Will Smith gives Chris Rock a Black Eye

hobot

Super Anarchist
277666503_405330231638982_1874009066132214368_n.jpg

More Cowbell2

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
Announcing, “I’m offended,” is basically telling the world that you can’t control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

You choose whether or not to be offended by what someone says or does. It is totally up to you. Nobody can offend you if you don't let them.

Nobody has any power over your mind or emotions – only you. You are in the driver's seat; you are in control.

Maybe it is time to quit looking for chances to be offended and start seizing the power that you have over your own thoughts and emotions. Quit giving that control to other people, most of whom are complete strangers that you will probably never meet again. These people should absolutely not be able to offend you.

If you look for chances to be offended, you will find them at every turn. If you walk around with a chip on your shoulder, you will find that many people are more than willing to knock it off for you.

Start observing things with a rational mind instead of an emotional mind. Start choosing what you will and will not allow to affect you. You have the power – take it back and quit allowing every moron with a mouth or a keyboard to offend you.

Start taking control of your own mind, and you will find it easier take control of your own life. When you quit allowing other people to rob you of your inner peace, you will find that you can deal with any situation rationally.

If someone needs to have something explained to them in a forceful manner, do so. But don’t allow them to actually get to you. Refuse to be offended; just simply respond as needed.

Bohdi Sanders ~ excerpt from BUSHIDO: The Way of the Warrior
This^^^

My mother gave me a version of this speech when I was bullied as a kid in grade school.  The way she put it was, "why are you giving someone else the power to decide if you are going to be happy, sad, angry, mad etc?  You have the power to make that choice.  Do not give that power away to someone else, or you will never be happy."

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
And now we find out that Pfizer, which had never hosted the Oscars before, is coming out with an Alopecia drug.

tin foil hat.jpg

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
This^^^

My mother gave me a version of this speech when I was bullied as a kid in grade school.  The way she put it was, "why are you giving someone else the power to decide if you are going to be happy, sad, angry, mad etc?  You have the power to make that choice.  Do not give that power away to someone else, or you will never be happy."
Wise mom…….

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
I kinda thought that the consensus a few days ago was that we'd all try harder to leave the PA bullshit in PA.
How about you just shut the fuck up and quit whining.  It makes you even more annoying than usual.  Not to mention your gross hypocrisy.  Many of the memes you endlessly post in the meme thread are blatantly political, misogynistic and downright disgusting.  Typical of your elk, you post what you like and then somebody offends your sensibilities and you cry about it.  Not to mention, somebody slapping somebody at the Oscars, and a discussion thereof is hardly political fuckwit.  I often wonder if you are as big an asshole in real life as you are here.  I doubt it, you're just another cowardly bully hiding behind a fake name.  What are you ashamed of?  Never mind, the answer is obvious. 

You don't determine the consensus here, one of the biggest bull shitters here is hardly a one to call out bullshit.  Harden the fuck up you piece of snowflake shit. 

By the way, I am not insulting you in any way, remember offense is only taken, not given, dip shit.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Announcing, “I’m offended,” is basically telling the world that you can’t control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you.

You choose whether or not to be offended by what someone says or does. It is totally up to you. Nobody can offend you if you don't let them.

Nobody has any power over your mind or emotions – only you. You are in the driver's seat; you are in control.

Maybe it is time to quit looking for chances to be offended and start seizing the power that you have over your own thoughts and emotions. Quit giving that control to other people, most of whom are complete strangers that you will probably never meet again. These people should absolutely not be able to offend you.

If you look for chances to be offended, you will find them at every turn. If you walk around with a chip on your shoulder, you will find that many people are more than willing to knock it off for you.

Start observing things with a rational mind instead of an emotional mind. Start choosing what you will and will not allow to affect you. You have the power – take it back and quit allowing every moron with a mouth or a keyboard to offend you.

Start taking control of your own mind, and you will find it easier take control of your own life. When you quit allowing other people to rob you of your inner peace, you will find that you can deal with any situation rationally.

If someone needs to have something explained to them in a forceful manner, do so. But don’t allow them to actually get to you. Refuse to be offended; just simply respond as needed.

