With Layline and APS closed, who do you mail order from

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
When we finally pull our secondaries and upgrade, do you want another set? Even have the ratcheting handles for them.
My right hand man has a standing “I saw this coming first” claim about the winches. 
He thinks some sailor’s wife will come in sometime and pay us to Mount the winches on teak to create some sort of office desk ornament .

I think he is half right. If I built that desk top thing or jade bookends, somebody would buy them…. Maybe . 

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
Landfall and Defender here in CT have been solid, and I got great service from Vela when I needed a J/70 halyard in a pinch. Would recommend all!

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
My right hand man has a standing “I saw this coming first” claim about the winches. 
He thinks some sailor’s wife will come in sometime and pay us to Mount the winches on teak to create some sort of office desk ornament .

I think he is half right. If I built that desk top thing or jade bookends, somebody would buy them…. Maybe . 
I do have the old Mizzen Halyard winch for a paper weight, it's a bit smaller and more suitable

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
Svendsens have a pretty big chandlery, not so much known as a mail order venue, but the only place I ever saw Harken blocks sold in the same store as Festools and chainsaws since they were purchased and merged in Bay Marine

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Defender is excellent. Some stuff can only come from the more race oriented dealers. Pro trick with Defender’s kinda lame website (and this SA farce too) is do the search on Google not the goofy site search. 

Shipping sucks all over the world right now. 

I just had four nearly identical packages sent from the same shipper in Valencia to Seattle.  Two were shipped a month and a half before the other set.  One of the second set beat the last of the first shipment by a week.  The last two of each set came in a day apart.  8 weeks for one shipment, 2 weeks for the other.   The cause?  Huge lack of truck drivers in the US and lack of trans-Atlantic commercial airlines flights. 

My shipping experts say my experience is the new norm.
We are in New Zealand and have had stuff shipped here from the US east coast and also France. Anytime that UPS is used it takes a month and then gets stuck in customs for up to ten days. Anytime DHL is used it takes a week and spends just one day in customs. If you're in a hurry then DHL is now the only 'on time' delivery service. This was also true when we were in French Polynesia three years ago before Covid hit.

For Dyneema rigging, and high tech lines... You should also just give Keith Burrage a try.... "Skateaway Designs"  He is a one man shop but has alot of stock, very fair prices, and knowledge.

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Defender is my #1.  I wish they had a better website, but, it seems to work most of the time.
Ya.. the website looks a little dated, but it works and pages load quickly.  Plus I've always had excellent service if I need to call them and talk to someone about a product or delivery issue.  Very rare to get that kind of customer service anymore. 

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Ya.. the website looks a little dated, but it works and pages load quickly.  Plus I've always had excellent service if I need to call them and talk to someone about a product or delivery issue.  Very rare to get that kind of customer service anymore. 
One improvement I would love to see is a chat option where if  I have a quick question, I can interact mid sale to ensure compatibility or sizing, etc...   I know I can always call, but, I am of the generation that just hates talking on the phone.  :D

adrianl

Anyone have a good source for Marlow rope as well? Used to get it from APS. Local chandlery has some but not all, and often out of stock. Would like to order some and not have to get a whole spool. 
Mauri Pro - order the length you need

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
Funny thing, no one mentions West Marine.

Their (bad) reputation is well earned.

For me, they are a store of last resort - I'll support any of these other places before I even look at West.

toolbar

Kiel, Germany
Not much of a help for you guys, but in Germany there is one good mail order shop, that is so much better than the (local) competition. They tick nearly all the boxes.

SVB has as great inventory, are very honest with their availability notices (in stock means sitting on a shelf in _their_ warehouse), have their logistics down to a point (when I order until 2pm it's delivered the next day), have phone support that is useful in most cases and will order/organize stuff they don't have in stock.

Prices are competetive as well.

Paul

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
We did get a huge uptick from customers on the East Coast over the last year. The 2021 Block Island Race Week regatta had at least a dozen boats sporting customized technical apparel that we provided. Please keep in mind we will recreate your artwork at no cost and keep it in our library for future use. We offer screen printing, embroidery, and dye sublimation services.  We now also offer all-over dye sublimation prints on  shirts as well. Drop us a note at [email protected] or call toll free 1-888-379-7447 ext 2. 

Many thanks to our existing customers and to all of you that are about to become our new customers. We greatly appreciate each and every order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
One improvement I would love to see is a chat option where if  I have a quick question, I can interact mid sale to ensure compatibility or sizing, etc...   I know I can always call, but, I am of the generation that just hates talking on the phone.  :D
the phone is what  I miss the most about Layline ... I bet I spent a year of my life on the phone with Henry before they had websites really dialed in. 

Last edited by a moderator: