Wind Instruments for rotating mast

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Ah ha - never thought you'd put the instruments on an arm ahead of the mast with my stupid idea. Just figured for a cruising boat you'd be mounting it right on top of the mast.

Sailabout

Super Anarchist
If you read the B&G web site it sort of says the zeus software dynamically compensates for a rotating mast.

They are talking about radar and wind.

Anyone know if that works?

Struggling to understand how they could fix a wand that doesnt where its pointing?

gurok

UK
If you read the B&G web site it sort of says the zeus software dynamically compensates for a rotating mast.

Struggling to understand how they could fix a wand that doesnt where its pointing?
I think you’ll find that what they are really saying is that the take the data from a mast rotation sensor into account when displaying data on screen. 

EarthBM

Anarchist
Has anyone use this one
It seems like a good solution, other than it needs to be less than 5' above deck yet its solar panels need to be unobstructed.

256200.jpg

Bruno

Super Anarchist
Ryan Finn's solution, putting up a secondary mast 16' to weather for his wind instruments is interesting. It may be that's what  he had to do as his mast rotates 180 d and that ama is always to weather but it is simple, low cost ish, and easy to access. It is vulnerable, lower, and maybe not generalizable. Some have put a structure on the stern but that's subject to interference. The half beam on my boat is 12.5'.

Lykke

So Cal
This setup looks pretty neat and protected. And probably the only way (other than a masthead compass) to make it work with a tilting mast.

951635C5-73A4-42D9-98D0-BB6D7E8DF0D5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

EarthBM

Anarchist
Mine is wired directly into Analogue channel 1 on the H5000 CPU.

View attachment 434778

When you hit the configure button you are presented with a dialogue box that allows you to set Mast Rotation specifically

View attachment 434779

Configure from here allows you to set angle limits and will be specific to your setup. As I said in previous posts I created a large protractor to get the angle of rotation as accurate as I could. On my rig with no sails up ( and weight of wind forcing rotation ) that ended up being 42 degrees either side of center.

As soon as you have done this in the CPU mast rotation angle will be available to your other instruments.

Good luck.
Does anyone know if an analog channel can be set up this was without H5000? I only have Vulcan 12R. Vulcan's manual states that:
"If the vessel is fitted with a rotating mast it will impact any sensors or radar mounted to it. Provided the mast is also fitted with a sensor to measure rotation, the effect can be compensated for." 

I don't see anything in the manual beyond that. If the answer (to the "can Vulcan interpret an analog channel" question) is a no, is there a sensor that can give angle numbers directly as NMEA sentenses?  

Dead air

Does anyone know if an analog channel can be set up this was without H5000? I only have Vulcan 12R. Vulcan's manual states that:
"If the vessel is fitted with a rotating mast it will impact any sensors or radar mounted to it. Provided the mast is also fitted with a sensor to measure rotation, the effect can be compensated for." 

I don't see anything in the manual beyond that. If the answer (to the "can Vulcan interpret an analog channel" question) is a no, is there a sensor that can give angle numbers directly as NMEA sentenses?  
Unfortunately no to both questions, NMEA doesn’t have/support a standard sentence for mast rotation angle, hence all corrections have to be done off the bus, either through a processor (H5000) or some other proprietary black box (LCJ, Openwind)

randel0

For folks that are interested, I've created a small, rugged and relatively inexpensive solution to providing mast rotation-compensated apparent wind angle information to NMEA200 instruments.

Info, schematics and source code is here:

kruiter

Honlulu
Probably everyone knows about this, but there is something called the SailTimer wind instrument which is a wireless wind gauge with a compass in it, which should (in theory) work in this application. I picked up an older one used and 1) had a hard time getting the battery to charge, 2) was not thrilled with the apps that supported it, and 3) could not get the compass to calibrate well. At least two of these issues could be to prior mistreatment of the item. I may come back to it someday, but for now I have set it aside.

Ravenswing

Probably everyone knows about this, but there is something called the SailTimer wind instrument which is a wireless wind gauge with a compass in it, which should (in theory) work in this application. I picked up an older one used and 1) had a hard time getting the battery to charge, 2) was not thrilled with the apps that supported it, and 3) could not get the compass to calibrate well. At least two of these issues could be to prior mistreatment of the item. I may come back to it someday, but for now I have set it aside.
Kruiter, if you ever do get tempted to try it again, first take a stroll through the F-boat Forum posts on the SailTimer. A lot of people tried it, and no one had success. It was designed for dinghies, to be removed and cleaned / charged / stored for the next sail. The inventor falsely claimed his product would work long term at the top of masts that stay up. Mine lasted a month, and only connected to the app occasionally during that time. It’s gone to recycling now.

CPM

For folks that are interested, I've created a small, rugged and relatively inexpensive solution to providing mast rotation-compensated apparent wind angle information to NMEA200 instruments.

Info, schematics and source code is here:

Hi,i am about to try the Raymarine solution,but would prefer a wired solution instead of the wireless on the masttop.I am preparing my boat for the OSTAR 2024,launching ~ April 2023.Have not unboxed the Raymarine instruments.According to a friend of mine the Raymarine stuff does work but sometimes drop out.Runs fine after a restart.Plug and play would be my favorite.
Any recommendation?
Cheers, Charles

Wess

Super Anarchist
Kruiter, if you ever do get tempted to try it again, first take a stroll through the F-boat Forum posts on the SailTimer. A lot of people tried it, and no one had success. It was designed for dinghies, to be removed and cleaned / charged / stored for the next sail. The inventor falsely claimed his product would work long term at the top of masts that stay up. Mine lasted a month, and only connected to the app occasionally during that time. It’s gone to recycling now.
Plus one!

mpenman

Pompano Beach
I don't know much, but my NKE stuff on my boat is like leagues ahead of any garmin stuff I have ever had and I don't complain no where near as much as folks around me with other installs.

NKE may be more expensive but if installed correctly, just works great. Consider me a fan.

Reactions: CPM

CPM

I don't know much, but my NKE stuff on my boat is like leagues ahead of any garmin stuff I have ever had and I don't complain no where near as much as folks around me with other installs.

NKE may be more expensive but if installed correctly, just works great. Consider me a fan.
Thank you, Charles

rehmbo

Same question here. We have a Zeus3 and looking to incorporate mast rotation correction. I have scoured their website, YouTube, OM, IM, and every other source I can think of. The IM notes it supports correction, but there are zero details on how. Unless someone has specific advice here, I guess it's time to call them and pray I get someone knowledgable enough to answer properly.

Sailabout

Super Anarchist
Same question here. We have a Zeus3 and looking to incorporate mast rotation correction. I have scoured their website, YouTube, OM, IM, and every other source I can think of. The IM notes it supports correction, but there are zero details on how. Unless someone has specific advice here, I guess it's time to call them and pray I get someone knowledgable enough to answer properly.
Just heard that the Honeywell set up does work with a zeus.

Latest posts