Will Smith gives Chris Rock a Black Eye

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
Oscars needs a major overhaul to regain viewers.

celebrity deathnatch.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Sox

Super Anarchist
Dublin, Ireland
How could anyone let themselves be conned into wearing that?

"No really - you look sensational - everyone will be talking".
Sorry, what are we seeing here? That looks to me like Wesley Snipe in some bizarre outfit. As you say, how did he get talked into it?

Three possibilities:

Photoshop

He did it for a bet

IT'S REAL!!!

atoyot

Super Anarchist
Dela-where?
For the record, in my humble opinion. A bitch slap is way more disrespectful than than a punch. Well done Mr. Smith

I was told that this is the basis behind the Biblical, "Turn the other cheek" phrase.  It's as if to say, "if you're going to hit me, hit me like you'd hit a man and give me at least that much respect."  Failure to do that, is what we saw, so, yes.   Then again, I'm hardly a scholar of things in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
By JAKE COYLE

AP FILM WRITER

LOS ANGELES — The day after slapping Chris Rock on the Oscars stage and upending the 94th Academy Awards, Will Smith issued an apology to the comedian, to the academy and to viewers at home, saying he was “out of line” and that his actions are “not indicative of the man I want to be.”

The fallout from Smith’s actions during Sunday’s ceremony continued Monday as Hollywood and the public continued to wrestle with a moment that stunned the Dolby Theatre crowd and viewers at home. The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences condemned Smith striking Rock, who had made a joke about his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, and said it would launch an inquiry.

Later in the day, Smith gave a stronger apology than he did in his best actor acceptance speech, which notably didn’t include apologizing to Rock.

“Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive,” said Smith in a statement issued by his publicist and posted on Instagram. “My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally. I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.”

The 53-year-old actor added apologies to the film academy, producers of the telecast, attendees, viewers and the Williams family. Smith was honored Sunday for his role as Richard Williams, father of Venus and Serena, in “King Richard.”

“I am a work in progress,” added Smith.

In addition to a review, the film academy said that it “will explore further action and consequences in accordance with our bylaws, standards of conduct and California law.” The Los Angeles Police Department said Sunday it was aware of the incident but was not pursuing an investigation because the person involved declined to file a police report.

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
Nah, Smith was laughing until he caught her giving him the stink eye.  And maybe a pointy shoed kick to his shin.

Just goes to show yet again our multi-tiered "justice" system.  Rich and famous can get away with almost anything.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
I no longer watch celebrity roasts because there isn't any wit or biting humor but a night of who can out gross the comedian before them. Not a roast but a gloves off ridicule.  Did the Oscars decide this is what is needed to save the show because the few bits I did watch were that. Everyone knew Rickles would be rude and crude but he didn't go The Aristocrats on anybody either.

I remember when Amy and Chris were funny, now they are just flailing.  IMHO time for a serious reset.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I no longer watch celebrity roasts because there isn't any wit or biting humor but a night of who can out gross the comedian before them. Not a roast but a gloves off ridicule. 
This.

The last decent roast I saw was Ann Coulter - and that was only because all the commentary was so heartfelt, not intended to be tongue in cheek.

Otherwise they pretty much died after people like Dean Martin and Johnny Carson quit doing them.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
This.

The last decent roast I saw was Ann Coulter - and that was only because all the commentary was so heartfelt, not intended to be tongue in cheek.

Otherwise they pretty much died after people like Dean Martin and Johnny Carson quit doing them.
Bieber was funny, cause, well, it was Bieber...  Nothing holds a candle to the ones in the 70's, Drinks in hand, heaters waving around and the hilarity ensued...