Will Smith gives Chris Rock a Black Eye

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Everyone chooses how to journey through this existence. I learned early that some people suck, there is evil in the world and bad things happen. Often the only thing I always had complete control over was……me. My reaction and “feelings” were completely mine. So people choose. I choose not to give away that power to anyone else….much less assholes. Others may choose differently. My life has been quite placid since understanding that. 

Kipling knew……..

If you can keep your head when all about you   

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;   

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   

If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;   

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,   

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   

Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   

And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!
Again, I'm not entirely disputing what you say.  However everybody is different.  Some people are talented in some areas and not in others.  Some people are strong, many aren't.  Some folks will never be able to do what you say.  Some will. 

Not everybody is capable of or doesn't know how to chose their journey through their existence, no matter what you, Kipling or anybody else thinks or says.  

I think repeating what you say over and over isn't at all helpful.  It works for you great.  I've done it my way, and I'm happy I did.  But not everybody does that or can do that and I think we need to respect that.  Being born in the right place, at the right time, with the right genes has a lot to do with it. 

I don't think you mean it that way, but I don't think it's unreasonable for some people to think your attitude could be self righteous, condescending and lacking in empathy for others.  Quite honestly, I question why you feel the need to express these ideas here pretty often.  I think that might reveal something more about you than what you relate here.  Or maybe my reaction reveals something more about me.  Or both.  Just my opinion of course.   

I have nothing but time on my hands so I like to ponder these kind things.

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Now it's easy to understand how abuse is structurally ignored in Hollywood, even when it happens live and in your face! 

Why was WS not stopped on his way up?

If The Rock had made the joke would WS have gone up there?

Why wasn't WS removed immediately after returning to his seat? 

Why is WS then allowed to babble on and on and on to claim he is the defender of peace, love and kindness, who loves his wife too much?

Why did the audience then give him a standing ovation?

He ruined his own biggest night over a bad (uninformed) joke that compared his beautiful wife to another beautiful woman...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Now it's easy to understand how abuse is structurally ignored in Hollywood, even when it happens live and in your face! 

Why was WS not stopped on his way up?

If The Rock had made the joke would WS have gone up there?

Why wasn't WS removed immediately after returning to his seat? 

Why is WS then allowed to babble on and on and and on to claim he is the defender of peace, love and kindness, who loves his wife too much?

Why did the audience then give him a standing ovation?

He ruined his own biggest night over a bad (uninformed) joke that compared his beautiful wife to another beautiful woman...
In light of everything else that happens in this world, and pretty much always has, I have absolutely no fucks left to give about this little tiff.  In the grand scheme of things, it's beyond insignificant.  Just my opinion about it.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
In light of everything else that happens in this world, and pretty much always has, I have absolutely no fucks left to give about this little tiff.  In the grand scheme of things, it's beyond insignificant.  Just my opinion about it.

Right on!! 

Will who??  Chris who???

Who cares? 

I also have absolutely no fucks to give about this Hollywood BS.....

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Again, I'm not entirely disputing what you say.  However everybody is different.  Some people are talented in some areas and not in others.  Some people are strong, many aren't.  Some folks will never be able to do what you say.  Some will. 

Not everybody is capable of or doesn't know how to chose their journey through their existence, no matter what you, Kipling or anybody else thinks or says.  

I think repeating what you say over and over isn't at all helpful.  It works for you great.  I've done it my way, and I'm happy I did.  But not everybody does that or can do that and I think we need to respect that.  Being born in the right place, at the right time, with the right genes has a lot to do with it. 

I don't think you mean it that way, but I don't think it's unreasonable for some people to think your attitude could be self righteous, condescending and lacking in empathy for others.  Quite honestly, I question why you feel the need to express these ideas here pretty often.  I think that might reveal something more about you than what you relate here.  Or maybe my reaction reveals something more about me.  Or both.  Just my opinion of course.   

I have nothing but time on my hands so I like to ponder these kind things.
Well...........I suppose what I post does say something about me because it's what I believe to be true or a healthy perspective. Do I post that perspective too often? I can't say, I do post it when it seems appropriate to the subject. Just because everyone will not have that perspective doesn't mean some or even most won't....still it is a valid perspective. I am probably the closest philosophically to Buddhist teachings....no deity, no super being.......just humans and human perspectives. Buddhism teaches that we are all responsible for and if unhappy are capable of changing our own view of life. That we are personally responsible for our own views and happiness. Specifically, that the opinions of others carry less weight than your own opinion of yourself, and in fact..the opinions of others carry no weight in determining your happiness. There are many religions that circle in on that belief in one way or another except most religions give away that final responsibility to a deity or deities. Buddhism does not give it away but retains it as a personal journey and responsibility. Now I'm not a Buddhist but much of what is taught resonates with me.

Does that make me "better" than another? No..........but it apparently makes me happier than most. Sharing that view isn't meant to convey superiority - unless you are especially fragile - but to mention how one might view their journey with less angst....

Your mileage clearly differs. Enjoy your journey.

White Lightning2

Anarchist
PNW
Everyone chooses how to journey through this existence. I learned early that some people suck, there is evil in the world and bad things happen. Often the only thing I always had complete control over was……me. My reaction and “feelings” were completely mine. So people choose. I choose not to give away that power to anyone else….much less assholes. Others may choose differently. My life has been quite placid since understanding that. 

Kipling knew……..

If you can keep your head when all about you   

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;   

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   

If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;   

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,   

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   

Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   

And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!
My dad made me memorize that when I was 14. Don't think it really sank in til my early 20's. Maybe in small ways it did. But the total buy in was in early 20's

WL

hobot

Super Anarchist
And now we find out that Pfizer, which had never hosted the Oscars before, is coming out with an Alopecia drug.

View attachment 501194

tumblr_c53a976767ddbc2a9fbb44299a089166_2a504990_540 (1).jpg

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
That's the question.
Answers?

Hubris

Narcissism

Entitlement

Fear

The response was diffused responsibility on display:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_responsibility

Snip

The diffusion of responsibility refers to the decreased responsibility of action each member of a group feels when they are part of a group. For example, in emergency situations, individuals feel less responsibility to respond or call for help if they know that there are others also watching the situation - if they know they are a part of the group of witnesses.

chinabald

Super Anarchist
How much would prizes have to pay Smith to

1. possibly lose his iscar

2. Likely lose his membership in the academy

3. Have every interview for the rest of his life begin with Have you spoke to Chris Rock

4 interfere with his ability to make movies

5 Possibly be investigated by the law

6 lose your good guy image? (Will Smith doesn’t have to cuss to sell records) 

now before you answer he makes 20 million a movie. How much would phizer have to pay him? now do Chris Rock, how much is he paid? 

OR Phizer slips Smith 5 million to turn his acceptance speech into a call for action on his wife’s illness

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
How much would prizes have to pay Smith to

1. possibly lose his iscar

2. Likely lose his membership in the academy

3. Have every interview for the rest of his life begin with Have you spoke to Chris Rock

4 interfere with his ability to make movies

5 Possibly be investigated by the law

6 lose your good guy image? (Will Smith doesn’t have to cuss to sell records) 

now before you answer he makes 20 million a movie. How much would phizer have to pay him? now do Chris Rock, how much is he paid? 

OR Phizer slips Smith 5 million to turn his acceptance speech into a call for action on his wife’s illness
Mate, he already has enough money to not GAF.

Entitled bastards. 

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Gotta go with: 

The possibility exists that this was a set-up but random is nothing if not known for conspiracy theories. We all have seen it now ... and sure it's Hollywood ... but I don't see a guy with a net worth of ~$350M and likely another 10 years, at least, being a top leading man at a time when Black artists are ascendent and gaining access to that "deluxe apartment in the sky." Doesn't wash, and reaffirms many caustic stereotypes of Blacks at a critical point in history. I don't think Will, and Chris, are that dumb. You? Oh hell yeah.

Next up: Bruce Willis [250M $] with aphasia.

random -- whatchoo got my brother? Bruce is thought to be an R and supporter of TFG ... so your usual anti-merican blather is expected, if not welcome.

Latest posts