20220413-122841.jpg

this is eversons

20220413-123003.jpg

20220413-122922.jpg

20220413-122909.jpg

the yard makes me happy every time I go past

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
his is frome a sculpture trail boardwalk in stonehaven.

One of the works is a beautifully rendered cartoon fishing boat crewed by fish and crabs who catch men in nets and callously cast the humans into a hold or cram them in boxes

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

went for a walk in woodbridge

Eversons yard - where they refurb and repair old boats has an art installation

the sculpture does not float

and it has a story

this is eversons

the yard makes me happy every time I go past

I'm a fan of saw horse design. This one has design tweaks I've never seen. The thru bolt and I beam makes it fast to build and strong. It wouldn't have taken any longer to cut the tops at the correct miter and bevel,...but there I go, complicating it. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 4.42.36 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I'm a fan of saw horse design. This one has design tweaks I've never seen. The thru bolt and I beam makes it fast to build and strong. It wouldn't have taken any longer to cut the tops at the correct miter and bevel,...but there I go, complicating it. 

View attachment 504730

Kris,

Have you ever seen a Burro Folding Sawhorse? An elaboration to the one you commented on.

7c083e05011e87578e280fbe3c077773.jpg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Kris,

Have you ever seen a Burro Folding Sawhorse? An elaboration to the one you commented on.

No, those look pretty great! Small KD package yet capable for big loads. 

I quick-designed a lighter folding horse for fast set up and stowing, 15 years ago. I still have them in the shop and use and fold them up regularly.

Horses 2.jpg

Not worth a patent though, too much work. Now you can buy them in plastic. 

Horses folded 2.jpg

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
    Nice design Kris. When I first started apprenticing as a cabinetmaker, one shop owner spent about 5 minutes interviewing me about my lack of experience in woodworking and my interests and then looked down at his watch and set a 15 minute timer. He then took me into the shop and threw a couple of 2x4's, a bag of sheet rock screws and some scraps of plywood on a bench and told me I had those 15 minutes to build a pair of sawhorses.

I got the job...

I used that same hiring technique for many years and it is a great way to weed out the hackers from someone who can use their head and understands how to make the best use of materials to accomplish a goal. 

My first sawhorse was pretty close to this design. A classic pair!

photo-large-hd.jpg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
A boat shop in Italy I screen grabbed. In Italy, you'll often find ancient arches instead of beams.

Real workplace, note the serious horses. 

Officina Maremosso Taranto Italy.jpg

My harbor. I don't know if you could count the number of horses where 100 craftsmen work, nor the opinions on what makes a good horse.

PRINCESA_.jpg

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Sounds like we're working towards a Sawhorse Anarchy thread...

All good. I need to replace the decrepit pair sitting under my kayak so I'm looking for ideas.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
The ones under Princesa in the photo above are basically what I have now. I like the wider tops on the horses in Rasper's picture. I'm sure I can build a decent copy of them, but if someone else has already worked out the BOM and the angles to cut, I'll take 'em!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
The ones under Princesa in the photo above are basically what I have now. I like the wider tops on the horses in Rasper's picture. I'm sure I can build a decent copy of them, but if someone else has already worked out the BOM and the angles to cut, I'll take 'em!
The ones Rasper posted are a pretty common design. The son of the yard foremen at my local lumber yard builds them in the off season (he's a lobsterman) and sells dozens of them at the yard. $25 a horse. I've bought at least 6 of them. The boatyard buys them too now,..... :)  There goes the art of the saw horse..

Spar ready 2021.jpg

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
These are my favorites. If what we have been posting are saw-horses, these would be Saw-oxen. The legs are 4X4" and notched to form a pocket and step for the 4X5" cross member. Gusseted ends and through bolted. 

Spar  2.jpg