Worrell 1000

Go Team Australia, I’m in total awe of Rod Waterhouse.He must be in (or close to) his sixties now! That finish yesterday shows extreme fitness ( and skill) for someone in that age group. 

^^ also bad luck to Randy, who must also be getting quite long in the tooth, but still showing the young tacklers how it’s done. I don’t know about the USA but in Australia it’s amazing how many ex serious Hobie racers from 30 or 40years ago are still winning races in differing classes and sizes of multihulls.

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
Rod is just a big kid. 
About 160 miles in 18.5 hrs.=8.6 mph upwind double trapped, it's blowing 20-30 in 6 to 10's on a F18.

I may have sailed close to him on a Sunday morning when the Hogsbreath 1000 came up the Gulf off Englewood Beach many years ago.

So 10 of the 13 boats are Nacra;s.  And 8 of those are the newer Evolution model, while two are the older Infusion model (which there are several variations of) 

The boat which suffered the big ugly hull fracture was the lone Goodall C2. 

The top 5 boats (the four who finished yesterday, plus Team Rudee's (Randy Smyth)) are all Nacra Evolutions 
the team with the C2 that fractured found their spare boat had fractured in the same place, so trailered it to the start of the next leg, I haven’t heard of this being a problem with C2’s and wondering if it was how they were trailered or handled.

How good is the lady commentating this race, she obviously knows her sailing and it’s a pity we don’t have her commentating for Sail GP. Her voice is happy and up beat but not over the top as well as knowing her stuff

F16 sail?
Not a bad idea.  I don't have time to go through the F18 Class rules at the moment, but the Worrell boats are all required to comply with F18 regs down to the dot.  So if the F18 requires a sail of a maximum size and does not stipulate a minimum, that could certainly work.

david r

Anarchist
pond
From the tracking map it looks like the Netherlands boat closest to shore is lifted and ahead, whilst the boats closer to the rumb line are headed.  This may be a year  where the rumb line guys get worked.  The captain of the Dutch team, Mr. Loos has won many tittles in the past.  I was wondering why they were at the back before this.  They are only 1/3 of the way so far and there are weird weather patterns about, but maybe team Holland will win this leg.

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
From the tracking map it looks like the Netherlands boat closest to shore is lifted and ahead, whilst the boats closer to the rumb line are headed.  This may be a year  where the rumb line guys get worked.  The captain of the Dutch team, Mr. Loos has won many tittles in the past.  I was wondering why they were at the back before this.  They are only 1/3 of the way so far and there are weird weather patterns about, but maybe team Holland will win this leg.
EVERY year the rhumb line guys get worked on this leg. Inside is sketchy but definitely the way to go.

david r

Anarchist
pond
Almost 14 hours later and the leaders are neck and neck reaching along at 8 knots.  Rudees, and Australia.

The 2 times i sailed this leg, the fleet took the rhumb line. Was early 80's.

mpenman

Pompano Beach
Those are some great sailors. Randy is a legend. If he's on the starting line I don't even bother to figure out the start, I just follow him. When he starts sheeting in, it's go time on our boat too. Truly great sailor who can make any boat go fast.

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
http://kws.kattack.com/WPlayer/WPosDisplay.aspx?FeedID=1909

Also has a leaderboard shows some real time display during the legs.  The overall leaderboard, though, doesn't seem to show (right now) the penalties imposed for the DNF leg.
It was imposed on the Jensen to Cocoa leg.

17.5. Any team not finishing a leg before the start signal for the next leg will be scored DNF 
without a hearing and without redress. Any boat not finishing a leg of any stage will 
receive a time penalty of the finishing time of the last boat plus six (6) hours without a 
hearing and without redress. Teams that incur three DNF penalties are disqualified 
without a hearing, and without appeal. This changes RSS scoring and redress rules. 

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
Almost 14 hours later and the leaders are neck and neck reaching along at 8 knots.  Rudees, and Australia.

The 2 times i sailed this leg, the fleet took the rhumb line. Was early 80's.
 The 8 times I've raced that leg the rhumb line never paid. I've done the rhumb, split between the two (that was the absolute worst) and run the inside and the inside always worked. The Fleet may "take" the rhumbline ,and they often do, but that doesn't mean it's the fastest. Herd mentality is a bitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
During the T500, I never came into Tybee at night.  Can't imagine trying to cross the Tybee Triangle at night with those deep-ass F18 boards.  Even during the day it sneaks up on you.
That is a weird approach at night. You feel farther offshore  and North of what you truly are, and the pier helps block the finish a bit adding to the confusion. 

Latest posts