Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
wylie-60-1024x574.jpg

How ya like this Jim Betts built, Tom Wylie designed 60'

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
a 60' daysailer with almost no interior. I love Wylie cats, but this one is just a little *too* purpose built for my tastes. Fortunately, he didn't design it for my tastes and I'm sure the new owner is going to be thrilled.

BobJ

Super Anarchist
What's up with those stanchions for the mainsheets?
To gybe the WylieCat's wishbone rig you have to do a massive S-turn (90-180-90).  When you finally get the boom to come across, everything aft is a target for the miles of slack mainsheet.  My assumption is they're trying to keep more of that carnage above cockpit level.  Or maybe they have seatbelt-like retractors in them.

I'm not a fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
I like it.  For a day sailer on SF Bay, this looks ideal.  I bet it gets used much more for the casual one or two person outing than many more traditional boats.

Below, all you need is space for a cooler (or a built-in fridge), a tiny galley, a head for your invited guest, and a reasonable bunk forward "for afters".

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I like it.  For a day sailer on SF Bay, this looks ideal.  I bet it gets used much more for the casual one or two person outing than many more traditional boats.

Below, all you need is space for a cooler (or a built-in fridge), a tiny galley, a head for your invited guest, and a reasonable bunk forward "for afters".
On a sixty footer?!?  

casc27

Super Anarchist
"Hi Tom, my bank account has gotten a bit too fat but I only want to go day sailing now that I am old. What can you do to help lighten my financial burden?"

"Well, I've been working on a new slogan: give me 15 minutes with a blank design sheet could cost you a cool million."

Edit -- I kind of like it but too bad it has a forestay. A big kite on an unfettered pole always seemed an interesting proposition for singlehanded work.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
To gybe the WylieCat's wishbone rig you have to do a massive S-turn (90-180-90).  When you finally get the boom to come across, everything aft is a target for the miles of slack mainsheet.  My assumption is they're trying to keep more of that carnage above cockpit level.  Or maybe they have seatbelt-like retractors in them.

I'm not a fan.
Is that right? Painful. Cannot centerline with a boned mainsheet and then coerce the rag across? Sad.

Otherwise, I'd be cashing in my Bitcoin to buy one. They don't show the interior. Better be some bunks aft for the occaisional overnight delivery. One Stabbin'Cabin fwd is not enough.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
It's more of a slim 40-footer that's been stretched.
I get it, it just seems weird to me on a boat that big that isn’t a purpose built racer. I spent a few summers more or less living on an SC70, and I found it amusing we didn’t have a shower, but the little 30 footer down the dock did. 

Parma

Super Anarchist
here

I'm not a fan.
can't you just chicken gybe?

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
we sailed the wyliecat 30 in 15 plus and we gybed and did nothing with the strings, the sail gybed from the top down very elegantly, no heavy shocks, now, we were only in like 5-8 apparent as we were moving along, I would think that translates

randy repass was a believer in the big cat rig, sailed the pacific, etc

if it has a powered reel halyard and and an autopilot, I would kill to do the Farralones race in that boat single handed.

Latest posts