X41 vs J/122

Next

Looking for an offshore capable racer and a family friendly near shore cruiser.  Plans to race in Transpac, Pac Cup, Vic Maui type races and cruise the Pacific Northwest. 

Can anyone advise which is the better boat from a race perspective and why specifically. 

I am looking for comments from an offshore perspective mostly and secondly from a near shore racing point of view.  

How does the X 41 handle downwind in big seas etc.? I know the J better, but need to be enlighted in the X boats tendencies. 

Thanks

Next (boat) 

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
XYachts like to go topsy turvy DDW In breeze and reaching with any kind of kite up. Particularly the 41. 

Black Dog

Super Anarchist
The 122 likes light air. It will outpoint most other boats in its class. I have never raced it offshore.  

Last edited by a moderator:

SCANAS

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
X-41 Outpoints the J122 easily, it also goes downwind & DDW fine. Actually great fun to drive DDW imo. X-41 are  tippy on a beam reach where the J comes into its own. The X-41 is also pretty luxurious, nicely finished & the systems all have good purchase & are well laid out. 

Hitchhiker

Super Anarchist
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
I raced one in a downwind race from Santa Barbara to LA, not the SB 2 KH race!  It was just OK.  I think the kids nowadays would say meh!

I surveyed the same boat, a 2008 model in 2016, a bank repo sale.  There was some osmotic blistering and suspect dis-bonding/ delam in the forward hull panels so beware.  That said, you have the exact same risk with the J-122.

I have not sailed a J-122.  The Sa/d downiwnd ratios seem to favour the X-41 on paper, not by much though. But, hull shape may favour the J-122.

The Xp-44 is also a pretty good boat.  Although we beat one in the 2017 Transpac with a Summit 40.

May be a Summit 40 is a good alternative, although might be over budget? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008/summit-king-40-2211261/

Finally in that size range is the Andrews 40. It is an excellent offshore racer cruiser that will absolutely smoke the other boats here. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2007/andrews-custom-3603614/

Black Dog

Super Anarchist
Believe it. X-41 are W/L boats designed to go high & low. It’s that reaching bit in the middle they aren’t so good at. 
That's exactly my opinion of a 122 after owing and racing one for 5 years. Light air, W/L is its sweet spot.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
Buy mine, it'll be up for sale pretty soon. 

Its definitely not a J122 or X41 though it does make a comfy nearshore and offshore racer.

And a great cruiser.

And its great fun.

Beneteau_Cup18_Jules_VidPicPro.com-5186.jpg

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
What sort of moula shaggy?
Be a couple of hundred K cheaper than new. It's alway better being the second owner.

Actually, that's too generic, better being the second owner of good boats, inheriting someone ele's lemon really sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
J122 should be an easier boat to race and extract performance from. I’ve raced 3 over the years in all configurations, a near basic spec boat that happened to be hull #1, it had a carbon stick, alloy boom, furler (although later removed and a tuff luff fitted) rolled on antifoul finish and we won a few races inshore in it. The second boat had nearly every mod done to it, all deck gear upgraded, carbon rudder, durepox race finish, symmetric kite setup and the boat was a demon in w/l racing, we won lots of races. The third boat is a 122E with a teak cockpit and side decks, carbon mast, carbon boom, full interior fit out, furler fitted but not used and basic instrument setup. All 3 boats have won regattas and races. 

I briefly raced an X41 and it was great in light aura but rated high and was very tender upwind. Downwind the rudder was a touch on the small side. A heavier keel and deeper rudder might help it. 

The King/Summit 40 is a rogue option but should outperform both the 122 and X41 if sailed well enough!

A comfier option would be a J133