Wind Instruments for rotating mast

Dead air

How?
Need to convert analogue Honeywell output into NMEA 2k sentences, which B&G keeps private. Zeus can do that?
it won't, you need a black box to do the calculation. (the reference in the manual for mast rotation is about radar overlays and the data coming out of a processor, it won't do any calcs itself as there is no NMEA sentence for mast angle)

B&G's black box is the H5000, which also does a lot of other things, but comes at a significant cost.

Randel0, in a post above decribes a homebuilt black box for a fraction of the cost. The hat labs board used is lisenced for N2K so no issue wih "private" sentences, it would appear on the network as a second apparaent wind agle source.

GitHub - randel0/NEMA2K-Mast-Rotation-Compensator: Version 1.4

Version 1.4. Contribute to randel0/NEMA2K-Mast-Rotation-Compensator development by creating an account on GitHub.
github.com
github.com
Both of these solutions are pretty high accuracy for AWA as they both use rotation senors with sub degree accuracy to give you AWA relative to the bow. The B&G has more of an upgrade path.

A slightly less accurate, but easier to implement solution for the less electronic engineering inclined is to use a shipmodul miniplex 3 with n2k. You use another standard n2k compass mounted on the mast, and the multiplxer will compare the boat heading compass with the mast compass, and use that offset to adjust the awa angle from the masthead unit. Again this will appear on the network as a second awa source. The issue you start running into with this approach is you are now relying on 2 compass headings, both with +/- 3degrees of error to just get awa. These are culumative so by the time it gets to the instument you have a potential +/- 6 degrees of error before you even think about doing a TWD calculation.

Sailabout

Super Anarchist
How?
Need to convert analogue Honeywell output into NMEA 2k sentences, which B&G keeps private. Zeus can do that?
Once Navico took over B&G I am pretty sure they went N2000 standard, you can plug anything into a Zeus
Yes you need a box to convert the motorola output to nmea2000
Let me check with a factory sparky as it was a crew member telling me they had done several.
Once you set up the motorola device ( via laptop) they got true wind angle

Lykke

So Cal
My reference to a private NMEA2k sentence is about B&G monitors (even Vulcan) having a toggle to accept mast rotation angle. So I assume that if the angle is sent to the MFDs, they can perform the AWA correction, but it has to be in a NMEA sentence MFDs can recognize. B&G tech refused to share their code for the mast rotation sentence. It’s not a public NMEA code

Sailabout

Super Anarchist
Once Navico took over B&G I am pretty sure they went N2000 standard, you can plug anything into a Zeus
Yes you need a box to convert the motorola output to nmea2000
Let me check with a factory sparky as it was a crew member telling me they had done several.
Once you set up the motorola device ( via laptop) they got true wind angle
EDIT>>
yes the yard tells me you need a h5000 for this to work
only $1600

Last edited:

Latest posts