Yachting Australia - thieving bastards

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
I have tried to be nice about this but did not get anywhere so now I will just be abusive.

Does someone Yachting Australia bureaucrat not doubt wanting to protect his job want to explain why my IRC renewal is AUD $ 27.50/m

The exchange rate today according my bank website is around 0.50

The UK fee for renewal is according to the 2009 yearbook is GBR 7.75 pounds

So to renew in the UK is about AUD $15.50/m but in Australia I have to pay AUD $27.50/m

So I pay AUD$ 12/m to have Yachting Australia send me a yearbook and slow my certificates down by sending them via State Yachting which usually sit with them for a week or so and eventually send it on.

Lets not pretend any other service is provided as measurers time is paid for otherwise.

As the difference is around AUD$ 200. and last time I looked a RORC overseas yearly membership is less than this I guees I will just have to get a membership form and deal direct.

Some small handling would be fair enough but almost double the price is just bul#$%.

If the justification is to have IRC owners pay for other Yachting Australia activities then say so and tell us what these are.

Of course a whole lot of owners may not feel like renewing certificates if they are just been used as a "cash cow" by Yachting Australia

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried to be nice about this but did not get anywhere so now I will just be abusive.
Does someone Yachting Australia bureaucrat not doubt wanting to protect his job want to explain why my IRC renewal is AUD $ 27.50/m

So to renew in the UK is about AUD $15.50/m but in Australia I have to pay AUD $27.50/m

So I pay AUD$ 12/m to have Yachting Australia send me a yearbook and slow my certificates down by sending them via State Yachting which usually sit with them for a week or so and eventually send it on.

Lets not pretend any other service is provided as measurers time is paid for otherwise.

As the difference is around AUD$ 200. and last time I looked a RORC overseas yearly membership is less than this I guees I will just have to get a membership form and deal direct.

Some small handling would be fair enough but almost double the price is just bul#$%.

If the justification is to have IRC owners pay for other Yachting Australia activities then say so and tell us what these are.

Of course a whole lot of owners may not feel like renewing certificates if they are just been used as a "cash cow" by Yachting Australia
Ohhh dear, here we go again!

More beer & popcorn anyone?

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean

Ohhh dear, here we go again!

More beer & popcorn anyone?

At current rates I can put on 6-8 cartoons of beer with the YA extortion fees

So do you want the beer or should YA get it

BTW Jen you reading this

prozak

Anarchist
Tehran
Internal Memo I found from YA

----

All,

please be aware that we are going to be charging more money for our IRC certificates than the rest of the world.

We are doing this because most Australians are ignorant and stupid.

It is therefore easy to extrapolate that most Australian yacht owners are rich, ignorant and stupid.

Rich ignorant and stupid people will never find out that we are screwing them over.

If they do find out we will argue that most things in Australia are more expensive than overseas due to the large transportation costs.

Sincerely,

YA BIG BOSS MAN.

----

happy to help.

PS - don't shoot the messenger.

Well, how could i resist such a juicy thread.

Yes, YA use IRC as a cash cow.

And they will be introducing changes which will enforce most boats racing offshore to have an IRC cert.

And yes, for a 35 - 40 foot boat, YA collects around $120 + just to post the fucking certificate.

And they will tell you how much they are administering the rule, flying people here there, and everywhere, all in the name of administering a rule

that the fucking RORC administers exclusively.

Just ask Glen Stanaway (aka grs) - he will be more than happy to re-iterate what he's already claiming in the melbourne big boat thread.

Chris 249

Super Anarchist
Don't forget, the IRC rule was designed to allow owners to measure and boats to run off catalogue or designer weights, but YA ignores that and requires us to pay for Endorsed measurement and weighing. So they hit us twice.

Yes, we might agree that for something like the IRC nationals or Hobart, an Endorsed certificate is the way to go. But for small boats racing locally, IRC is too expensive - and that seems to be proven by the fact that we seem to have fewer small boats (as a proportion of the fleet) racing IRC than anywhere else.

Sure, YA reckons that a few hundred more bucks is no problem for the limitless pockets of owners. That's fine, as long as you want to ensure that offshore racing is a sport only for rich men. But how in hell does that attitude tie in with the missions of the YA? How does it encourage sailing?

End result is a more expensive sport with a limited choice for crew and owners. How does that achieve YA's aims, unless those aims are to get people out of the sport?

IRLGW

DIDN'T YOU SEE IT IN THIS YEARS RULES?

