Would we be happier...

oldskool

Super Anarchist
So we are stuck watching Multi's for the new cup, and although I am not a big fan of boats from outer space, I bet it will be good for the sport and really push some limits. (and for you multi guys who want to call me a bigot, get bent jacksticks, I'm still excited about the next cup)

My beef with this is that once the boats clear the start line, the tactics are more about calculating time lines to layline than they are about racing the other boat. Would we (mostly meaning go fast monohull sailors) be happier about the event if there was more, if not all fleet racing like the Extreme 40's. It would be pretty rad to watch a bunch of 72'cats blasting around SF Bay as a fleet. Tactics would be huge as would a variety of other natural factors. I think that we would all be pretty stoked on that..

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
Sorry, but this thread shows us everything that is wrong with what is going on.

This is the Americas Cup, which is a match race event. This is not some fleet race championship. If you want to see 72' winged cats sailing in a fleet, go organise an event for that and stop hijacking the Cup. But then again, RC and PC tried that and it failed, so they had to hijack the AC to make their personal view of professional sailing become a reality.

oldskool

Super Anarchist
Sorry, but this thread shows us everything that is wrong with what is going on.

This is the Americas Cup, which is a match race event. This is not some fleet race championship. If you want to see 72' winged cats sailing in a fleet, go organise an event for that and stop hijacking the Cup. But then again, RC and PC tried that and it failed, so they had to hijack the AC to make their personal view of professional sailing become a reality.
Not saying I'm stoked on cats...just think that since we are stuck with them, we should hope for something that would make it more of a tactical regatta. There was no visible tactics in the last one once the boats crossed the line and that was just lame.

And FYI, this thread is nothing that is wrong with the cup, but only an idea to make things better, so unclench and open your mind a bit.

So we are stuck watching Multi's for the new cup, and although I am not a big fan of boats from outer space, I bet it will be good for the sport and really push some limits. (and for you multi guys who want to call me a bigot, get bent jacksticks, I'm still excited about the next cup)

My beef with this is that once the boats clear the start line, the tactics are more about calculating time lines to layline than they are about racing the other boat.  Would we (mostly meaning go fast monohull sailors) be happier about the event if there was more, if not all fleet racing like the Extreme 40's.  It would be pretty rad to watch a bunch of 72'cats blasting around SF Bay as a fleet.  Tactics would be huge as would a variety of other natural factors.  I think that we would all be pretty stoked on that..
You don't deserve to offer an opinion in this forum ever again.

Stingray

Super Anarchist
PNW

My beef with this is that once the boats clear the start line, the tactics are more about calculating time lines to layline than they are about racing the other boat. Would we (mostly meaning go fast monohull sailors) be happier about the event if there was more, if not all fleet racing like the Extreme 40's. It would be pretty rad to watch a bunch of 72'cats blasting around SF Bay as a fleet. Tactics would be huge as would a variety of other natural factors. I think that we would all be pretty stoked on that..
At least in the AC World Series events, yes I do think there will be a lot of fleet racing included. RC seemed keen on the idea in the audio interview with PJ Montgomery, he even suggested that the final race in an event might be a fleet race.

For the ultimate CSS, no idea yet what the challengers will come up with but a lot of match racing seems a good bet, since the AC Final will certainly be just one on one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
Reasonable - reminds me of that gorgeous Lunatic Sailing video. But it's bound to be (even more) dangerous ..

oldskool

Super Anarchist

At least in the AC World Series events, yes I do think there will be a lot of fleet racing included. RC seemed keen on the idea in the audio interview with PJ Montgomery, he even suggested that the final race in an event might be a fleet race.

For the ultimate CSS, no idea yet what the challengers will come up with but a lot of match racing seems a good bet, since the AC Final will certainly be just one on one.
Cool. The fleet racing portion should be pretty exciting.

CrushDigital

Super Anarchist
New York, NY

AC33 is not representative of what AC34 will be like. 20 mile legs in unstable breezes meant the tactic was finding the breeze. To repeat it again, the boats in 33 were completely mismatched, the crews had practiced almost no intense maneuvering in them and were both incredibly fragile.

The box rule should address the first issue, the series the second and the protocol wind limits the third. Given that none of us have any practical experience with regards to multihull match racing, I suggest taking the pragmatic approach and wait to actually see large cats match race before declaring whether it's great or boring. Either way, it will still be more exciting than AC29.