Bohdi Sanders ~ excerpt from BUSHIDO: The Way of the Warrior
I agree with that in principle, but I also believe in rainbows and unicorns.

In a prefect world, full of perfect humans, we would all get along and there wouldn't be any problems.  But we obviously don't live in a world like that.

We are all human and we all have feelings.  Feelings are uncontrollable, we can only control our response to those feelings, and sometimes the pressure builds and shit happens.  Like many things, it's one thing to know how to live correctly, to be nice, to ignore the annoying things, to deal with hardship, whether self inflicted or out of our control.  It another thing entirely to do that each and every day of our existence.  

I am not at all condoning what Smith did.  I am not an advocate of violent behavior, I haven't laid a hand in anger on another human in over 40 years, and that includes never using any kind of corporal punishment on my daughter.  Having said that, I also have a fiery temper that I have learned to control over the years, partly out of fear of really hurting somebody, and mainly because it's not a good way to live.  

But sometimes people let their temper get the best of them, and a perceived insult to a spouse or loved one is a common cause. Again, In no way do I condone this kind of behavior but to pretend it shouldn't ever happen, I think is unreasonable.  

The other thing is rather than set up the unreasonable expectation that all of us humans should not worry about what others say to us, maybe we should take some responsibility and try not to offend others.  While that might seem as unobtainable as never being offended by others, I think there's a difference.  To me, if we try not to be offensive, we put the responsibility on ourselves rather than have unrealistic expectations of others.  We can't control others, we can only control our own behavior.  We certainly reduce our risk of getting smacked in the face if we don't provoke others.  In either case it requires a lot of work, and frequent failure is a distinct possibility, but lot's of things in life require a lot of effort and involves repeated failure.  But I still think the onus is on us as individuals to make our best effort to be decent humans and limit our provocation of others to the best extent possible.  What might seem a harmless joke to us, might not be to the subject of the joke.  We might not know what they have experienced in their life, we don't know what their mood might be at any moment, how much stress they might be under at any given time. 

When I worked in the family violence area in the Army, we had tee shirts printed up that said words can hurt harder than fists.  I think that's true to a point, nobody likes to hear gratuitous insults and the can hurt a lot.  Should we just learn to accept that pain?  What about enduring it repeatedly along with all of the other slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.  What about repeatedly enduring it because the offensive person takes the lack of reaction as a weakness and persists in tormenting the other person because of that?  When I was younger I took a lot of shit that was completely uncalled for.  I was repeatedly bullied and picked on for no good reason.  I didn't like it at all and it had a profound impact on my young life.  I learned to deal with it, and I learned to defend myself, but it's no way to have a reasonable life.  I think a lot of the people here that love to insult people and then tell them not be so sensitive are the same kind of people that took great pleasure in tormenting me.  (To be clear, I don't think you are one of them PB.) I will say the experience taught me a lot about human nature and it made me a very strong adult, but there are better and easier ways to learn these things in my opinion.

To me putting the burden on an individual to endure perceived verbal abuse by another is about as insensitive as telling a depressed person to "Just cheer up, there are people far worse off than you are", or words to that effect.  We have no idea what that other person is experiencing.  Pain, be it physical or emotional is subjective and it isn't for us to decide what another person perceives as being painful.  We only know with any certainty what we feel, and it's as subjective as anybody else's feelings.  To tell somebody they have no right to feel insulted or offended, to me is about as insensitive as anything can be. 

We can make choices.  If we feel people are overly sensitive, then fine, don't engage with them at all.  Just shut up and walk away, it isn't that difficult.  With today's anonymous interactions on social media, it makes it much easier to bully people, and then insult them further for being snowflakes or whatever. 

That's how I feel about the subject, of course others feel differently.

And in case anybody wants to call me out for my intentionally very offensive response above to Red Tuna, go ahead and give me the hypocrite of the year award, I don't really care.  Like every human, I'm far from perfect, and in spite of my constant efforts, I still lose my temper on occasion.  Sorry.  

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
I agree with that in principle, but I also believe in rainbows and unicorns.

In a prefect world, full of perfect humans, we would all get along and there wouldn't be any problems.  But we obviously don't live in a world like that.

