is virtually incapable of sustained coherent thought. Donald's brain just does not work quickly enough these days to be an effective debater. Trump's people are trying to get the idea out there that Biden is losing it intellectually. Only problem is that when you actually hear him talk he is fine and even a little folksy and comes across as a decent guy. Unlike Clinton he understands how Trump's 'mind' operates and can use that knowledge effectively. He will be prepared with an enormous number of Trump gaffes to attack. The better question to ask is whether Trump wants to debate Biden. Trump's advisors would want to keep him as far away from the debate stage as possible but Trump's ego would not allow this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
The real question is will Trump show up?  Losing badly in the court of public opinion and appearing obese, sweaty, glassy eyed and slurring his words juxtaposed against Biden‘s svelte figure and calm demeanor is probably something Trump wants no part of.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
The real question is will Trump show up?  Losing badly in the court of public opinion and appearing obese, sweaty, glassy eyed and slurring his words juxtaposed against Biden‘s svelte figure and calm demeanor is probably something Trump wants no part of.
Trump will not go gently into that good night and the debates remain the only possible chance of catching Biden.  Two things are certain, COVID-19 will still be a big part of our culture in November and the economy will be in the shitter.  How is Trump going to convince undecideds to vote for him.  I'm not undecided, but I'm guessing most couldn't give a shit about civil war statues.  Biden just has to be prepared for some crazy off the wall shit.  

Dog

Super Anarchist
Biden would kill Trump in a debate. At this stage Trump is virtually incapable of sustained coherent thought. Donald's brain just does not work quickly enough these days to be an effective debater. Trump's people are trying to get the idea out there that Biden is losing it intellectually. Only problem is that when you actually hear him talk he is fine and even a little folksy and comes across as a decent guy. Unlike Clinton he understands how Trump's 'mind' operates and can use that knowledge effectively. He will be prepared with an enormous number of Trump gaffes to attack. The better question to ask is whether Trump wants to debate Biden. Trump's advisors would want to keep him as far away from the debate stage as possible but Trump's ego would not allow this.
I agree that Biden's cognitive decline has been overstated by his critics and would likely perform better than expected.  Typically the candidate leading in the polls wants to avoid as much as possible anything that can change the status quo like debates while the trailing candidate wants to introduce them. I don't think it's crazy to believe that Biden might try to avoid debates entirely.

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
I don't agree with you but I really hope you are correct.  Trump has an absolute disregard for the truth and is not inhibited by facts in what he will spout out  His method of delivery dominates the stage.  Unless the moderators fact check him in real time, which is highly unlikely, he could make Biden look very foolish.  His supporters love the crap that comes out of his mouth.  Not many will bother to look at the follow up fact check.  Biden has everything to lose if he agrees to what will probably be Trump's terms.  Biden also loses if he doesn't agree to debates.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Tom Freidman says Biden should not debate unless Trump releases his taxes and agrees to a “fact” check panel at the debate. Imposing conditions that he knows will not be agreed to is tantamount to saying Biden should not debate Trump. Tucker Carlson says Biden will not debate because his handlers know he can't.

I'm still of the opinion that Biden will debate although Freidman's conditions do seem to be designed to provide a pretext Biden can use to back out.
I agree with Freidman. What is the point of debating a liar? Is there someone on the fence who would change their vote based on the debate?

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
I agree that Biden's cognitive decline has been overstated by his critics and would likely perform better than expected.  Typically the candidate leading in the polls wants to avoid as much as possible anything that can change the status quo like debates while the trailing candidate wants to introduce them. I don't think it's crazy to believe that Biden might try to avoid debates entirely.
Biden has no choice but to debate. If he did not he would open himself up to charges of being afraid, being incapable of debating, etc. Also I think Joe would really love to kick some Trumpian ass in person (an admittedly large target). Clinton did not know how to debate a pompous, lying bully, I think Biden does.

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Biden has no choice but to debate. If he did not he would open himself up to charges of being afraid, being incapable of debating, etc. Also I think Joe would really love to kick some Trumpian ass in person (an admittedly large target). Clinton did not know how to debate a pompous, lying bully, I think Biden does.
The key is to brutally mock him in every answer.  He should study Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
"Putin carries him around like a puppy in one of those little puppy cages" .... I think Biden will do fine and knows how to push Trump's buttons and thus control the debate. At the same time, I don't think Biden has to debate Trump. There will be nothing substantive covered in a debate, it will simply see who is more effective at pushing buttons, and who is more effective at not overreacting to the button pushing. My bet on both counts is the scrappy kid from Scranton who has had a shit ton of misfortune thrown at him and always managed to overcome it. Trump can not handle someone attacking him, particularly after the last 3.5 years. He expects everyone to bow down to him, and when they don't he loses his shit. Trump can't shut down the debate when he does not like a question or being confronted, like he does with the press conferences. He will not be in control of anything, and I suspect will react very badly. 

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
It would certainly reveal quickly just how senile Biden is (or isn't).

IMHO he has nothing to gain. Attempting to debate Trump is like "debating" a shit-flinging mechanical jerk-off monkey painted orange.

What is Biden going to do? Calmly present facts? That won't convince anybody of anything. Press Trump's buttons and make him melt down on camera? That would be quality entertainment but it does a couple of bad things, including reducing what little remains of the stature of the office of the Presidency. The Trumpalos will hail Trump's insane shit-flinging as a great victory, no matter what. The rest of us already know what we need to do.

- DSK

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
BravoBravo said:
Why is Biden the best candidate the DNC can offer to the country?.. supposed to be the party of higher educated  base and enlightenment 
Why is Trump the best candidate the GOP can offer the country.

SAD!

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
BravoBravo said:
Before the China Virus Trump was doing an excellent job rebuilding after 8 years of the Obama malaise 
Yup, hand out a Trillion in tax cuts and you bet, the economy will do pretty well.  He's a moron that has taken us from World Leader to just a World Power.  He is laughed at uniformly around the globe.  We (US) are the butt of jokes because of that shithead.

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
Yup, hand out a Trillion in tax cuts and you bet, the economy will do pretty well.  He's a moron that has taken us from World Leader to just a World Power.  He is laughed at uniformly around the globe.  We (US) are the butt of jokes because of that shithead.
It is as if we hired someone to paint a house, they got it painted but then went over budget by 500% and then set the house on fire before the paint dried. Still, we are supposed to give credit for the house being painted at one time.... just before it burnt down. 

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
BravoBravo said:
There should be 3 debates 
In a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates, obtained by CNN and first reported by The Washington Post, Biden campaign manager Jen O'Malley Dillon said Biden will face off with Trump in those debates already planned -- on September 29, October 15 and October 22. A vice presidential debate will be held on October 7. https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/politics/biden-trump-debates/index.html

Trump is pushing for a fourth debate, Biden has said no to a fourth.