THERE IS A NEW MEASURMENT CALLED OVERCHARGE- APPARENTLY ITS THE SAME FORMULA USED TO CALCULATE YOUR HULL FACTOR.

craig

Super Anarchist
Don't forget, the IRC rule was designed to allow owners to measure and boats to run off catalogue or designer weights, but YA ignores that and requires us to pay for Endorsed measurement and weighing. So they hit us twice.
Yes, we might agree that for something like the IRC nationals or Hobart, an Endorsed certificate is the way to go. But for small boats racing locally, IRC is too expensive - and that seems to be proven by the fact that we seem to have fewer small boats (as a proportion of the fleet) racing IRC than anywhere else.

Sure, YA reckons that a few hundred more bucks is no problem for the limitless pockets of owners. That's fine, as long as you want to ensure that offshore racing is a sport only for rich men. But how in hell does that attitude tie in with the missions of the YA? How does it encourage sailing?

End result is a more expensive sport with a limited choice for crew and owners. How does that achieve YA's aims, unless those aims are to get people out of the sport?

For most of us it is after tax dollars so generally double the hit in earning terms.

Also there are about 600 IRC boats in Australia so 600 times say $150 is $90K and I doubt Mr Chapman at Yachting Australia gets paid this much for sitting on certificates and sending emails to Jen!

Anyone know the profit split on the certificates between RORC and YA?

For most of us it is after tax dollars so generally double the hit in earning terms.

Also there are about 600 IRC boats in Australia so 600 times say $150 is $90K and I doubt Mr Chapman at Yachting Australia gets paid this much for sitting on certificates and sending emails to Jen!

Anyone know the profit split on the certificates between RORC and YA?
An example is my boat 35ft would cost the equivalent of $180 to get IRC direct to RORC - at YA it costs a bit over $300. Imagine if YA were running the rule.

There was some mention of revenues in the IRC year book i recall.

The real issue is not whether the boat owners can afford it, (most could find an extra $100 - $200) it is about getting value for money. No-one likes to feel they are being ripped off.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
Time for RORC to stop this, it would be trivial for them to decree the max cost of the certificate. If YA needs revenue it should raise it elsewhere and be more open and transparant

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
While we are at it, RORC also need to deal with the hull factor issue in Australia as it seems that YA is incapable or unwilling to do so (hence leading to ORC club getting a foothold)

Overseas boats have to re assessed for HF upon entry into Australia to make the HF relative to the Australian fleet for the reason that over time HF criteria has been assessed differently leading to huge differerences somehow

Hang on I am wasting my time again so IRC should roll over and die in Australia and YA administration of yacht racing with along with it. (theiving bastards)

I am off to play golf!!!

Christian

Super Anarchist
While we are at it, RORC also need to deal with the hull factor issue in Australia as it seems that YA is incapable or unwilling to do so (hence leading to ORC club getting a foothold)
Overseas boats have to re assessed for HF upon entry into Australia to make the HF relative to the Australian fleet for the reason that over time HF criteria has been assessed differently leading to huge differerences somehow

Hang on I am wasting my time again so IRC should roll over and die in Australia and YA administration of yacht racing with along with it. (theiving bastards)

I am off to play golf!!!
Do you have any concrete examples of this - including how the hull factor changed by being asessed in AUS? It does sound to me like a complete crock of shit.

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean

I am off to play golf!!!
Do you have any concrete examples of this - including how the hull factor changed by being asessed in AUS? It does sound to me like a complete crock of shit.
Yep

My 1978 timber two tonner (with cruising interior) getting a HF of 7.8 while a Bene 44.7 gets a healthy 8.0

You want me the start on the A35 vs say a Sydney 36

Like I said I am off to play golf.

savoir

Super Anarchist
Before hitting the golf course lydia how about scanning and posting a copy of your original non Australian rating certificate ?

Chris 249

Super Anarchist

I am off to play golf!!!
Yep

My 1978 timber two tonner (with cruising interior) getting a HF of 7.8 while a Bene 44.7 gets a healthy 8.0

You want me the start on the A35 vs say a Sydney 36

Like I said I am off to play golf.
So how many sisterships of this 1978 two tonner were measured overseas? What's the displacement/length ratio, draft, interior, weight concentration etc of your 1978 two tonner, compared to a 44.7?

A HF of 7.8 is pretty low. A Farr 40 IOR is around 9.3; the 1975 Farr 1104 is 8. An S&S 34 is around 7.5. The production First 42 (1978 vintage Frers 2 ton) is 7.5. The US Peterson 46 Aleta, with a pretty distorted hull, is 7.6 (and winning). The 1980 IOR Holland 47 Infinity is 8.8.

What design is it, BTW? I can't recall a new wooden 2 tonner in 1978 in Oz.

Latest posts