We are all human and we all have feelings.  Feelings are uncontrollable, we can only control our response to those feelings, and sometimes the pressure builds and shit happens.  Like many things, it's one thing to know how to live correctly, to be nice, to ignore the annoying things, to deal with hardship, whether self inflicted or out of our control.  It another thing entirely to do that each and every day of our existence.  

I am not at all condoning what Smith did.  I am not an advocate of violent behavior, I haven't laid a hand in anger on another human in over 40 years, and that includes never using any kind of corporal punishment on my daughter.  Having said that, I also have a fiery temper that I have learned to control over the years, partly out of fear of really hurting somebody, and mainly because it's not a good way to live.  

But sometimes people let their temper get the best of them, and a perceived insult to a spouse or loved one is a common cause. Again, In no way do I condone this kind of behavior but to pretend it shouldn't ever happen, I think is unreasonable.  

The other thing is rather than set up the unreasonable expectation that all of us humans should not worry about what others say to us, maybe we should take some responsibility and try not to offend others.  While that might seem as unobtainable as never being offended by others, I think there's a difference.  To me, if we try not to be offensive, we put the responsibility on ourselves rather than have unrealistic expectations of others.  We can't control others, we can only control our own behavior.  We certainly reduce our risk of getting smacked in the face if we don't provoke others.  In either case it requires a lot of work, and frequent failure is a distinct possibility, but lot's of things in life require a lot of effort and involves repeated failure.  But I still think the onus is on us as individuals to make our best effort to be decent humans and limit our provocation of others to the best extent possible.  What might seem a harmless joke to us, might not be to the subject of the joke.  We might not know what they have experienced in their life, we don't know what their mood might be at any moment, how much stress they might be under at any given time. 

When I worked in the family violence area in the Army, we had tee shirts printed up that said words can hurt harder than fists.  I think that's true to a point, nobody likes to hear gratuitous insults and the can hurt a lot.  Should we just learn to accept that pain?  What about enduring it repeatedly along with all of the other slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.  What about repeatedly enduring it because the offensive person takes the lack of reaction as a weakness and persists in tormenting the other person because of that?  When I was younger I took a lot of shit that was completely uncalled for.  I was repeatedly bullied and picked on for no good reason.  I didn't like it at all and it had a profound impact on my young life.  I learned to deal with it, and I learned to defend myself, but it's no way to have a reasonable life.  I think a lot of the people here that love to insult people and then tell them not be so sensitive are the same kind of people that took great pleasure in tormenting me.  (To be clear, I don't think you are one of them PB.) I will say the experience taught me a lot about human nature and it made me a very strong adult, but there are better and easier ways to learn these things in my opinion.

To me putting the burden on an individual to endure perceived verbal abuse by another is about as insensitive as telling a depressed person to "Just cheer up, there are people far worse off than you are", or words to that effect.  We have no idea what that other person is experiencing.  Pain, be it physical or emotional is subjective and it isn't for us to decide what another person perceives as being painful.  We only know with any certainty what we feel, and it's as subjective as anybody else's feelings.  To tell somebody they have no right to feel insulted or offended, to me is about as insensitive as anything can be. 

We can make choices.  If we feel people are overly sensitive, then fine, don't engage with them at all.  Just shut up and walk away, it isn't that difficult.  With today's anonymous interactions on social media, it makes it much easier to bully people, and then insult them further for being snowflakes or whatever. 

That's how I feel about the subject, of course others feel differently.

And in case anybody wants to call me out for my intentionally very offensive response above to Red Tuna, go ahead and give me the hypocrite of the year award, I don't really care.  Like every human, I'm far from perfect, and in spite of my constant efforts, I still lose my temper on occasion.  Sorry.  
Everyone chooses how to journey through this existence. I learned early that some people suck, there is evil in the world and bad things happen. Often the only thing I always had complete control over was……me. My reaction and “feelings” were completely mine. So people choose. I choose not to give away that power to anyone else….much less assholes. Others may choose differently. My life has been quite placid since understanding that. 

Kipling knew……..

If you can keep your head when all about you   

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;   

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   

If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;   

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,   

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   

Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   

And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Latest posts