WTF is going on here?

Recidivist

Super Anarchist
I tried to check the forums an hour or so ago, and got a message saying I needed to sign up for two stage authentication. I could not access the forums.

Now, I think 2 stage authentications is a PITA, but it seemed the only way, so I tried. The message that was displayed gave no hint as to how to do it, so I went to my account settings. That appeared to require a change of password as well. I entered a new password, and selected the option for using email for the 2 stage PITA. I got a message that a one-time code had been sent to my email address - but it was my old work-related address that hasn't been valid since I retired. I had notified the admins some months ago that my email address needed to be changed (I couldn't do it because the new email address was "in use" for a sock I created a year or more ago to tease someone, but never did use the sock and can't remember what the name was).

I sent a message again to the admins, but received no reply (probably due time differences), but when I checked again, I could get in to the forums and no 2 stage message shows.

WTF is going on?

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
I got the same somewhat cryptic message. No complexity setting up the 2-stage authentication though, and no need to change original password.

EDIT: Seems that it will require 2-stage authentication on each device you use.

Last edited:

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Yeah well it asked me for two factor and I hate hate hate two factor on account of having an iPhone that locked me out- long story don't ask.
I had to send it to Australia to be fixed and was down without bizzo phone for 10 excruciating days and here we are-no choice, not happy.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Same here. Seems to be fixed now.
Why the concern for security? This website doesn't even know my birthday much less my dogs name or any of that important shit.

jerseyguy

Super Anarchist
Same here. Seems to be fixed now.
Why the concern for security? This website doesn't even know my birthday much less my dogs name or any of that important shit.
Not fixed. Tried to access the forums and it was 2 factor time. A note on the screen said thst this device could be trusted and things were good for 30 days. Would need to do it all again in 30 days.

Horse manure