World Sailor Classification Group 1/ Group 3

yoyoboy

Does anyone know if World Sailing automatically classifies you as a Category 3 (pro) until they finish reviewing your application?

I just applied and assigned Cat 3, even though I am an amateur answered all questions correctly.  How do I get this corrected?
Website is showing review application in progress, but also complete... 
Thanks for the help

Review - Application

In Progress

3 Jun 2022, 15:00:27 (UTC)

Categorization assigned

Complete

Category 3 assigned on 3 Jun 2022, 15:00:27 (UTC)

Application

Complete

Application submitted on 3 Jun 2022, 15:00:27 (UTC)

Application

In Progress

3 Jun 2022, 14:51:08 (UTC)

accnick

Super Anarchist
Something on your application must have triggered that. I believe there is a process to appeal a categorization, but I don't know how to do it. I'd go back online and try to figure it out.

The system has only been back up for a few weeks, so it may still have glitches.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
In the past I know Tom Rinda has been helpful in sorting these things out. He’s the chair of the World Sailing commission. Tony Rey is also someone to ask. 

Last edited by a moderator:

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
They’re working out a bug in their system that incorrectly applies a 3 rating if you report sailing a certain number of days per year, despite having no other Cat 3 qualifications.

you need to manually appeal

yoyoboy

Thanks @jackolantern@jackolantern That sounds like exactly what happened to me and another one our crew. 

Do you happen to appeal on the new website? Is there a good direct person to email? 

Thanks. 

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
you were assigned Cat 3 because of the number of days you said you sailed on the application.

To fix this email Paul Deacon at World Sailing and tell him you are a Cat 1 NOT a Pro, not paid to fix boats, make sails, not paid advertising endorsement fees.  Paul can be reached at [email protected] 

This is a known issue that World Sailing is looking to fix.

You can thank the  Shadow

yoyoboy

you were assigned Cat 3 because of the number of days you said you sailed on the application.

To fix this email Paul Deacon at World Sailing and tell him you are a Cat 1 NOT a Pro, not paid to fix boats, make sails, not paid advertising endorsement fees.  Paul can be reached at [email protected] 

This is a known issue that World Sailing is looking to fix.

You can thank the  Shadow
Thank you Mr Shadow!

Worked out perfectly. Now if you can just get our account sorted out so she's not a Cat 3 just because she works for a sailing school and has sailed on Far 40's.

Last name rhymes with Looney. Think Mad Eye from Harry Potter. 

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas

To fix this email Paul Deacon at World Sailing and tell him you are a Cat 1 …..not paid to fix boats, make sails, 
What the hell does fixing boats or making sails have to do with bring a pro sailor?? 

Are people who sew baseballs pro baseball players ?

Are people who build mattresses prostitutes?

Are people who build golf clubs pro golfers??

Are people who make oil filters professional race car drivers? 

If you build backboards are you a pro basketball player? 

Are people who make and repair equipment for any sport on the  planet considered to be professionals at that sport? 
Certainly  not. 
By what leap of lunacy are we tolerating the assignment of boat builders and maintenance personnel as professional sailors?? 

Those who build and maintain our toys are generally underpaid enthusiasts who do what they do out of an irrational love of boats and  the community. They generally cannot afford the time to practice nor the best equipment and are the very least likely to be sailing for money…. Unless they do sail for money ..

in which case they are pros.

but… until such time as a person accepts financial compensation for the act of racing , that person  is an amateur .

if there is some asshat at some sailing  association who is assigning professional status to anyone who does not get Paid to race, the person needs to be banned from our sport. If the problem turns out to be a conspiracy, all the participants in this irrational discrimination need to be permanently removed. 

gt-MTb

HTFU

Don't you have some boats to fix to make your living?

maybe the definition of Cat-3 isn't perfect, but if not having the chance to win a Corinthian Pickle Dish gets your panties this twisted... 

surf nazi

Super Anarchist
HTFU

Don't you have some boats to fix to make your living?

maybe the definition of Cat-3 isn't perfect, but if not having the chance to win a Corinthian Pickle Dish gets your panties this twisted... 
WTF ? The problem is that the rule excludes people from crewing in certain classes, j105 for example, if they are a  cat 3 . Most of us in the sport, other than world sailing and US failing want to increase participation not decrease it. Gouvernail correctly pointed out the problem with the rule and then you want him to HTFU ? That doesn't even make sense.   

gt-MTb

Gouvernail correctly pointed out the problem with the rule and then you want him to HTFU ? That doesn't even make sense.   
Here's a little secret... life isn't fair... get over it.

