Winterizing on the Hard

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Boat hauled with trouble light on engine. 5411 2 cyl diesel raw water cooled. Thinking I should drain residual water in system. Have air tank available and was thinking of  blowing water out but thought I'd check in first. An alternative is a hand pump on an antifreeze jug. 

Correct procedure? Thx

mal5033

Anarchist
What I have done is pull the water inlet hose, put it in a bucket of pink stuff and run the motor until you see pink stuff running out the back discharge. Works fine in our brutal Michigan winters.....

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
What I have done is pull the water inlet hose, put it in a bucket of pink stuff and run the motor until you see pink stuff running out the back discharge. Works fine in our brutal Michigan winters.....
Yeah... gotta ask. wasn't sure they'd want me cranking the engine on the stands. That would be the simple fix.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Yeah... gotta ask. wasn't sure they'd want me cranking the engine on the stands. That would be the simple fix.
I've done it with my Freedom 45 and with my Columbia. the Columbia worries me more. the Freedom's engine is much smoother and the boat feels more solid on its keel. and the engine cutoff is right next to the strainer.

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
If it were me...

I'd fill (or partially fill) a bucket with anti-freeze and use a submersible pump to pump anti-freeze through the engine after removing the impeller. 

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Be careful with this. Most people get lucky, but if the engine doesn’t get up to temp, the thermostat won’t open. This leaves water instead of antifreeze in half your engine. The safest version of your method is to remove the thermostat, run the motor full of pink stuff, then replace thermostat. 

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
Be careful with this. Most people get lucky, but if the engine doesn’t get up to temp, the thermostat won’t open. This leaves water instead of antifreeze in half your engine. The safest version of your method is to remove the thermostat, run the motor full of pink stuff, then replace thermostat. 
I posted this question on a powerboat forum and their advice was what Monkey says. The way I recommended with the pump could result in anti-freeze entering a cylinder through an exhaust valve unless you remove the output hose from the riser. 

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Doesn’t the thermostat only function on the coolant side of the cooling system and does  not in any way Impede the raw water side?

i think blue crab wants to either blow out the the raw water side,or replace the raw water with the pink rv winterizing fluid.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I posted this question on a powerboat forum and their advice was what Monkey says. The way I recommended with the pump could result in anti-freeze entering a cylinder through an exhaust valve unless you remove the output hose from the riser. 
I would hope the powerboaters agree with me!  I work for Mercury. When new engines fail, we bring them back to see why. Not winterizing correctly is shockingly common. 

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Doesn’t the thermostat only function on the coolant side of the cooling system and does  not in any way Impede the raw water side?

i think blue crab wants to either blow out the the raw water side,or replace the raw water with the pink rv winterizing fluid.
You answered your own question. If the thermostat impedes flow to the coolant side, you’re left with plain old water in all the coolant passages. I can’t emphasize enough, either drain the engine or remove the thermostat for the pink stuff method. 

penumbra

WLIS (ish)
You answered your own question. If the thermostat impedes flow to the coolant side, you’re left with plain old water in all the coolant passages. I can’t emphasize enough, either drain the engine or remove the thermostat for the pink stuff method. 
+1. On a raw water cooled engine, you either need to pull the thermostat or get it hot. There is an option of pulling the thermostat and using a strong electric pump, if you're uncomfortable about running the motor on the stands or it won't run. 

On my Atomic 4, which was raw cooled, I would run it on the stands to get it hot and introduce the coolant.

In my opinion, the best procedure for that is to head all the way over to conventional engine coolant. I built a closed loop rig for the A4 to both get it hot and get the green stuff in the works. It has anti-corrosive additives and other magic that can extend life of a winter laid up motor. In the spring, a quick rinse capturing the output and recycled the works. I had an advantage of a municipal yard that accepted it for free - a rare great situation.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
My bad.  I misread blues post.   I was thinking about a closed loop system not a raw water cooled...

Will1073

Anarchist
We use a 5gal bucket. Disconnect raw water in from thru-hull. Run a hose to it, run engine to temp while maintaining water level in bucket. Once warmed up, allow engine to suck last of water and replace with ENGINE RATED antifreeze. Most pink shit is not good for engines — check the label.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
We use a 5gal bucket. Disconnect raw water in from thru-hull. Run a hose to it, run engine to temp while maintaining water level in bucket. Once warmed up, allow engine to suck last of water and replace with ENGINE RATED antifreeze. Most pink shit is not good for engines — check the label.
As I continued searching, good ol Mainesail has a video doing this as others suggested above although he goes with the pink stuff. Another MS vid shows the pink stuff frozen at 4­­°F, though the label sez it's good to -50°.  Didn't see that coming. Thoughts?

I called the yard and was assured that the thermostat would be removed to winterize, so with that I asked them to do it. I intended to be on the boat long before now instead of commuting 200 mi RT. Life gets in the way.

Thx for all the comments.

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
It’s been my understanding that although the pink stuff will begin to freeze around 0°, it’s more of a slush kind of thing and doesn’t freeze hard enough to expand and break anything.