Wylie 60

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
From the renderings, the bow sections look pretty fine to my eye..

For a slim light boat like this, I would want more fullness and volume in the bow sections.

Although looking at some photos of the layup on Betts floor, it may not be as fine forward as the renderings seem to indicate.  But still, I think I would want more volume forward.

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
Wherever it ends up on the West coast the owner had better get a barrier for the stern. The sea lions are going to love the open transom and huge cockpit, party time!

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
From the renderings, the bow sections look pretty fine to my eye..

For a slim light boat like this, I would want more fullness and volume in the bow sections.

Although looking at some photos of the layup on Betts floor, it may not be as fine forward as the renderings seem to indicate.  But still, I think I would want more volume forward.
You should send a resume to Tom Wylie.  He could use a sharp eye like yours!  

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
Cool boat!  Not what I would build but I bet the owner gives 2 shits about what I think.  They'll have a shitton of fun and it keeps the Betts yard and Tom Wylie busy.  

Frers 81

Have an 81 foot converted maxi and have regularly paced with a Wylie 44 in Marina Del Rey.  They are very fast and easy to single hand.  This would be extraordinary.  As to the companion way, it keeps you on deck but out of the wind.  Easy to add a canvas cover if it starts getting wet.  Wives, daughters and girl friends will like it and complain less.  If you an afford one, you will likely have some or all of the above.  Good idea if you ask me.  Agree about the sea lions.  Little concerned about those mainsheet stanchions.  Seems like a bad gybe could take one out.  Be a lot stronger if they were connected in an arch.  Also, because they appear to be just aft of the end of the boom, good place for antennae.  A boat this fast will keep your apparent wind pretty forward most of the time.  Seems like a bowsprit and two furlers with reacher and asymmetric would be better than a pole.  IMHO.  I want one.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Have an 81 foot converted maxi and have regularly paced with a Wylie 44 in Marina Del Rey.  
Ondine VII?  Boomerang?  The first Matador, ex-Huaso?  Hispania?  Emeraude?  C'mon mate, spill the beans.  Happy days on all those in the 80s.

And show us your girl's mammalian protuberances while you're at it.

Nick G

SF BAY
Ondine VII?  Boomerang?  The first Matador, ex-Huaso?  Hispania?  Emeraude?  C'mon mate, spill the beans.  Happy days on all those in the 80s.

And show us your girl's mammalian protuberances while you're at it.
Is that Tom? 

Last edited by a moderator:

Frers 81

My my, where is the trust.  Ex Xargo from Spain.  German Frers design 1981  81 ft, 18'3" beam 12'6" draft. Talisman Weather.jpg   She exists

Talisman dock.jpg

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Xargo III, lovely boat. 

FYI, her spare 4-spreader noodly racing mast went into Drum after she rolled in the 1985 Fastnet and lost the Swan one.  Despite many misgivings, it survived all the way round the planet, and is still in the boat.