We all agree being paid to fly to a regatta and sail is clearly Cat-3.

But what about someone that sews sails or fixes boats... they may not get paid to sail on Saturday... but when the boat owner needs a new sail or needs his boat fixed, they might give that person the job... maybe even pay a premium if they helped win the race.

Life is full of grey areas, and it sucks when one of them catches you in a way you don't think is fair.  

My initial reply was a little tongue-in-cheek... if your skin is too thin, then HTFU - or better - go sailing and enjoy life.

surf nazi

Super Anarchist
Here's a little secret... life isn't fair... get over it.

We all agree being paid to fly to a regatta and sail is clearly Cat-3.

But what about someone that sews sails or fixes boats... they may not get paid to sail on Saturday... but when the boat owner needs a new sail or needs his boat fixed, they might give that person the job... maybe even pay a premium if they helped win the race.

Life is full of grey areas, and it sucks when one of them catches you in a way you don't think is fair.  

My initial reply was a little tongue-in-cheek... if your skin is too thin, then HTFU - or better - go sailing and enjoy life.
All right inter web bad ass . Just keep posting htfu when it doesn't apply.  JUST FYI, a little tongue in cheek doesn't work well when your use of the language is limited. I did not complain about fairness, my complaint is with the sailing authorities who are trying to slowly kill our sport ...and with idiots on computers who want to play tough guy. best of luck in the real world   

gt-MTb

my complaint is with the sailing authorities who are trying to slowly kill our sport   
You blame WS?  They drew the line and said you are only an amateur if it is clear there are no conflicts of interest in the marine industry (ie. you work on boats, you aren't Cat-1).

I blame the owners of J/105 -J/70 - and other classes - that decided to disregard the spirit of Amateur Sport, and use hired-guns... all for a pickle dish.  This forced class-rules and WS to react in a way to protect amateurs. 

Guess we see the world different... but owners hiring crew, spending 10's of thousands per year on sails... all to win a flag/throphy/pickle dish as much more an issue driving people away than WS and their category classifications...

And I don't see crying about it on the internet as a solution.  If that makes me a tough guy to you, whatever.  I'd still buy you a beer an enjoy hearing how your race went at the bar.

if my "HTFU" comment hurts your feelings, I'm sorry.  I thought this was Sailing Anarchy...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Every time I write a post about the absurdity of calling people professional sailors who have not ever even raced on a sailboat, a slew of apologists complain that “ somebody might lie and take laundered money.”

Either you take compensation for racing or you don’t. If you lie and launder the money through sailboat maintenance, or a real estate deal, or engage in barter dentistry it all comes down to the same thing.
Either you are paid to sail or you are not,
If you launder the funds, you are a cheat. We have rule 69

I am appalled by the people who advocate for treating those who serve our boating needs as universally too immoral to be honest about laundering funds, while willfully ignoring tte fact huge numbers of dishonest professional sailors who pose as amateur sailors are paid handsomely with laundered funds.

The absolute only reason to ever label a person a professional competitor is being paid to race.

Legislating exclusion based upon a Theoretical possibility of maybe perhaps laundering some compensation through a marine electrical wiring business is pure unadulterated bullshit.

Finally, for those who are so foolish as to believe this post constituted whining:

It is fools like you who give me someone to look down upon. The asinine poorly considered incompetently developed and ignorantly applied category system has ZERO influence on my own sailing. I merely a man who stands up for those who are abused by disgusting slimebags who use their position to harm innocent people.

gt-MTb

Either you take compensation for racing or you don’t.

To me, this is the problem. You are trying to make the issue black & white, it isn't.

We all agree taking money/compensation to race makes you a pro.

But there is a lot of gray-areas... if someone has that boat wiring business... if they win a lot of races because they are good... even on a friend's boat... and they are social at the club, and helpful... will they get more business? Does spending time at regattas help their professional life? Surely networking with potential clients isn't useless.

Just because you don't take direct money doesn't make you the same as me either.

And to top it off... you say you look down on me? All I said was harden-up, life isn't fair. Life is too short to whine because you can't win a Corinthian pickle dish.

But if ever you can get over your ego and self-righteous outlook to come-down here where you're looking down at me... I'd be happy to buy you a beer and solve all the worlds problems at the bar.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
I am a physician.

I have been paid for work by a boat owner which required knowledge and skill and it undoubtably enhanced his performance on a boat in a race.

Does this mean I am Cat 3?